The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A

Hi :smile:
I'm studying physics at AS-Level, hoping to move onto A2 at home. I was wondering what books people would recommend? A friend has recommended University Physics by Young and Freedman, and I've got the OCR Physics A book and CGP revision guide. Just wondering if there are any other books that you've found helpful? I should be able to go through those books alright, so was hoping for a little more.

Also wondering if anyone has any useful sites or books etc directly related to the practical exams? Since I'm studying from home this will be one of the major problems I think, since I can't really practice them.

I'm looking for part-time courses or evening classes but am struggling to find any in my area, I can only find private tutors, which seem to be about £30 an hour, which is simply too much to justify (I'd have to do 5 hours overtime at work to cover the cost of 1 lesson!)

Thanks for any help :smile:
Original post by f mars
Hi :smile:
I'm studying physics at AS-Level, hoping to move onto A2 at home. I was wondering what books people would recommend? A friend has recommended University Physics by Young and Freedman, and I've got the OCR Physics A book and CGP revision guide. Just wondering if there are any other books that you've found helpful? I should be able to go through those books alright, so was hoping for a little more.

Also wondering if anyone has any useful sites or books etc directly related to the practical exams? Since I'm studying from home this will be one of the major problems I think, since I can't really practice them.

I'm looking for part-time courses or evening classes but am struggling to find any in my area, I can only find private tutors, which seem to be about £30 an hour, which is simply too much to justify (I'd have to do 5 hours overtime at work to cover the cost of 1 lesson!)

Thanks for any help :smile:

I like Advanced Physics (5th Ed), Tom Duncan for being an excellently thought out book

plenty around & can be picked up second hand on amazon

NB rather old now but the specs haven't really changed much imo
Reply 2
For AS-Levels I used OCR Physics AS level student book by Hutchings and Hackett and the equivalent for A2. I also used the CGP books to quickly look over topics but they don't go into that much detail. In relation to your question about websites, I used hyperphysics a lot and still do now in my first year of physics at university.
Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest