The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

London?
Also I reckon Stanford is probably a little better than Warwick (urgh).
you miss the point.

were not saying they are equal in academics..we are talking about equivs..e.g MIT is the geeky computing Uni of USA..just like Imperial is in UK..where as Harvard + Yale = our Oxbridge..

seeing as Stanford is a campus Uni i thought it would be more like Warwick than UCL (which was my original choice).
Ok but I still wouldn't compare Stanford with Warwick. Maybe a decent Scottish uni with a more campus feel. Also Harvard is probably more like Cambridge, seeing as it was founded by a Cambridge graduate, and although I much prefer Oxford to Cambridge I think Cambridge probably takes the top place in the UK - they are less social (like Harvard) and more focused on doing what they do best.
Also isn't Princeton a bit like Oxford.
dunno...btw theres a Etonian thread (by Lord Charles) in the "Welcome Lounge".
The Ace is Back
Ok but I still wouldn't compare Stanford with Warwick. Maybe a decent Scottish uni with a more campus feel.

Why?
Reply 27
abrp
carefull..if you continue to type BS i will give you positive rep.

scared? :biggrin:

personally i would have thought in terms of "equivs" its like this: (a bit hard considering that USA has 3k Unis and UK only has like 100).

Harvard = Oxford
Yale = Cambridge (ie isnt as good but tries ever so hard to be :wink:)
MIT = Imperial
Stanford = Warwick

p.s i recommend everyone read about the Caltech vs MIT rivalry and the pranks they pulled..especially the cannon heist...very funny to say the least..shame same doesnt happen in UK.

cambridge > oxford for sciences
vb07
cambridge > oxford for sciences

lies =/= reality.

:wink:

(just kidding..doesnt really matter imo..either would be great for w/e subject you choose imo)
How could anyone compare Warwick and Stanford, Stanford is ranked #2 in the world.
oh ffs..im saying UK equivilent..tongue in cheeck..e.g. Stanford in US is closest to what Warwick is to us in UK

understand? I AM NOT COMPARING THEM ACADEMICALLY.

god..being a black woman who got a BA from Stanford, exchange at oxford and getting MSc from LSE should surely have helped you understand what i was getting at :wink:
For someone who doesn't like the fact that I've mentioned my race on TSR, you seem to bring it up unnecessarily an awful lot.
shady lane
How could anyone compare Warwick and Stanford, Stanford is ranked #2 in the world.

A bit slow/retarded there Shady Lane...
Yeah definitely can't really compare Warwick and Stanford that's true.
But since the title of this thread is about maths, and that Warwick's maths department is one of the best in the world and so is Stanford's, then yes in that case we can compare them. But this thread has moved on quite a bit from the original topic so I'll leave it there.
It's a poor comparison, either academically or as UK equivalent. Stanford is more like Imperial/LSE in prestige both inside and outside the country. Saying they are similar because they are campus unis is just kind of dumb to be honest!
shady lane
It's a poor comparison, either academically or as UK equivalent. Stanford is more like Imperial/LSE in prestige both inside and outside the country. Saying they are similar because they are campus unis is just kind of dumb to be honest!

yes but i compared Imperial to MIT :wink:

and i wanted to compare it to LSE..but LSE is just social sciences ..

meh..who cares..they are all AMAZING UNIS!

i would love to have gone to Yale or Stanford.
warblersrule
Stanford
#1 Biology
#1 Computer Engineering
#1 Computer Science
#1 Physics
#2 Earth Sciences
#2 Electrical Engineering
#2 Mechanical Engineering
#2 Mathematics
#3 Chemistry

MIT
#1 Chemistry
#1 Computer Engineering
#1 Computer Science
#1 Electrical Engineering
#1 Mathematics
#1 Mechanical Engineering
#1 Physics
#2 Biology
#2 Earth Sciences

Source: US News

Is that for undergrad or grad? Just curious.

Though, I now need to see where UC Berkeley and UCLA and UCSD are comparatively ranked, to use against the bf, lol.
shady lane

I believe someone just did, if I am not mistaken, so it's definitely possible. Come on get a grip, people... who the hell cares about #2 versus #5 or #20 etc.- rankings can change at the drop of a hat.
The Orientalist
Why?

Because, let's face it, Warwick is a pretty **** university outside of things like Economics/Maths. :smile:
abrp
oh ffs..im saying UK equivilent..tongue in cheeck..e.g. Stanford in US is closest to what Warwick is to us in UK

understand? I AM NOT COMPARING THEM ACADEMICALLY.

god..being a black woman who got a BA from Stanford, exchange at oxford and getting MSc from LSE should surely have helped you understand what i was getting at :wink:

Your comparisons are STUPID!
The Ace is Back
Because, let's face it, Warwick is a pretty **** university outside of things like Economics/Maths. :smile:

Damn...If you consider a top 5-10 to be crap, then you must be one hell of a prestige whore...

Latest

Trending

Trending