The Student Room Group

HELP!!! Confused between bonds and reactions?

Ok so in my book its says that monomers are bonded together by convelent bonds but then it says that they are linked together by condensation reactions? Isnt bonding and link the same thing so its either a convelent bond or a condensation reaction?
Original post by Tj789
Ok so in my book its says that monomers are bonded together by convelent bonds but then it says that they are linked together by condensation reactions? Isnt bonding and link the same thing so its either a convelent bond or a condensation reaction?

You're confused because you're overcomplicating things.
The monomers undergo condensation reactions (the elimination of a small molecule eg H2O or HCl) to form new covalent bonds that join them together to make form a polymer. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tj789

Hi, I can see where you might be confused. The covalent bonds between the monomers form when a condensation reaction has happened.
It's the same thing
A net covalent bond between monomers is formed from a condensation reaction.

Quick Reply

Latest