The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

How flexible are Reading on entry requirements?

I'm considering studying Economics and my offer stands at ABB, I don't know if it should be one of my firm/insurance choices.

Scroll to see replies

Same, i got an offer for Economics and Econometrics for ABB but think that BBB is more realistic for me. Anyone know if they'd be likely to accept BBB for an ABB course?
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Peddlewoods
Same, i got an offer for Economics and Econometrics for ABB but think that BBB is more realistic for me. Anyone know if they'd be likely to accept BBB for an ABB course?

I just spoke to a first year student, she still got in with 2 grades below entry requirements!
Reply 3
I'm currently a first year and i think i know more people who missed their offer than got the required grades
Reply 4
Original post by ljb.95
I'm currently a first year and i think i know more people who missed their offer than got the required grades

Ah I see! What do you think of Reading Uni?
Reply 5
Original post by Al_10
Ah I see! What do you think of Reading Uni?

I love it here. Good campus, i like the nightlife and my course etc etc.. if you have any specific questions feel free to ask
Original post by ljb.95

Your sentence is a bit unclear.

Are you saying you know people who missed their offer was still accepted?
Reply 7
Thats quite helpful thanks. So just wondering since my offer is for AAB, if I got either ABB, BBB or ABC is it likely i'll get in?
I applied for computer science in 2014 and my offer was ABB, however they sent me an email saying if i selected Reading as my firm, i would be allowed in with one grade lower:smile:
Love the uni and im glad i made it my firm!
Reply 9
It all really depends on the popularity of the course and how well you do in comparison to other applicants too. One of my housemates got BBC and was still accepted to do economics and econometrics. The course isn't very popular and was therefore accepted despite the lower grades. He was very bright though (A* and As all at GCSE and AS level but slipped up at A2), and is on track for a 2.1
Depends on the course as others above me have said. I know som1 who got on to my chemistry course with BCC with a C in Chemistry when the requirements were BBB lol specifically stating that a minimum of a grade B Chemistry must be achieved. The weird thing also was that they took in 30 or so more students than last year lol.
Original post by Al_10
I'm considering studying Economics and my offer stands at ABB, I don't know if it should be one of my firm/insurance choices.

Hello!

Flexibility on entry requirements depends on a few factors when the results are in. This can include how far off the grades were from the ones needed, the amount of people on the course, firm or insurance choice etc. But the university does accept a number of people who have missed the grades.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any more questions,
Pip, third year English Literature and History of Art :biggrin:
Hello, I was wondering if you can help. I am absolutely petrified that I won't get the grades and I don't really want to end up at my insurance or in clearing at all if I can help it. I have an offer of AAB for accounting and management. I'm not sure how popular the course is and I think I'm likely to get an ABB hopefully. Will I be highly considered because it is my firm. I also have 75 extra UCAS points from doing dance outside school if that helps??
Original post by AmyBabee17
Hello, I was wondering if you can help. I am absolutely petrified that I won't get the grades and I don't really want to end up at my insurance or in clearing at all if I can help it. I have an offer of AAB for accounting and management. I'm not sure how popular the course is and I think I'm likely to get an ABB hopefully. Will I be highly considered because it is my firm. I also have 75 extra UCAS points from doing dance outside school if that helps??

Hello!

I'm afraid I cannot give you a straight answer as accepting students on results day who haven't met the required grades depends on a variety of factors such as how far away they were from the expected grades, the intake rate of the people on the course already and looking at your personal statement. It may be one of these reasons or all three it really just depends when the results are in. But yes there are cases whereby the university accepts people who haven't quite made the grades. I can advise you (and I know its difficult!) but try not to fret about the outcome. Just be prepared on results day for whatever outcome so you can organise accordingly. It is a manic day so organisation and speed would help things run more smoothly should anything unexpected happen!

I hope this has helped! The best of luck with your exams,
Pip, third year English Literature and History of Art :smile:
Original post by UniofReading
Hello!

I'm afraid I cannot give you a straight answer as accepting students on results day who haven't met the required grades depends on a variety of factors such as how far away they were from the expected grades, the intake rate of the people on the course already and looking at your personal statement. It may be one of these reasons or all three it really just depends when the results are in. But yes there are cases whereby the university accepts people who haven't quite made the grades. I can advise you (and I know its difficult!) but try not to fret about the outcome. Just be prepared on results day for whatever outcome so you can organise accordingly. It is a manic day so organisation and speed would help things run more smoothly should anything unexpected happen!

I hope this has helped! The best of luck with your exams,
Pip, third year English Literature and History of Art :smile:

Thank you for the help!
My offer was for AAB but I have noticed recently that the entrance on the website for my course is now AAA/AAB for next year 2016. Hopefully that doesnt affect this year and I have also noticed that there are still spaces available on extra so hopefully they will let me in. If you are also a few marks off and say that you are getting it remarked then will you have to let them know the remarked grade or will they decide on results day whether to let you in or not?
Reply 15
apparently reading are quite lenient but as mentioned, it dopends on popularity! how do you know if there are still places available on your course?
i put reading as my insurance which i highly regret as i definately want to go to reading, but i know i wont meet my firm choice, i have to get ABC to do spanish and management, but think ill get a* CC - a* being in spanish, do i have a good chance?

also is there any way i can change reading to be my firm? or do i just wait until results day?
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi I'm thinking of studying at Reading for the year 2019/20 but my grades are MMM and the offer which I require is DDD. I want to study Management Information Technology but am worried I won't get in? Do I apply through clearing next year or apply as a firm or insurance choice?
Original post by Fakhirah12
Hi I'm thinking of studying at Reading for the year 2019/20 but my grades are MMM and the offer which I require is DDD. I want to study Management Information Technology but am worried I won't get in? Do I apply through clearing next year or apply as a firm or insurance choice?

Hello!

Thank you for your interest in this course and Reading!
Although I don't know people studying this particular course, lots of my friends came to Reading with lower grades and still were made an offer. So it is definitely worth a try, and in your personal statement if you can show an interest in the course and work experience then you still may be made an offer, which will just depend on the amount of applicants for that year etc.

So, I would get in touch with the admissions department to see if they can provide you with some more assistance. Their email address is [email protected]

Hope this information helps you!

Alice :h:
Food Science Student
Reply 19
Original post by ljb.95
I love it here. Good campus, i like the nightlife and my course etc etc.. if you have any specific questions feel free to ask

do you think theyll accept ccc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending