The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Moving from London to Warwick?

So I've lived in central London ALL my life, I really want to move out of london just to experience somewhere new for 3years and then defo move back to London. I visited warwick on an open day and really liked it however I'm now worried that after a while I may get real bored and not like the 'bubble'. Just wanted to hear about other people's experiences who've moved from London to warwick? Is it much of a culture shock? Is warwick multicultural? How easy is it to get to and from birmingham?
Original post by Fattyc95
So I've lived in central London ALL my life, I really want to move out of london just to experience somewhere new for 3years and then defo move back to London. I visited warwick on an open day and really liked it however I'm now worried that after a while I may get real bored and not like the 'bubble'. Just wanted to hear about other people's experiences who've moved from London to warwick? Is it much of a culture shock? Is warwick multicultural? How easy is it to get to and from birmingham?

Full of private/grammar school people

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by coconuthead--

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pretty sure that's the case with every top university, I guess poorpers like me are just gonna have to accept that :frown:
no not at qmul/liverpool they're russell group unis
I live in London and go to Warwick and it's a nice change of pace, you're only there for 10 weeks per term and the rest most people like me go home so you're never there long enough to actually get bored of it tbh.
It's so easy to get to Warwick from Birmingham thanks to the West Coast Mainline. Even 10 mins there's a fast train to Coventry, or a slow train every 30 mins to Tile Hill (Closer), then a 15 min bus. I'm going to be living in Birmingham whilst studying at Warwick, personally I couldn't hack the boredom that is Warwickshire.
Reply 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seriously? I had the impression that it was quite low for people who went to a private school beforehand? Not as much as unis like Exeter or Bristol?
Original post by Age
Seriously? I had the impression that it was quite low for people who went to a private school beforehand? Not as much as unis like Exeter or Bristol?

Yep!! But exeter is not as prestigious as Warwick!!! literally only 3% are from comprehensives I'd say!! Rest full of private and grammar school people. Most of them exceed the requirements. So say your offer is AAB-they let them in with A*A*A.
Yep!! But exeter is not as prestigious as Warwick!!! literally only 3% are from comprehensives I'd say!! Rest full of private and grammar school people. Most of them exceed the requirements. So say your offer is AAB-they let them in with A*A*A.

73% from state schools, mostly comprehensives. More than Exeter, Imperial, KCL, Leeds, LSE, Nottingham, Oxford, UCL, Bristol, Cambridge, Durham, Edinburgh, and Newcastle, less than Southampton, Birmingham, Queens Belfast, York, Sheffield, QM, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow or Cardiff.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BlueSam3
73% from state schools, mostly comprehensives. More than Exeter, Imperial, KCL, Leeds, LSE, Nottingham, Oxford, UCL, Bristol, Cambridge, Durham, Edinburgh, and Newcastle, less than Southampton, Birmingham, Queens Belfast, York, Sheffield, QM, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow or Cardiff.

No need to list all the russell group unis. Warwick is literally full of private/grammar-the majority. Even the international students went to some kibd of private institution

Posted from TSR Mobile
No need to list all the russell group unis. Warwick is literally full of private/grammar-the majority. Even the international students went to some kibd of private institution

Posted from TSR Mobile

It can't be, official statistics tell you that 73% of Warwicks intake in 2011/12 was public school students. You can sensibly assume here that these statistics won't have changed much since that time, as it wouldn't match the trend.

What you can say is that the majority of that 73% could be grammar school students, however even then it wouldn't match the 27% of private.
I'm from London and in my final year at Warwick. The first two years are ok because of the novelty, but by third year it does get boring as hell. I wished I'd applied to a city uni in hindsight.
Original post by Thahleel
It can't be, official statistics tell you that 73% of Warwicks intake in 2011/12 was public school students. You can sensibly assume here that these statistics won't have changed much since that time, as it wouldn't match the trend.

What you can say is that the majority of that 73% could be grammar school students, however even then it wouldn't match the 27% of private.

NO noooo no !!!! Public school can also include boarding schools, nonetheless i'd put it 73% private/grammar and the remaining comprehensives!!! Is that even a reliable source?? No. The editor would obviously, write what people want to see and hear-like all the crap about social mobility and ethnic minorities from state schools and deprived areas attending top institutions. Take it with a pinch of salt. What course do you do?
NO noooo no !!!! Public school can also include boarding schools, nonetheless i'd put it 73% private/grammar and the remaining comprehensives!!! Is that even a reliable source?? No. The editor would obviously, write what people want to see and hear-like all the crap about social mobility and ethnic minorities from state schools and deprived areas attending top institutions. Take it with a pinch of salt. What course do you do?

Yes it can, but it includes your stereotypical bad public school too, both don't represent the group, the normal state comprehensives do.

Hahaha, an editor didn't come up with these numbers, they were recorded amongst actual intake:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9946510/Half-of-top-universities-cut-state-school-admissions.html

Remember to look out for HESA, they're an official body who record these statistics then sell them to people who can make use from them (employers, other universities, the general public).

I do Computer Science, data is my forte. I went to what used to be in the bottom 5% of worst schools in the country, it has since improved to the median of the distribution, but it's still bad in the sense that only a handful (15 or so) people from my year will go university. The rest, from what I know are either unemployed or doing low pay jobs. You see even after all that, I still don't hype how bad my education life was, I did really really well for a student from a school like that, in the sense that I could still meet the grade requirements for one of the most competitive courses at university.
Original post by Thahleel
Yes it can, but it includes your stereotypical bad public school too, both don't represent the group, the normal state comprehensives do.

Hahaha, an editor didn't come up with these numbers, they were recorded amongst actual intake:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9946510/Half-of-top-universities-cut-state-school-admissions.html

Remember to look out for HESA, they're an official body who record these statistics then sell them to people who can make use from them (employers, other universities, the general public).

I do Computer Science, data is my forte. I went to what used to be in the bottom 5% of worst schools in the country, it has since improved to the median of the distribution, but it's still bad in the sense that only a handful (15 or so) people from my year will go university. The rest, from what I know are either unemployed or doing low pay jobs. You see even after all that, I still don't hype how bad my education life was, I did really really well for a student from a school like that, in the sense that I could still meet the grade requirements for one of the most competitive courses at university.

Good on you!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: you deserve a pat on the back :smile: but you should'nt really care about other people's grade only yours=focus on yourself to achieve the highest, that's what ive always done and succeeded. I went to a grammar school myself and it was good. But, my cousin went to a poor really poor state school, where the louts and chavs are in dominance-he ended up with 3*s and is doing medicine at ucl. Anyone can improve, but it's a lot easier the chances if you go to a private/boarding/grammar school.
Reply 15
So are we under the consensus that Warwick is more state than private?

Either way it doesn't phase me, we've all worked hard to get an offer regardless of background :smile:
Original post by Age
So are we under the consensus that Warwick is more state than private?

Either way it doesn't phase me, we've all worked hard to get an offer regardless of background :smile:

True some people have the misconception that in private/grammar schools it's so so mucj easier. Yes the teaching/environment, but the kids still do work their ass off to get high grades. Except for state schools the struggle is real and it's harder, but they too likewise work day and night

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest