The Student Room Group

Tesco gap year travelling and student transfer

Hi guys,

I'm on a gap year at the moment and am working part time (at least 20 hours a week) at a local Tesco express to get money for the summer to go travelling and for when I start university - and am hoping to get a student transfer to a Tesco branch when I'm at Uni.

Basically, I want to travel for 5 weeks, however as I have not worked for Tesco for over a year im not eligible for a 'lifestyle break' which allows you to have unpaid time out of work for this long. i believe I still have to be working at Tesco to get a student transfer in September so don't really want to hand my notice in before I go travelling.

has anyone been in a similar situation working for Tesco or any other employer - if so what would you reccomend that I do?

the only thing I can really think of is hand my notice in and try my best to get a job at Tesco at uni, and then transfer back home for the holidays instead of getting my job back at home after travelling (which might be unlikely) and then transfer to uni.

Thanks!
Original post by emily0211
Hi guys,

I'm on a gap year at the moment and am working part time (at least 20 hours a week) at a local Tesco express to get money for the summer to go travelling and for when I start university - and am hoping to get a student transfer to a Tesco branch when I'm at Uni.

Basically, I want to travel for 5 weeks, however as I have not worked for Tesco for over a year im not eligible for a 'lifestyle break' which allows you to have unpaid time out of work for this long. i believe I still have to be working at Tesco to get a student transfer in September so don't really want to hand my notice in before I go travelling.

has anyone been in a similar situation working for Tesco or any other employer - if so what would you reccomend that I do?

the only thing I can really think of is hand my notice in and try my best to get a job at Tesco at uni, and then transfer back home for the holidays instead of getting my job back at home after travelling (which might be unlikely) and then transfer to uni.

Thanks!

I had a lifestyle break, worked at Tesco again, and tried to get a transfer, but couldn't! Tried 6 stores at my Uni, but no-one would take me. A lot of people have trouble transferring, so if you really want to travel, I'd say just do it and hand in your notice. Then contact your store if you have a couple of months left before Uni, and see if they'll take you back, if not, just try applying for jobs in your Uni area nearer the time.
Reply 2
Original post by Mojojojo
I had a lifestyle break, worked at Tesco again, and tried to get a transfer, but couldn't! Tried 6 stores at my Uni, but no-one would take me. A lot of people have trouble transferring, so if you really want to travel, I'd say just do it and hand in your notice. Then contact your store if you have a couple of months left before Uni, and see if they'll take you back, if not, just try applying for jobs in your Uni area nearer the time.

Cool thanks for your help, I think I will do that it makes the most sense!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mojojojo

How do you transfer?! I've looked online & asked around my store but nobody seems to know and I can't find anything
probs a bit late as today's the deadline but I gave up looking haha
Original post by court111111
How do you transfer?! I've looked online & asked around my store but nobody seems to know and I can't find anything
probs a bit late as today's the deadline but I gave up looking haha

http://www.tesco-careers.com/Jobs-in-Stores-and-Centres/Stores/Student-transfer-service.aspx

You apply via the website! I didn't get transferred in the end, despite trying so any stores, so I got my P45, and don't work at Tesco any more!

Quick Reply

Latest