The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Postgrad Funding/Deadline to Respond to Offers

Hello all,

I'm getting a bit antsy, waiting on word about funding. As an American going for a taught MA, it looks like funding is limited. I've been accepted to UCL (Philosophy), Birmingham (Philosophy of Mind and Cognitive Science), Sheffield (Philosophy), and Kent at Paris (History and Philosophy of Art) so far. I am waiting on an offer from King's (Philosophy).

I am leaning towards UCL for its Philosophical Gourmet ranking, class sizes, reputation, and location. I also like that it's more focused on postgrads and research. The problem is that UCL and London are very expensive for an overseas student, which is why I'd like to wait until I know whether my scholarship applications have been successful before I 100% commit.

I do very much like the program at Birmingham. Rankings-wise, it's a good bit below UCL, but it's still a strong program in a strong department. I've applied for a couple of scholarships, and, money-wise, it seems like a cheaper choice whether I receive the scholarships or not. Hence my ambivalence on accepting any offers just yet.

If all my scholarship applications are successful (unlikely), Kent will pay the most money, and though I know it's not as great of a school as the rest, money is a huge factor. Plus it's in Paris, which is a plus.

How long can I wait before I respond to my offers? I should know whether I've secured scholarships by mid-June, but it seems like these schools would want to hear from me before then.

Any advice is appreciated.
Original post by dear_tristesse
Hello all,

I'm getting a bit antsy, waiting on word about funding. As an American going for a taught MA, it looks like funding is limited. I've been accepted to UCL (Philosophy), Birmingham (Philosophy of Mind and Cognitive Science), Sheffield (Philosophy), and Kent at Paris (History and Philosophy of Art) so far. I am waiting on an offer from King's (Philosophy).

I am leaning towards UCL for its Philosophical Gourmet ranking, class sizes, reputation, and location. I also like that it's more focused on postgrads and research. The problem is that UCL and London are very expensive for an overseas student, which is why I'd like to wait until I know whether my scholarship applications have been successful before I 100% commit.

I do very much like the program at Birmingham. Rankings-wise, it's a good bit below UCL, but it's still a strong program in a strong department. I've applied for a couple of scholarships, and, money-wise, it seems like a cheaper choice whether I receive the scholarships or not. Hence my ambivalence on accepting any offers just yet.

If all my scholarship applications are successful (unlikely), Kent will pay the most money, and though I know it's not as great of a school as the rest, money is a huge factor. Plus it's in Paris, which is a plus.

How long can I wait before I respond to my offers? I should know whether I've secured scholarships by mid-June, but it seems like these schools would want to hear from me before then.

Any advice is appreciated.

You should definitely respond to them before June. Especially if you're not a UK/EU citizen as you'll need to go through the visa process and such. As much as it might suck, there's also the option for federal direct and plus. Birmingham is a great school though and city. London is crazy expensive, especially if you're coming from the states(and not from a major city)

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending