The Student Room Group

Subjects to chose in A-level for a degree in Economics??

I am in the final steps of choosing my A-levels and I am still confused!
Further maths is a definite NO for me! I was even so hesitant to just pick maths, however a lot of people explained to me that I should if I wish to pursue a degree in Economics.

I am thinking of choosing Geography, History, Economics and Maths.
However I was confused whether to swap Geography for English Literature or Politics etc.

Also, are taking BOTH Geography and History bad at A level?
i am applying to study economics in LSE, UCL and Warrick. If you want to get into the top uni's you definitely have to do maths. I don't take further maths as i don't enjoy maths that much but it is suggested for uni's like LSE. i wouldn't suggest taking economics at a level as the university course and a level course are completely different lol. the university course is mainly maths based. i take for AS, Chemisty, Physics, Maths, Product Design (Easy A) and computing. i am dropping computing and physics and taking on Chemistry, Maths and product design. YOU HAVE TO ACHIEVE AN A IN AS MATHS! if you want to get anywhere successful in the business world (100k upwards) you are going to want to go to one of the top universities i stated previously, specifically LSE. If you qualify from one of these units you are laughing. however all these units require a A in maths minimum. i wouldn't really suggest taking history or geography but something more highly stated like physics or any other science. however definitely choose something you will get an A in. Personally i don't think that an economics degree would be best for you but rather something like law based on the subnets you stated above. unless you are highly money motivated i would think about taking a different course.
Original post by MacRevision
i am applying to study economics in LSE, UCL and Warrick. If you want to get into the top uni's you definitely have to do maths. I don't take further maths as i don't enjoy maths that much but it is suggested for uni's like LSE. i wouldn't suggest taking economics at a level as the university course and a level course are completely different lol. the university course is mainly maths based. i take for AS, Chemisty, Physics, Maths, Product Design (Easy A) and computing. i am dropping computing and physics and taking on Chemistry, Maths and product design. YOU HAVE TO ACHIEVE AN A IN AS MATHS! if you want to get anywhere successful in the business world (100k upwards) you are going to want to go to one of the top universities i stated previously, specifically LSE. If you qualify from one of these units you are laughing. however all these units require a A in maths minimum. i wouldn't really suggest taking history or geography but something more highly stated like physics or any other science. however definitely choose something you will get an A in. Personally i don't think that an economics degree would be best for you but rather something like law based on the subnets you stated above. unless you are highly money motivated i would think about taking a different course.

History is a very well respected subject. However a more mathematical subject may be more useful.
Reply 3
Original post by MacRevision

Thanks for the fast reply! I only picked the subjects I stated above, as I believe that they were the best for economics? I do not really enjoy them. I did not think sciences linked with economics that much? Also what did you obtain in your GCSE's?
Reply 4
Thanks!
However, would a science be relevant? It is quite different from Economics.
Also would LSE accept me despite not doing further maths and having average GCSE's?
Reply 5
I obtained a B in Maths and English and B's for my other subjects but an A in RE.

Do you think a Science such as Chem or Physics can make up for the absence of FM?
Reply 6
Thank you for replying so fast!
So I would not be able to get in to LSE because I got a B :000? NOO
Is Physics a harder A level than Chemisty or Biology because I prefer them two better.
And do you not advice me to choose History or/and Geography?
Reply 7
Haha! I am just in the process of choosing my A levels and was wondering do you think there is an ULTIMATE best combination of four subjects to do at A level to do a degree in LSE for economics/business or another economics degree?

Excluding further maths haha
Thank you
Reply 8
Original post by Azim101
Thanks!
However, would a science be relevant? It is quite different from Economics.
Also would LSE accept me despite not doing further maths and having average GCSE's?

I've still not quite figured out 100% how this will work

But, with the removal of AS exams (partly), it means uni's will mostly be going off GCSE grades. Now can't say for certain, but my assumption for an offer from likes of LSE, they will be wanting a lot of A/A*s. But this isn't based off anything concrete, just my understanding of the new system...

In terms of further maths - email them! You can contact the faculties on their website, ask the admissions tutor their requirements. It will most likely say on the website too under entry requirements
Reply 9
I'd say definitely take maths. But not only take maths, do well in maths. Also if you want to know what not to take if you're really dead set on going to LSE read the site:
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/lseEntryRequirements.aspx
Reply 10
Original post by AdamCee
I've still not quite figured out 100% how this will work

But, with the removal of AS exams (partly), it means uni's will mostly be going off GCSE grades. Now can't say for certain, but my assumption for an offer from likes of LSE, they will be wanting a lot of A/A*s. But this isn't based off anything concrete, just my understanding of the new system...

In terms of further maths - email them! You can contact the faculties on their website, ask the admissions tutor their requirements. It will most likely say on the website too under entry requirements

I emailed! and for Economics and Economic history, they require an A in a level maths but no FM is required.
Reply 11
Loool, thanks so much! You really helped me structure better options!

Quick Reply

Latest