The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

How flexible are Aston on entry requirements?

I'm considering picking Eco & Management as my firm/insurance, but how flexible are they? My current offer is AAB.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends on the course and the number of applicants. I know a guy who had an offer for mech eng of BBB and got in with BCC. This was 2 years ago. I think you'd be able to get in with ABB but don't take my word as gospel.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by vela1
Depends on the course and the number of applicants. I know a guy who had an offer for mech eng of BBB and got in with BCC. This was 2 years ago. I think you'd be able to get in with ABB but don't take my word as gospel.

They said I'd definitely get in with ABB if I firm it, and slight chance of BBB. However, I'm thinking of firming Nottingham and I'm not sure whether Aston will be flexible as an insurance.
Reply 3
What are Notts asking for?
Reply 4
Original post by vela1
What are Notts asking for?

ABB for Management, but I don't think they will be as flexible. I'm also considering Economics at Reading (ABB), but Aston and Notts appeal to me the most!
Reply 5
Original post by Al_10
ABB for Management, but I don't think they will be as flexible. I'm also considering Economics at Reading (ABB), but Aston and Notts appeal to me the most!

Hmm I see your predicament. I'd bite the bullet and put Notts down as a firm and Aston as insurance. Unless its really unlikely you'd get ABB then I'd put Aston as a firm.
Reply 6
Yeah I was considering that too! Thing is if I pick Aston as an insurance, it's very unlikely I'll get in there as it's renown for it's business school so likely to have less places, especially for BBB. So it's Notts or nothing!
Reply 7
Original post by Al_10
Yeah I was considering that too! Thing is if I pick Aston as an insurance, it's very unlikely I'll get in there as it's renown for it's business school so likely to have less places, especially for BBB. So it's Notts or nothing!

Wouldn't doing Eco with Management be better in terms of job prospects though?
Reply 8
Original post by vela1
Wouldn't doing Eco with Management be better in terms of job prospects though?

I believe so, this is this constant trade-off I've been contemplating for weeks. xD and Aston do really good placements too, not quite sure on the campus though (it's reasonable but quite small, not Notts standards but close to city centre), but yeah.. Notts reputation is really good too
Aston grad here, depends on how many have applied for the course. Eco & management and IBE are aston's top courses usually way over subscribed. Also depends on how many places they can make available.

Fingers crossed - just try your best.
Reply 10
Thanks! What did you study, and any recommended accommodation? Would you recommend Aston highly?
Reply 11
Original post by Al_10
Thanks! What did you study, and any recommended accommodation? Would you recommend Aston highly?

Current Aston fresher here! I'd definitely recommend Aston, it's a small university so you get to know the vast majority of people very quickly, especially if you join any clubs or societies, I'm really enjoying my first year!

In regards to the flexibility on entry grades, I missed my entry grades for International Business & Management (AAB - I got ABC) and I got in, so from personal experience, if you submit a good personal statement, there's a little flexibility. However I don't know whether that will be the case this year or for that course.

Hope that helps!

SnowBolt
Reply 12
Original post by SnowBolt
Current Aston fresher here! I'd definitely recommend Aston, it's a small university so you get to know the vast majority of people very quickly, especially if you join any clubs or societies, I'm really enjoying my first year!

In regards to the flexibility on entry grades, I missed my entry grades for International Business & Management (AAB - I got ABC) and I got in, so from personal experience, if you submit a good personal statement, there's a little flexibility. However I don't know whether that will be the case this year or for that course.

Hope that helps!

SnowBolt

Thanks for the reply SnowBolt, Aston Uni said if I do firm it I'd definitely get in with ABB and perhaps BBB, but I'm guessing Eco and Management is quite a popular course.. But i think I'm going to firm Nottingham (Management) which is ABB and insure Aston even though the entry requirements are higher. What do you think of Aston's rep? As i want to work abroad in the future.. I know there are a lot of things to do in Birmingham too!
Reply 13
Original post by Al_10
Thanks for the reply SnowBolt, Aston Uni said if I do firm it I'd definitely get in with ABB and perhaps BBB, but I'm guessing Eco and Management is quite a popular course.. But i think I'm going to firm Nottingham (Management) which is ABB and insure Aston even though the entry requirements are higher. What do you think of Aston's rep? As i want to work abroad in the future.. I know there are a lot of things to do in Birmingham too!

Personally I think it's great, I've met a lot of final years through societies and they all seem to have had really good placement years that have been well-paid as well. I know some people who have worked abroad in their placement year and they said they really enjoyed it! Birmingham is a great city, huge nightlife and mixing with other local unis. During the day there's plenty to do near campus with it being close to the city centre, I thought it would be really daunting to move here but it's actually been a really great experience!
Reply 14
This thread is really helpful so Thanks to everyone contributing. I was just wondering what sort of courses they would be flexible on because I had an offer from them for ABB in psychology and I firmed it but I have had a few problems at home with my mum being ill and this is going to continue for a few months still, so it's really hard to work at home because I have to do a lot more to help my family at home. Does anyone if there will be any leeway with this on grades? I'm really hoping to go to Aston and I just don't want to miss out because of a grade or two. Thanks for the help. Anything will be appreciated
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi Dylank,

I do Psychology myself, there can be some leeway if they feel you are a good fit for Aston. Nathan Ridout is the admissions tutor for Psychology give him a call or drop him an email for some advice he is really nice.
Reply 16
Thanks so much, I will email him and see what happens. I really appreciate this. Thank you. I'll let you know the verdict soon! :biggrin:
Original post by Dylank
Thanks so much, I will email him and see what happens. I really appreciate this. Thank you. I'll let you know the verdict soon! :biggrin:

If it's any help i did my degree in psychology. I achieved a BBB at A level and was accepted. Now i work for the university. Just work hard and try not to worry. :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Aston University
If it's any help i did my degree in psychology. I achieved a BBB at A level and was accepted. Now i work for the university. Just work hard and try not to worry. :smile:

Thank you so much! That reassures me a little more than before, I really do appreciate it thank you. I'm going to try my hardest :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by paul514
Hi Dylank,

I do Psychology myself, there can be some leeway if they feel you are a good fit for Aston. Nathan Ridout is the admissions tutor for Psychology give him a call or drop him an email for some advice he is really nice.

Hi again Paul, I have just sent him an email, however I got an automated response that says that he is away and he will reply tomorrow but it also says if it's anything to do with admissions I should contact [email protected] Should I wait for his reply tomorrow or send one to this email today? Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest