Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Ask a Current Nottingham Student

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ican'tdoalevels
Hello!
I was just wondering what your thoughts on Cavendish Hall are? Good things and bad things - I have been allocated it and kind of want to know about it before I go!

Its a newer hall built in the 60s. I quite like it personally. Rooms are light and a good size. It has an extra cafe that's open every day which is very popular. Right next to the sports centre, humanities and history buildings. My friend lived there last year and was environmental rep for the hall. I can't really think of any negatives apart from its kinda far from science but you can always get the hopper bus round to George Green Library to save the walk!

Original post by Teh Smart One
Hey, I also got allocated Cavendish, what room type did you get?

Cavendish only has en suite rooms :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by SophieHJ
Hi, iv'e just applied for accommodation. How long has it taken you all to hear back? Thanks :smile:

It takes around two weeks.
Do current students view the university as a top 12-13 overall?
Original post by sidvicious
Do current students view the university as a top 12-13 overall?

As far as I'm aware, and for me personally, it doesn't really matter anymore once you're here. We all know we're at a fantastic university, its Russell Group, it has world class research, we're taught by the people who wrote a lot of the books, some subjects are better than others sure but overall universities are way more than a league table can ever represent. The problem with league tables is that they are so subjective and vary so much depending on what categories were deemed to be the most important to include. Overall I think most people here would say we place between 10-20 but I don't really think many people would actually have a strong opinion or even care :smile:
Original post by siddharthmsc
Thanks so much. I live in India, so the only way I get to visit any university is once I firm that one. See, I started my applications in November, and felt this instant connect with Nottingham. I live in Pune, one of the densest concrete jungles that characterise my country, and I'm not looking forward to another stint in the city. To be very honest, I love Nottingham, it feels like a perfect fit - the course, the professors (with whom I have interacted over email) and so on.

Unfortunately, I come from an educational culture where the prestige of your university is directly related to your future prospects. Is it the same in the UK? I haven't quite enjoyed my undergrad, so this makes it even more important that I have an amazing time during my masters. It's a very difficult call to make :/

No, your university choice is not linked to your future prospects. The grade you get is more closely linked and these days because so many people get the same grade, your extracurriculars matter a lot. I think you should go where you actually want to go. You'll have a better time and get better marks if you're happy which will correlate to more success in the future if you use it right:smile: good luck
Original post by EMassey
As far as I'm aware, and for me personally, it doesn't really matter anymore once you're here. We all know we're at a fantastic university, its Russell Group, it has world class research, we're taught by the people who wrote a lot of the books, some subjects are better than others sure but overall universities are way more than a league table can ever represent. The problem with league tables is that they are so subjective and vary so much depending on what categories were deemed to be the most important to include. Overall I think most people here would say we place between 10-20 but I don't really think many people would actually have a strong opinion or even care :smile:

I wasn't referring to league tables. Manchester United would be seen as one of the top clubs in World foootball regardless of league table position, such is their branding and tradition of excellence over the years. The same goes for many universities, i.e. Glasgow, KCL, Edinburgh etc.
I've been waiting for a final offer to come through on UCAS but am now worried that I may have missed out on en-suite accommodation which is really important to me. Do you know if there is still some available, especially on the main campus?
Original post by elenacarruthers
I've been waiting for a final offer to come through on UCAS but am now worried that I may have missed out on en-suite accommodation which is really important to me. Do you know if there is still some available, especially on the main campus?

applied for accommodation for either university park or jubilee park(both ensuite). Got ancaster hall within in a few days :smile:
I wasn't referring to league tables. Manchester United would be seen as one of the top clubs in World foootball regardless of league table position, such is their branding and tradition of excellence over the years. The same goes for many universities, i.e. Glasgow, KCL, Edinburgh etc.

Simple answer: it is very well respected by employers both nationally and internationally.

BCG and McKinsey have taken on some grads, it has an incredibly strong relationship with magic circle law firms, top 8 for IB recruitment, great links with big pharma etc. etc.

Rep amongst top global companies:

1.) Cambridge (4th)
2.) Oxford (8th)
3.) UCL (12th)
4.) Imperial (14th)
5.) KCL (22th)
6.) Edinburgh (29th)
7.) Nottingham (31st)
8.) LSE (40th)
9.) Birmingham (55th)
10.) Durham (70th)

Source:
http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2011/10/20/education/20iht-SReducEmploy20-graphic.html?ref=education

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Simple answer: it is very well respected by employers both nationally and internationally.

BCG and McKinsey have taken on some grads, it has an incredibly strong relationship with magic circle law firms, top 8 for IB recruitment, great links with big pharma etc. etc.

Rep amongst top global companies:

1.) Cambridge (4th)
2.) Oxford (8th)
3.) UCL (12th)
4.) Imperial (14th)
5.) KCL (22th)
6.) Edinburgh (29th)
7.) Nottingham (31st)
8.) LSE (40th)
9.) Birmingham (55th)
10.) Durham (70th)

Source:
http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2011/10/20/education/20iht-SReducEmploy20-graphic.html?ref=education

Posted from TSR Mobile

Amazed that Warwick is not in that top 10, the darling of City firms.
Amazed that Warwick is not in that top 10, the darling of City firms.

It is global reputation after all, Warwick's brand isn't as global as some of the other bigger red bricks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
It is global reputation after all, Warwick's brand isn't as global as some of the other bigger red bricks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should be, given their WBS MBA is World top 30.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Does Nottingham have good engineering and science courses?
Original post by EMassey
I've seen a few of us on here so I think it would be helpful to collate us all in one place for the benefit of prospective students!

I'm in my second year at UoN studying History and Politics. I'm a course rep for History students and a Senior Student Ambassador for the university! Also by this time next week hopefully I'll also be School Education Rep for History and a member of the Scrutiny Panel!

Ask away! :biggrin:

Spoiler

Do you know when the new gym will be finished?
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Do you know when the new gym will be finished?

It's meant to be finished for September 2016 from what I last heard.
Original post by EMassey
It's meant to be finished for September 2016 from what I last heard.

Ah that sucks.

Thanks for answering the question though :smile:
Ah that sucks.

Thanks for answering the question though :smile:

I start that year :colone:
Original post by EMassey
x

Did you stay at UP in your first year?

If so what accommodation type did you end up in? :smile:

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I start that year :colone:

I know... we can try out the gym together :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
I know... we can try out the gym together :tongue:

You- Sprinting on the treadmill on max incline
Me- Walking on the treadmill eating chocolate digestives
:tongue:
Did you stay at UP in your first year?

If so what accommodation type did you end up in? :smile:

I did. I had an ensuiite (now it's called an en suite plus) in Cripps Hall and I loved it. I have a returners formal there next week so it'll be nice to go back and get some hall food! :biggrin: I really miss my old room and how big it was.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending