The Student Room Group

Cambridge UMS queries!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joe12345marc
I can't rep you again, gotta "wait" xD I thought the STEP harshness was only for pure mathmos, because you really don't do that much more advanced maths than people doing for example CS w/ physics I believe it's only one more topic yet you have to hit this much harder offer :/

IIRC maths with compsci people do about half the modules that normal mathmos do in first year, so they have to be sure that the student is capable of handling it and won't bomb out half of the course.

Also I am pretty sure that if you hit your A Level requirements but miss out on STEP by a little, there's a good chance of being allowed on to the normal compsci course.
Original post by ClickItBack
IIRC maths with compsci people do about half the modules that normal mathmos do in first year, so they have to be sure that the student is capable of handling it and won't bomb out half of the course.

Also I am pretty sure that if you hit your A Level requirements but miss out on STEP by a little, there's a good chance of being allowed on to the normal compsci course.

Really? Would they offer you that of would you have to request it? Wow didn't know that was even a possibility!

Also, is there any point in beating you A level requirements then just incase you miss your STEP offer? Example: Offer = A*A*A 1,2 ,,, Achieve A*A*A* 2,2... Still got any chance?
Really? Would they offer you that of would you have to request it? Wow didn't know that was even a possibility!

Yeah I'm pretty sure I've heard of this happening before. You could try asking an admissions tutor if this has happened in the past too. I think they just offer it to you.

Also, is there any point in beating you A level requirements then just incase you miss your STEP offer? Example: Offer = A*A*A 1,2 ,,, Achieve A*A*A* 2,2... Still got any chance?

I can't answer that really, it's contingent on many factors - spaces in your college, what they thought of you/your interviews, how close you were to a 1, etc. But doing the best you can is always advisable of course.
Reply 24
Yeah I'm pretty sure I've heard of this happening before. You could try asking an admissions tutor if this has happened in the past too. I think they just offer it to you.

I can't answer that really, it's contingent on many factors - spaces in your college, what they thought of you/your interviews, how close you were to a 1, etc. But doing the best you can is always advisable of course.

Yes it happens. But, OP, a better bet is to hit the offer :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by jneill
Oh and if your applying for Comp Sci with Maths you're more likely to get an offer anyway, because they use STEP as a further selection requirement and roughly 50% of people miss their offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not true, that only works for pure maths. CS w/maths is treated like any other CS applicant (albeit with a higher offer) and even if you miss STEP they frequently (some colleges always) let you in for normal CS w/something else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending