The Student Room Group

Depressed and I've missed two months of university.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
*HUGS* i've been there, you can do this!! Just meet your deadline (I know it's hard, but it'll be worth it when you're out of this mental hole) and, then, start focusing on yourself! Do what makes you happy or find how to be happy on your own. It took me a while to beat depression (serious, chronic depression), but I beat it! Never thought I would, but I did!! You can do this!!! PM me any time.
Hi OP!
I feel like you could be describing me a couple months ago I was so stressed so anxious and went to the doctors and counsellors for several months prior. I think it's important to assess the situation and admit to yourself if you really can't carry on and its hurting your health. It took me not being able to leave the house to go to a lecture and having panic attacks at the thought of it to realise I was at that point but honestly if the signs are there go to your tutor or counsellor as soon as possible because the sooner you go the more help you'll get.
I know it's hard but honestly it's such a relief someone knowing you are struggling. Also I'm in my final year too, well I was, but I interrupted my studies due to these medical reasons so maybe that could be an option for you? or just taking longer to complete the year and graduating a bit later? Honestly asking what can be done to help you through could do you the world of good, good luck OP :hugs:
Reply 23
Original post by samba
Meds and counselling won't be a magic fix all, especially when you're struggling with the motivation to see tutors/get out of the house. Gotta be kind to yourself too and not beat yourself up too much about things. Baby steps, try to make one a day or so. Do you live with your mum?

Yes, and my dad and my sister when she's not at university.
Reply 24

That's actually really helpful, thank you :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by vanillapod
*HUGS* i've been there, you can do this!! Just meet your deadline (I know it's hard, but it'll be worth it when you're out of this mental hole) and, then, start focusing on yourself! Do what makes you happy or find how to be happy on your own. It took me a while to beat depression (serious, chronic depression), but I beat it! Never thought I would, but I did!! You can do this!!! PM me any time.

It's difficult trying to catch up when you have idea what you're doing and the information online doesn't give you much to go on. But thank you, I might hold you up to that and send you a message at a later date.
Reply 26
Original post by The_Super_Nerd(:
Hi OP!
I feel like you could be describing me a couple months ago I was so stressed so anxious and went to the doctors and counsellors for several months prior. I think it's important to assess the situation and admit to yourself if you really can't carry on and its hurting your health. It took me not being able to leave the house to go to a lecture and having panic attacks at the thought of it to realise I was at that point but honestly if the signs are there go to your tutor or counsellor as soon as possible because the sooner you go the more help you'll get.
I know it's hard but honestly it's such a relief someone knowing you are struggling. Also I'm in my final year too, well I was, but I interrupted my studies due to these medical reasons so maybe that could be an option for you? or just taking longer to complete the year and graduating a bit later? Honestly asking what can be done to help you through could do you the world of good, good luck OP :hugs:

The only problem is that my tutor isn't available very often so I get nervous about approaching her.
The interrupted studies sounds like an option as the stress of completing everything on time is really getting to me. Could you tell me more about it? Perhaps in a private message if that's easier than on here.
Original post by kaykayM
I've missed two months of university.

I've been feeling really down, unmotivated, helpless, hopeless, pointless, lazy, boring, guilty, and like everything I'm going to do is going to turn out bad. My mum persuaded me to make an appointment with the doctor and I've been diagnosed as depressed. The gp gave me medication and a number to call for counselling.

I'm in my third year of a teaching degree and I have a deadline in 2 weeks time. I'm also supposed to be collecting data for another module (research project), but I haven't done anything and it's supposed to be completed - and that includes all the data analysed - by the end of March (the final deadline is the end of April).

I'm so behind in all my work and I feel like I can't approach my personal development tutor. I did email her and set up a meeting, but the only day she is available is on the day my assignment is due in and I feel like that's too late.

As this is my final year, it's crucial that I get good grades. I've already handed in one assignment and the grade I got on that was disappointing so if I don't do well in my next few assignments it will bring my entire final % for the year down.

Basically, I don't know what to do. I feel like I won't be able to catch up in time and I don't want to drop out of university altogether.

Please help, I'm desperate.

Thank you.

Teaching and depression!!! Did u really choose the right course? cuz it doesnt sound ideal to u.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by kieran101090
Teaching and depression!!! Did u really choose the right course? cuz it doesnt sound ideal to u.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aha yes, it's what I've always wanted to do. :smile:
I'm currently on a year out of university because of depression, definitely see a doctor and then ask a university tutor if it would be possible to interrupt your degree for a year so that you can get better.
Original post by kaykayM
It's difficult trying to catch up when you have idea what you're doing and the information online doesn't give you much to go on. But thank you, I might hold you up to that and send you a message at a later date.

i was 150 lectures behind ... YOU CAN DO THIS.
Original post by kieran101090

Posted from TSR Mobile

depression is an illness; it's like saying: oh, you suffer from lung cancer, how can you be a teacher? It doesn't necessarily have to impact those who she teaches! (Although if it does, that's another issue!)
Reply 32
Original post by vanillapod
depression is an illness; it's like saying: oh, you suffer from lung cancer, how can you be a teacher? It doesn't necessarily have to impact those who she teaches! (Although if it does, that's another issue!)

:smile:
Reply 33
Original post by Millyshyn
I'm currently on a year out of university because of depression, definitely see a doctor and then ask a university tutor if it would be possible to interrupt your degree for a year so that you can get better.

I'm currently emailing my tutor to ask for some advice. Thank you. :smile:
Original post by kaykayM
The only problem is that my tutor isn't available very often so I get nervous about approaching her.
The interrupted studies sounds like an option as the stress of completing everything on time is really getting to me. Could you tell me more about it? Perhaps in a private message if that's easier than on here.

feel free to PM whenever you like :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest