The Student Room Group

Aat/aca/acca

I have recently quit A levels, mainly because I was self teaching both years in 1 and it was far too much then I was let down by my tutors.

So I am now looking into careers routes from here and one is Accountancy, I am currently working for my boyfriend as a PA and have been since August 2005. From the Newcastle College I have found an Online Learning NVQ for Business and Administration which I can do whilst working and my local FE college runs NVQs Level 2, 3 and 4 in Accounting and the courses have 2 start dates, 1 in March and 1 in September and most Accounting firms seem to recruit their trainees in the summer. So I was thinking of starting the Accounting NVQ in March.

So by the summer I will have a Level 3 NVQ in Business and Administration, 2 years work experience and be partway through an Accounting NVQ. From the ACCA website I found the entry requirements and as I will be over 18 and have a level 3 qualification I will be able to start straight on the ACCA missing out the CAT but I couldn't find anything on the ACA website about starting with a qualification other than A levels or doing the AAT, is it possible? Or will I have to wait a year and do A levels via evening classes (which I was planning on doing anyway, I just wanted to be training at the same time). I would rather do the ACA as it is supposedly more respected.

I am intending on doing a degree in the future.

Scroll to see replies

Why not go the CAT - ACCA route?

With a CAT you have a REAL and OFFICIAL accounting qualification that will help you get a job and move you onto level 2 of the ACCA - it's pretty much a way into the ACCA if you do not have the required GCSE/A Levels

An NVQ Level 3/4 gets you ONTO the ACCA - a CAT will get you onto level *2* of the ACCA so you save laods of time. As I say CAT is also a qualification.

On the other hand you can go for an AAT which I see advertised much more than I do CAT for trainee jobs - this IS an NVQ in Accounting - at Level 4 I think and can also get you onto the ACCA. It seems an AAT will get you onto the 2nd year of the ACCA (i would confirm that tho)

According to the ACA (ICAEW) 87% of their trainees are graduates. I have found that jobs with ACA trainee schemes will often want high A level gardes anyway - so if you are not doing A levels anymore then your best bet to a ACA may be the AAT - ACA Fast track

http://www.icaew.co.uk/careers/facts/whatistheAAT.htm

You MAY or may not need to be in employment to be able to do the AAT and CAT because I udnerstand that they are very hands on based sort of thing - I know with the ACCA that you do not HAVE to be in employment whilst you take the exams (i.e I knwo peopel working in diff sectors who do ACCA exams on the side because they wanna move into finance) - you can get the necessary 3 years work expeiernce that you need to qualificy as an ACCA well after you have doen your exams if you want.

Is the NVQ you are thinking of doing translate into an AAT at the end? Because at least then you will have an official accounting qualification that will help you find a job..
Reply 2
Thanks for that, it does look like the CAT or AAT would be the best route, that way I wont feel like I am skipping things :s:
They will probably be best for you when you goto get a job - there are a great many AAT training jobs so you could just get a job and train at the same time.
Reply 4
I'm abit confused really, I'll try and summarise what you can really do in this situation though.

AAT then ACCA, this will take 5 years to become a qualified accountant.

AAT-ACA fast track, 4 years to become a qualified accountant.

ACCA or ACA straight off, 3 years.

You're unlikely to be able to do ACCA or ACA straight off without A-levels, even AAT might be difficult.

What you could try and do is join a firm as a trainee, mention that you've enrolled on AAT or whatever and see if they let you.

I have to ask, though, why do you think accountancy is the route for you, and why did you stop self-teaching a-levels? Accountancy qualifications are almost 100% self-taught..
Reply 5
I stopped for various reasons nothing really to do with the self teaching itself.
Reply 6
Didn't PWC offer the AAT? I thought they did but looked on their website today and couldn't find anything?
Reply 7
Look for the headstart programme :smile:
Reply 8
Reply 9
No worries :smile:
Reply 10
Yeh they offer AAT and ACCA as far as I know, but I think you have to have A-levels?

Best thing to do would be to contact local firms and see if they have any trainee positions.
You normally have to have BBB at A-level for headstart, I think...
Being honest, I think it willl be hard to get that type of job without A-levels, especially when they require study in your own time, and unfortunately you lack evidence of ability to study, even though i'm sure you have a valid reason for it. Self teaching some of the AAT would be a great demonstration of your ability though.
Reply 12
melquíades el gitano
Being honest, I think it willl be hard to get that type of job without A-levels, especially when they require study in your own time, and unfortunately you lack evidence of ability to study, even though i'm sure you have a valid reason for it. Self teaching some of the AAT would be a great demonstration of your ability though.

Agreed, although you need BBC at A-levels. :smile:

The gap year requires atleast 300 UCAS points, while the flying start degree at Newcastle requires AAB.
Reply 13
melquíades el gitano

I have said I was going to start with the AAT
Reply 14
The problem is, AAT is useless without hands on experience, thats the whole point of "apprenticeships" - you'd be better off enrolling onto AAT now, and then applying for local trainee positions highlighting the fact that you've started AAT.

Don't just wait for job adverts to come about in the paper though, go to www.accountancyage.com/top50 and find out which firms are in your area, ring them up and ask them if they're looking to recruit a trainee.
Reply 15
I am currently studying AAT and working full - its not that bad to be honest, as long as you stay ontop of your work!!

Most places do offer you a role with AAT and will more than likely pay for your training.
Reply 16
I am currrently deciding whether to finish my Business Studies A level, look for an AAT position or do an Open University Law degree whilst remaining in my current job as an administrator.
Reply 17
Why not stick it out for however long u have left? you can always look into getting onto the course after that? if you wanted to do AAT - they also offer the accelerated course in which you do your 1st 2 yrs in 1 yr - NVQ 2 & 3 - but i believe its 4 days a week

What area are you from?
Reply 18
Because I already stopped doing my A levels 3 weeks ago. I am from Cumbria in North West England.
Reply 19
I just had a quick browse on some recruitment websites and most of them have some roles available in and around Cumbria for AAT candidates

Theres some good job websites on the net, Totaljobs etc

Latest