The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Ask a Current Nottingham Student

I've seen a few of us on here so I think it would be helpful to collate us all in one place for the benefit of prospective students!

I'm in my second year at UoN studying History and Politics. I'm a course rep for History students and a Senior Student Ambassador for the university! Also by this time next week hopefully I'll also be School Education Rep for History and a member of the Scrutiny Panel!

Ask away! :biggrin:

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
1st year med student here...feel free to ask anything :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Do you know if there's any gym on Jubilee, and how much are they?

Do students venture out to the city centre a lot? Are there a lot of shops/bars there etc?

Lastly, anyone knows what do they during the international welcome week for international students?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by makrxx

Do students venture out to the city centre a lot? Are there a lot of shops/bars there etc?

Lastly, anyone knows what do they during the international welcome week for international students?

Yes there is a gym at jubilee:smile: I think you have to pay full gym/sports membership which is about £135 a year I think, look on here for more info http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/sport/membership/membershipfees.aspx
It is very easy to get into the city centre, all buses for students are £1 and I know many people that go in often. There are plenty of bars and shops to explore, as there is also the Trent uni here in nottingham there's alot on offer for students, nightlife is particularly good, always something to do!
Sorry I can't really answer your last question, I'm not sure what they do for international students. Hope I've helped a little.
Original post by makrxx

For the last question: They take you on trips, do quite a lot of getting to know each other as well as Nottingham and the campus.
Original post by EMassey
I've seen a few of us on here so I think it would be helpful to collate us all in one place for the benefit of prospective students!

I'm in my second year at UoN studying History and Politics. I'm a course rep for History students and a Senior Student Ambassador for the university! Also by this time next week hopefully I'll also be School Education Rep for History and a member of the Scrutiny Panel!

I've distanced myself from students' union things for final year.

How did your elections for School Education Rep and Scrutineer go? :smile:
Reply 6
Hi everyone!

I've firmed Nottingham for G400 computer science so I'm looking to find accomodation near jubilee campus so I don't have to travel on bus every morning etc.

I've decided on self catered for some experience and would prefer an ensuite. I'm torn between Raleigh park and St Peters court however I've heard that these sites are quite isolated from the main university and so its harder to make friends? Is this true

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by EMassey

Seeing as you're a 2nd year student, you've clearly got your own housing sorted in the city.

The biggest question mark for me personally is what is the city of Nottingham ACTUALLY like? You read news reports from 5 years ago saying it has the worst crime in the country and then other people write that that's all bull****. What's your take on the city? Will I feel safe there as a student?

Also, how active exactly is the student's union throughout the year? Is it really as good as they say?
Original post by DarkWhite

I've distanced myself from students' union things for final year.

How did your elections for School Education Rep and Scrutineer go? :smile:

I won't find out until Wednesday unfortunately :s-smilie: thanks for asking :smile:

Original post by rajv
I've decided on self catered for some experience and would prefer an ensuite. I'm torn between Raleigh park and St Peters court however I've heard that these sites are quite isolated from the main university and so its harder to make friends? Is this true

Not at all, Raleigh park houses over 1000 UoN students so there's plenty of peopl and SPC has 500 UoN students and then around the same number of NTU students so in both places there are lots of people around. You are also more or less in the middle of where students live after second year and because there are so many students in the city, the entire area is effectively filled with just students. Also you're very close to Jubliee campus so you have easy access to university facilities where other students live and study and then beyond that easy access to main campus. You'll also make friends with people on your courses so you really don't need to worry about not being able to find people to make friends with, everyone is in the same boat and wants to make friends!

Original post by KarMa611
Seeing as you're a 2nd year student, you've clearly got your own housing sorted in the city.

The biggest question mark for me personally is what is the city of Nottingham ACTUALLY like? You read news reports from 5 years ago saying it has the worst crime in the country and then other people write that that's all bull****. What's your take on the city? Will I feel safe there as a student?

Also, how active exactly is the student's union throughout the year? Is it really as good as they say?

I feel very safe in the city personally. There tends to be a good police presence which I find comforting and in my one dealing with the police (reported some suspicious behaviour) I got a much better response than I could ever have imagined! The police try to work closely with the university to ensure students feel safe and I think it works. There are the unfortunate incidents with burglary from student houses but there are hotspots that are easily avoidable. A lot of the burglary is when people have been foolish and left windows and doors unlocked so it's equally a matter of just being careful and not stupid. I've not experienced any incidents so far and nor have any of my closest friends which is good obviously. But I do like to view the most recent police and crime maps and I do have an alarm system because whilst I feel safe, I still want to be sensible! A few years ago, nottingham did have a very bad reputation particularly with guns and gangs but they've really improved and the city itself has a purple flag award (for safety on nights out).

Also it's worth pointing out that I have lived in Nottingham permanently as of last April with my boyfriend (who works full time so I don't go back to my parents' house in the holidays) and I wouldn't live here if I didn't feel safe! I used to live in South East London but I have my house up here now in a lovely little estate that has a lot of students but also has families (and it's right round the corner from Raleigh Park, SPC and Jubilee campus).

I think the Students' Union is pretty active throughout the year. They're always running campaigns to help students and I believe that, through the Education Network, they really want to listen to students' opinions and improve the university. A lot of people forget that the students themselves are the Stuents' Union and think of it as some separate entity that doesn't affect them or work for them, but, in my own experience, that's simply untrue. They is always room for improvement and I think they could do a bit more to publicise who they are and what they do for the university but as Students' Unions go, I think they're pretty successful!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by EMassey

Spoiler

I've just firmed my offer for history and politics at Nottingham :biggrin: how are you enjoying the course?

Also, I'm trying to decide between Raleigh Park and St Peter's Court for my second choice accommodation, any thoughts on which I should pick???
Hi,
Do any of the current students know about iQ accomodation? How far is it from University park and would you recommend
Original post by heyitsabe
I've just firmed my offer for history and politics at Nottingham :biggrin: how are you enjoying the course?

Also, I'm trying to decide between Raleigh Park and St Peter's Court for my second choice accommodation, any thoughts on which I should pick???

Yayyyyyyy! I love the course, you get tonnes of choice when it comes to modules which I think is brilliant because it really makes it your degree. Of course there are slight off moments and more boring modules which are usually compulsory :frown: but they are helpful in the long run so you understand why they do them.

I've never seen SPC and I only saw RP for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I think RP is really great and modern (I live round the corner from RP at the moment). I like the layout and make up with over 1000 students and it's really close to Jubilee and Lenton generally. I'm not sure I would choose SPC. It's really popular with its free gym and mix of students with events going on all the time but as silly as it sounds I like the idea of just being with UoN students. It's a very personal choice, so the best advice I can give is go and look at both if you can because at any other university I would have gone self catered but here I went catered because I preferred it and I wouldn't have known unless I looked round both.

Original post by DianaLahor
Hi,
Do any of the current students know about iQ accomodation? How far is it from University park and would you recommend

It's pretty far from UP. It's the other side of town. It's much more convenient for Trent students but not so great for UoN. I don't know anything about it aside from its location but based on that I'd say there are a lot better choices out there: Nottingham One, Manor Villages, Riverside Point, Study Inn and any of the university arranged accommodation.
Hi!
My name is Reem, and i have applied for postgraduate studies in Nottingham (Molecular Genetics and Diagnostics).
I am an international student and have never been to the UK before. I am also confused about to wether choose University of Nottingham or University of Sheffield as I have been accepted into both.

I would really appreciate it if you told me which one is better socially, academically, and environmentally. I've only got replies from previous students who studied at Sheffield and I'm concerned that their reply is biased and all.

Please help and thank you!
Reply 13
Original post by Reemsamiii
Hi!
My name is Reem, and i have applied for postgraduate studies in Nottingham (Molecular Genetics and Diagnostics).
I am an international student and have never been to the UK before. I am also confused about to wether choose University of Nottingham or University of Sheffield as I have been accepted into both.

I would really appreciate it if you told me which one is better socially, academically, and environmentally. I've only got replies from previous students who studied at Sheffield and I'm concerned that their reply is biased and all.

Please help and thank you!

Well, I think you will get biased answers here too as everyone are fond of their uni :biggrin:.
Nottingham is known for having one of the best social lifes in terms of night outs. There are at least 2 different events running every day of the week so you can go out as much as you want and not worry that there will be nowhere to go. Tickets are usually around 5pounds but can go up to 8 for some special events or you can get free entry to some others. You also get quite a few buses running late in night so you dont need to walk or get a taxi. I think they have 1pound fare too (the day buses are 1pound). You also get lots of pubs if you prefer this type of a night out :smile:.
Academically I think Nottingham is really good. There's a lot of research going on in terms of molecular chemistry/biology/medicine and generally this area. I am based in Queens Medical Centre and there are lots of research office so I assume you won't complain of lack of opportunities. The libraries are also good, have lots of books and you can always request them if you can't find them on the shelf. You also get access to lots of articles.
Environmentally….I am not sure what you mean by that but I think you mean if there are lots of green area and stuff? Well, theres a Wollaton Park right next to uni which is quite popular and big (and very green). The campus itself has lots of green area and we have a lake too!
Reply 14

SPC here :smile:. Well, first of all if you apply for accomodation now you are 100% sure you will get first choice so I wouldnt really care about the 2nd. But if its really important for you then:
Raleigh: closer to uni, closer to shops, probably cheaper, bigger rooms, nicer kitchen, bigger hall so more people
SPC: you have your own bathroom, free bus to uni and to town, closer to aldi, less crowded, bigger kitchen (if you are in the old block)

Original post by Nottie

Just to clarify, you can have your own bathroom at RP too but at SPC there are only en suite rooms :P

Also how many NTU/external students are there in SPC?
Hey, just wondering if you stay in catered or self catered accommodation? i'm leaning toward catered but i'm not sure how easy it is to get to know people as you don't have the shared kitchen set up
Reply 17
Original post by EMassey
Just to clarify, you can have your own bathroom at RP too but at SPC there are only en suite rooms :P

Also how many NTU/external students are there in SPC?

There are a few. But I would say its like 10% of whole SPC

Original post by susierosem
Hey, just wondering if you stay in catered or self catered accommodation? i'm leaning toward catered but i'm not sure how easy it is to get to know people as you don't have the shared kitchen set up

Im in self catered. I dont talk to anyone from my flat. At catered its actually easier cause you go and eat with people everyday
ah i see thank you so much for the information.
And yes i meant by the greenery and and all :biggrin:
I also need to talk to someone who is a current postgraduate student at UoN and I would like to speak to that person. Could you please help me out with this?
Because i believe undergrad and post-grad studies are different from each other. It would be helpful to know their point of view.
Hi; I was wondering about the university card. When do you receive emails about them, is it nearer the time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending