The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
shady lane
How could anyone compare Warwick and Stanford, Stanford is ranked #2 in the world.

Ranked #2 by who?

Show me...
The Ace is Back
Your comparisons are STUPID!

you clearly dont understand what i was talking about.

you are the one who is stupid.

ps Vazzyb..do you dare propose that SLs sources arent credible?
Reply 42
hmm she only has two more gems than me so i might as well
its easy to say someone is second in the US
its common knowledge that Harvard is the best and that someone from the UK doesn't know the difference between Yale, Princeton, Stanford and MIT - so any of those can easily deemed "2nd". Also she has a BA from there...
Why would I make something up that is so easily googled?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14321230/
Reply 44
We evaluated schools on some of the measures used in well-known rankings published by Shanghai Jiaotong University and the Times of London Higher Education Survey. Fifty percent of the score came from equal parts of three measures used by Shanghai Jiatong: the number of highly-cited researchers in various academic fields, the number of articles

If you look at those two studies individually then Cambridge came second in both of them. (The Times one is on the THES website and the 'worlds best university' in Google, brings up the Shanghai one.) So it just depends on how you put the data together.
Well I believe Stanford is number 3 in the China one and Number 6 in the Times. So I'm sorry but it not only kicks Warwick's ass, it is ranked higher than every UK university except Oxbridge. It's higher than both in one table and higher than Oxford in another.

The point is, the fact that I'm a Stanford graduate doesn't mean Stanford isn't one of the best universities in the world. It is. And I wouldn't claim something that could be so easily disproved if it wasn't true!
Reply 46
No you're completely right - comparing it to Warwick is pretty silly lol
It was just that i had looked into these rankings and noticed that it was extremely varied when it came to non-harvard universities for positions 2 to 6 in the US rankings.
ok ill try to explain again what i meant..

what are the two most elite unis in UK that most ppl aspire to go to? Oxbridge.

what are the two most elite unis in USA that most ppl aspire to go to? Harvard + Yale.

What is the very geeky but amazing science orientated Uni in UK most ppl go to ? imperial college.

what is the very geeky but amazing science orientated Uni in USA most ppl go to ? MIT.

What is the best campus Uni in UK most people would like to go to if they didnt get into Oxbridge? Warwick.

understand what i mean..im not comparing them in a "serious" way, and not judging them/ranking them..just saying how i presume people view them in their respective countries..

obviously there are plenty of other amazing institutions such as princeton, columbia, lse, ucl etc etc..?

ps vzb..my comment about SLs credibility was tongue in cheek :wink: ..reputation has nothing to do with how credible someone is...City Trader on IB forum has constantly had lots of neg rep..but he was still extremly credible + well informed on what he said.
You're still wrong. The US has many more excellent universities than the UK. For most of my friends at Stanford, it was their first choice, not where they went it if they didn't get in to Harvard or Yale. Stanford is better than Harvard and Yale for things like engineering and computer science, and Harvard is known in the US (at least among us nerdy kids who were going for top schools) for having poor undergraduate teaching. I wasn't going to apply to Harvard or Princeton, and I would have applied to Yale but got accepted early decision.

For top students across the country in the US, you will find there is a diversity of top choices, with Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Princeton, Duke, and MIT probably making the most appearances. In the UK, basically if you're a top student, your top choice is Oxford or Cambridge. It's just a fundamental difference in the size and scale of US education.
yes thats why i mentioned on my first post its extremly hard to compare because USA has like 30 times more Unis!

ffs..the only reason you are so anal about this is because i didnt compare Stanford to Oxbridge :wink:.

and yes ive heard Harvard has a rep. of not having an amazing rep..thats why prob my top3 USA unis would be Yale, MIT and Stanford :wink:
abrp

and yes ive heard Harvard has a rep. of not having an amazing rep..thats why prob my top3 USA unis would be Yale, MIT and Stanford :wink:

kick out Yale LONG before you kick out Harvard :smile: In California at least, Stanford & Harvard are Oxbridge equivalents, and Yale & Princeton are only a cut above the rest of the Ivies.
yea but Yale has Skulls & Bones society :eek:! and it seems so posh etc etc lol :wink:

btw..always wanted to ask..in USA..getting into "lesser known internationally" ivies such as Brown + Dartmouth ...thats still a great achievement? or would people prefer to go to chicago, ucla, berkley, stanfrod instead of them? guess what im trying to say is..do Harvard, Yale + princeton hold the Ivy reputation in america ? (they certainly seem to in UK atleast..my mum + most of friends never heard of most of the ivies)
abrp
yea but Yale has Skulls & Bones society :eek:! and it seems so posh etc etc lol :wink:

btw..always wanted to ask..in USA..getting into "lesser known internationally" ivies such as Brown + Dartmouth ...thats still a great achievement? or would people prefer to go to chicago, ucla, berkley, stanfrod instead of them? guess what im trying to say is..do Harvard, Yale + princeton hold the Ivy reputation in america ? (they certainly seem to in UK atleast..my mum + most of friends never heard of most of the ivies)

LOL, I think it gets blasted because it is so posh, while Harvard mixes that with savvy investing, patents, research, etc.

Yeah, its definitely an achievement, but people are going to enquire where else you applied/if you are going there instead. Two of my classmates (twins) are going to Brown & Dartmouth, and I doubt quite a few of my other friends were really familiar with the latter. Especially if you have exceptional state schools & alternatives..

Personally, that is what I thought (one only has to look at my sig, lol).
abrp
you clearly dont understand what i was talking about.

you are the one who is stupid.

lol
The Orientalist
Damn...If you consider a top 5-10 to be crap, then you must be one hell of a prestige whore...

Not necessarily true. I could just be a 'quality whore'.

Doesn't matter though, because I applied to Warwick anyhow (PPE). As I say, despite their limitations, they are great for Economics.
My list of "equivalents" (the american ones are slightly better than the UK "equivalents"):

Harvard >= Oxford : the best for the humanities and "social sciences"
MIT >= Cambridge : the best for science/technology
Stanford >= Imperial : second best for science and technology. ie: where you go if you cant get into the best

Yale, Princeton >= LSE : has its own niche of excellence
Caltech >= Warwick : you would not bother going to another country to attend this university.
caltech doesn't equal warwick. Caltech is known as the single most RIGOROUS science school in the world. People there work like MAD and are geniuses. Caltech has the most labs / undergrad population, and their ratio of professors to students is less than 1:1.

I applied to both, and I would go to caltech ANYDAY over anything other than oxbridge. Even then, caltech would still give me a run for the money.

I think harvard, princeton and yale, stanford, MIT and caltech are collectively among the top US schools. Based on preferences, academic environment, social setting, it's possible for anyone to choose each of the aforementioned colleges above others.

And yes, I agree with shady lane. No UK college except oxbridge can match up to H, Y, P, M, S ,C.
Reply 57
Er, they have more than 1 professor to a student, there are 378 Professors with something like 2100 students. But don't worry, you were only 1800 out.
uhh...i do not believe i was out. Several departments at caltech DO have that ratio.
I'm inclined to agree with arkbar. I live near Caltech and I have sung at Caltech with my choir and I think I would have noticed tons of professors going around. There is no way there is a 1:1 ratio of professors to students. There may be students getting individually mentored, but that's different.

Latest

Trending

Trending