The Student Room Group

Most Overrated Footballers

Scroll to see replies

Leighton Baines is up there.
Reply 41
Oscar is a bit overrated imo and I am a Chelsea fan.
Reply 42
Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi. How these players are considered the best players of all time is beyond me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Hummels Kroos De Gea Fabregas Pique Sturridge
Original post by LucentDoughnut98
Luke Shaw, Shane Long and Joe Hart have to be up there somewhere in my opinion

Good shout with Hart. I don't think he's any better than Mignolet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would say Ivanovic is overrated. Leaves us to dry defensively and being an indirect set piece master doesn't make up for the pletheora of **** crosses he puts in game after game. It's part of the reason why we score so many goals from set pieces(be it first or second phase)

Rooney is a bit overrated, being seen as United's saviour but in reality they could really do with a better striker than him as he doesn't fit the system.

Original post by samba
Hummels Kroos De Gea Fabregas Pique Sturridge

Fabregas, Hummels yeah they're overrated. Possibly De Gea but I disagree on Kroos, Pique and Sturridge. Pique is hardly rated anymore since Puyol left. Kroos plays in an unfamiliar role and is left to cover for both Modric and himself atm as Khedira is terrible.
(edited 9 years ago)
Gary Cahill. Saying that he's being found out this season anyways. Last season i heard Chelsea fans saying he's world class or very close lmao.

Also Daley Blind
(edited 9 years ago)
Zabaleta. Not overrated per se, but more that his substantial drop in performance this season compared to last hasn't really been highlighted.

Not to be pedantic, but going on the strict definition of "overrated", I would argue Falcao is probably the least overrated player in the United team, considering the fact that no one wants him playing in the first team nor signed on a permanent deal. If anything he's valued exactly how he should be, or is perhaps even undervalued if you think he can recapture any sort of form in the correct set-up.
Original post by Dirtybit
Gary Cahill. Saying that he's being found out this season anyways. Last season i heard Chelsea fans saying he's world class or very close lmao.

Also Daley Blind

Yeah, dw I was under no illusions with Cahill looking good because of Terry. Tbh everybody knows the level of Chelsea's players. I wouldn't say any of our players are overrated any more. Ramires around 2012 was, David Luiz(at CB) was.

If anything Willian, but you know what you're getting with him now and he's actually improved since January.
Reply 49
Original post by Vondas
Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi. How these players are considered the best players of all time is beyond me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why should they not be? Name a footballer in the last 20-30 years that was better and more consistent than those two?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by jam277

Fabregas, Hummels yeah they're overrated. Possibly De Gea but I disagree on Kroos, Pique and Sturridge. Pique is hardly rated anymore since Puyol left. Kroos plays in an unfamiliar role and is left to cover for both Modric and himself atm as Khedira is terrible.

He's rated, just not in England. Kroos was always overrated imo, but that's a personal thing. Sturridge is good, but he's nowhere near as good as people make out.

I agree on Rooney, always feel that he never fulfilled his potential.
Reply 51
Original post by jamiepango
Zabaleta. Not overrated per se, but more that his substantial drop in performance this season compared to last hasn't really been highlighted.

Always thought Zabaleta was pretty undervalued. He's having a poor season, but he's been a beast for years.
Original post by Vondas

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well aren't you edgy
Cahill certainly, it speaks great volumes how poor the Premier League has become for him to be considered for team of the first half of the season, bang average defender who has world class defensive coaches, never been any better than Skrtel. Also says a lot for how bad England have become if he is the best Centre Back, 10 years ago with Ferdinand, Terry, Carragher, King, Woodgate and Sol Campbell, Cahill would have got nowhere near that, piss poor defender.

Agree with previous mentions on Kompany, but dont understand the Hummels shout, the guy is world class although probably not right to be Captain at Dortmund. He has been an essential part of a team that won back to back Bundesliga's, including a German double, part of the Dortmund 2013 CL Final team and was amazing at the World Cup. He'd be in a Premier League best 11, alongside Terry, who I think is better now than he ever has been before.
Original post by samba
He's rated, just not in England. Kroos was always overrated imo, but that's a personal thing. Sturridge is good, but he's nowhere near as good as people make out.

I agree on Rooney, always feel that he never fulfilled his potential.

Will have to disagree on Kroos and Sturridge. Kroos' distribution is 10/10, at the level of Xavi in his prime, he's being made to play a role as a DLP in a midfield 2 which he hasn't done before properly.

Sturridge well his record at Pool speaks for itself, obviously he ain't a Suarez but the guys just bloomed a little later than expected, also being English means he's less rated.

Yeah Rooney could have done more, think he's just lost a bit of pace due to injury but he's adapted his game accordingly.
Gestede, Will Hughes, Grabban are champ ones I can think of off the top of my head.
Original post by Vondas

Posted from TSR Mobile

I reckon the stats speak for themselves haha. Granted Pele has unbelievable stats, but there's always debates about "he never played in England, I bet he can't do that over here" and so forth. Ronaldo and Messi in my books are the best players of our generation and if you think about other present footballers, no one is even close to them in my opinion. I've mainly been a biased towards Ronaldo because I'm a united fan lol, and even though he has a better aerial and physical presence, Messi has been something else this season.

If you had to pick anyone that you think could give them a good game/has better game in their prime who would you choose out of curiosity? I know I just named "pele" probably the most common example, but who else? Zico? Maradona? Batistuta?
Pele scored like half of his actual career goals in friendlies.
Reply 58
Original post by lankyryan
Cahill certainly, it speaks great volumes how poor the Premier League has become for him to be considered for team of the first half of the season, bang average defender who has world class defensive coaches, never been any better than Skrtel. Also says a lot for how bad England have become if he is the best Centre Back, 10 years ago with Ferdinand, Terry, Carragher, King, Woodgate and Sol Campbell, Cahill would have got nowhere near that, piss poor defender.

Agree with previous mentions on Kompany, but dont understand the Hummels shout, the guy is world class although probably not right to be Captain at Dortmund. He has been an essential part of a team that won back to back Bundesliga's, including a German double, part of the Dortmund 2013 CL Final team and was amazing at the World Cup. He'd be in a Premier League best 11, alongside Terry, who I think is better now than he ever has been before.

Lol, he's either one or the other. He isn't that bad imo.
The world cup argument is silly as it is unreasonable to expect a great player to be able to lead an average team to victory in a cup which only happens every 4 years where most of the time you will encounter far greater teams.

Yet, that's the reason why Maradona is the best ever imo. He did the unreasonable. Not only with Argentina in the world cup but also with Napoli at a time when no team from the south of Italy had ever won the league title.

Messi is currently second but by the end of his career it will be hard to argue against the stats and the sheer number of records.

Pele is overrated imo
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest