The Student Room Group

Self Studying A Level Maths.

Hello Everyone!

Thanks for coming to my little thread here and helping me out with my "situation".

So I've completed my A Levels, but near the end of them, I decided this is not really what i want to do for the rest of my life, so took a gap year. Now half way through and have decided i would like to go to study Electronic Engineering at Uni.

To help me get into a foundation year for this at Uni, and to give me a head start upon success. I'm self teaching myself A Level maths.

Now there are hundreds of books, S1, C1, D1 and all from different board, Edexcel, OCR.. etc, I don't know what any of this really means. I gather that S1 is Statistics 1. But i don't know if i should study this or what... I don't know which exam board books i should follow... I won't be taking any official exam (apart from a maths test to show my skill), so we don't need to think about the end exam. I just need to get the knowledge.

I have it on good terms from a professor (also my uncle) that; Calculus, Algebra, vectors and trigonometry are the most important topics.

So as my time is very limited from now until I take a uni maths test or need to prove that i have an aptitude for maths in some way, to help me get onto the foundation course. I (with your help) need to figure out which maths books to get, to enable me to learn the most important topics, to give me the best chance.
I can work hard, so don't feel the need to suggest "easy or quick" ways to learn if it's not going to give me a proper knowledge or what i would need.

I have not studied maths since GCSE, so need to kick start my brain back into action on this part.

So if you can suggest the best books to work through, and any other tips you may have, i would be forever great full.

Have not yet applied through ucas, but have an interview about this wtih a uni very soon!!!!! :eek:

Thank you.
Original post by mwh
Hello Everyone!

Thanks for coming to my little thread here and helping me out with my "situation".

So I've completed my A Levels, but near the end of them, I decided this is not really what i want to do for the rest of my life, so took a gap year. Now half way through and have decided i would like to go to study Electronic Engineering at Uni.

To help me get into a foundation year for this at Uni, and to give me a head start upon success. I'm self teaching myself A Level maths.

Now there are hundreds of books, S1, C1, D1 and all from different board, Edexcel, OCR.. etc, I don't know what any of this really means. I gather that S1 is Statistics 1. But i don't know if i should study this or what... I don't know which exam board books i should follow... I won't be taking any official exam (apart from a maths test to show my skill), so we don't need to think about the end exam. I just need to get the knowledge.

I have it on good terms from a professor (also my uncle) that; Calculus, Algebra, vectors and trigonometry are the most important topics.

So as my time is very limited from now until I take a uni maths test or need to prove that i have an aptitude for maths in some way, to help me get onto the foundation course. I (with your help) need to figure out which maths books to get, to enable me to learn the most important topics, to give me the best chance.
I can work hard, so don't feel the need to suggest "easy or quick" ways to learn if it's not going to give me a proper knowledge or what i would need.

I have not studied maths since GCSE, so need to kick start my brain back into action on this part.

So if you can suggest the best books to work through, and any other tips you may have, i would be forever great full.

Have not yet applied through ucas, but have an interview about this wtih a uni very soon!!!!! :eek:

Thank you.

OCR official text books are really good, I used them to self teach further maths. It gives you the theory and some worked examples then you just answer loads of questions, most efficient way of doing it
Original post by mwh
Hello Everyone!

Thank you.

I had a book in mind that I would have recommended but I couldn't remember the name so I decided to look for it using the web. So far I've not found it but on my travels I found this web site. It might be useful. I think that the bloke who does it might also be the one who does A level videos (Exam Solutions). If it is they'll be really good.

http://www.m4ths.com/gcse-to-a-level-bridge.html

In the meantime I'll continue looking for the thing I started looking for in the first place.
Reply 3
mwh
OP
Thank you both! and looking forward to seeing that book you have in mind Maggie.

I did reply earlier, but a mod removed my post -.-
Probably because it had a link to an Amazon maths book on it........

But in basic, which OCR books would i get Wahrheit? There's lots of "revisiony" ones, but not sure if they would be so good as i hadn't already learned it. There are other more focused ones based on, c1, c2 etc.. Which i think mean cores, but what cores are best to learn? Or is there another that encompasses the most important topics?
Reply 4
Original post by mwh
Thank you both! and looking forward to seeing that book you have in mind Maggie.

I did reply earlier, but a mod removed my post -.-
Probably because it had a link to an Amazon maths book on it........

But in basic, which OCR books would i get Wahrheit? There's lots of "revisiony" ones, but not sure if they would be so good as i hadn't already learned it. There are other more focused ones based on, c1, c2 etc.. Which i think mean cores, but what cores are best to learn? Or is there another that encompasses the most important topics?

The Core modules are designed to be learned in sequence so you should do C1-C4 in that order. If you do that you will have a pretty sound background in pure maths before you go on to further study.
Reply 5
mwh
OP
Excellent, thank you Davros. < Like the name!

Quick Reply

Latest