The Student Room Group

Applying through UCAS after the deadline & applying on your own vs through your schoo

Hi guys hope you can help me out..

From what I know you can still apply through UCAS even after the deadlines, and a lot of Unis are OK with that. However what are the downsides? Would my chances of getting in be lower? I'm planning on applying this or next week hopefully (took me a while to decide what I want to mainly).

Last year I got into my first choice Uni however I dropped out after 2 weeks as I did not like the course and the Uni itself wasn't what I really wanted so I took the decision to take a year off to reflect on everything and decide what I want to do.

My 2nd question is, last year when I was applying I applied through my school and I remember that the head of my sixth form wrote a reference to UCAS. Now what is the difference between applying through a school and on your own? Are there any advantages and disadvantages? Are you chances higher when a tutor from your school writes a reference?

By the way I phoned UCAS up today and paid a fee of £10 to get my old application emailed to me because I wanted to get hold of my personal statement and all the modules I completed in school and I also got the reference my tutor wrote so that confused me.. Hope you guys can help out. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I am currently applying to university (again) as a late application and individual, I got one of my lecturers to write me a reference. You could go back to your uni the one you dropped out of and ask them for a reference, however as you were only there for 2weeks I'm not sure they'll be able to.

Furthermore, you can go back to your old school or college and ask a previous teacher to do it for you, they should be able to do that. But try your university first!

Another option is having no reference at all, which on the UCAS application it allows you to do, however you have to email the universities you're applying to first to make sure they don't require it.

----

The chances of getting an offer are significantly less as the application is late, however it depends on your subject. If it is competitive then most places may be already filled up but you never know. You can email the universities and ask them if they're still accepting late applications. It's highly unlikely that many top universities would be accepting late ones, I know LSE aren't. But the best thing to do is email them explaining the situation.
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply.

I really doubt my Uni would even consider writing a reference for me, since I've not even been there for 2 weeks! I'm really worried now that you said the chances are significantly lower. Do you think applying through clearing would be a better/safer way?
Original post by Mariooo96
Thanks for your reply.

I really doubt my Uni would even consider writing a reference for me, since I've not even been there for 2 weeks! I'm really worried now that you said the chances are significantly lower. Do you think applying through clearing would be a better/safer way?

Well you can apply now and if you don't get offer then go for clearing, but might swell apply now and see what happens. Email around and ask first, a lot of universities are aware that students drop out and want to reapply for this year so are late. What course are you planning to apply for?

Another thing you could do is apply for deferred entry and go in September 2016
Reply 4
^ Cheers for your help, appreciate it

If someone else out there has something to add, it would be highly appreciated :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending