The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

University of Leeds Accommodation 2015

Where are people applying to? I am torn between Leodis and James Bailie. Do any current students have experiences with either of these?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In the exact same position as you, can't decide whether I want to live in the city for the first year or out in headingley
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by M45PT
Where are people applying to? I am torn between Leodis and James Bailie. Do any current students have experiences with either of these?

I lived in James Baillie in 1st year and I now live round the corner from leodis. James Baillie is more lively than leodis but it is further out from university/town & it's not really in headingley either, sort of half way between the two. It's about a half hour walk to get into uni..
Leodis is slightly quieter than James Baillie and quite a lot of Erasmus/year abroad students live there, still good though. It's about a 10 minute walk to get into university so you'd get an extra 20 minutes in bed in the morning if you went for leodis.
I don't know much about the interior of leodis but James Baillie has recently been refurbished and now has wifi in it (a luxury I didn't have when I was there) and the rooms and bathrooms are all generally good.
Have you thought about any of the other ones?
Reply 3
Original post by tasmay
I lived in James Baillie in 1st year and I now live round the corner from leodis. James Baillie is more lively than leodis but it is further out from university/town & it's not really in headingley either, sort of half way between the two. It's about a half hour walk to get into uni..
Leodis is slightly quieter than James Baillie and quite a lot of Erasmus/year abroad students live there, still good though. It's about a 10 minute walk to get into university so you'd get an extra 20 minutes in bed in the morning if you went for leodis.
I don't know much about the interior of leodis but James Baillie has recently been refurbished and now has wifi in it (a luxury I didn't have when I was there) and the rooms and bathrooms are all generally good.
Have you thought about any of the other ones?

I'm looking at Central Village, any advice about it at all?
Reply 4
Original post by h4nnah
I'm looking at Central Village, any advice about it at all?

I've never been inside it but it was only built 2 years ago so I assume it's pretty nice and modern inside.
It's half way between town and uni so It's really central - only about a 5-10 minute walk from each. There's a tesco express right underneath one of the central village buildings and it's right next to the gym/pool and some lecture theatres. There's also a big morrisons and a shopping centre about 5 minutes walk away too..
If you were thinking of bringing a car I'm not sure there's much parking at central village but unless you're doing a course that requires you to go out on placement a lot then there's not much need for a car in Leeds anyway.
Reply 5
Are there any halls that have a reputation for being unsociable? Also I a thinking about Henry Price do you have any advice/ knowledge about it?
Original post by am1997
Are there any halls that have a reputation for being unsociable? Also I a thinking about Henry Price do you have any advice/ knowledge about it?

I've put a few pictures of Henry Price accommodation on page 41 of the 'University of Leeds 2014 Applicants (2015 start)' thread, if you want a nosy :smile:
Reply 7
Thanks I'll have a look did you stay there, if so what did you think about it, would you recommend it? :smile:
Original post by M45PT

Hi, I live in central village this year and it's been SO convenient in terms of location.

It isn't as social as I'd hoped but I really get on with my flat, I am lucky in that sense as it isn't that common to get on with everyone the way my flat has.

I'd say that in terms of living in the city centre, it has been ideal for first year. I have gotten to know the city and the campus really well and I am
now looking forward to moving to Hyde Park next year.

Just go with one that fits your criteria best. Consider the cost, the location and the social aspects (this can vary though) and then think about which is best for you.

Headingly is great, so is the city.
I really stressed about my accommodation choice but I really believe it is what you make it!

Hope this helped, have an amazing time in September and enjoy Leeds, it's amazing!
Reply 9
Original post by am1997

None that are unsociable as such but oxley is quite a long way away from the city centre - you'd have to get a bus pass to get to uni and taxis back from (and possibly to) nights out.. I think it has quite a good atmosphere there though because it is far out people tend to make their own parties but no one will really want to go there for predrinks... It is close to Weetwood playing fields though so good if you play football/rugby/hockey/etc..
Reply 10
Original post by tasmay
None that are unsociable as such but oxley is quite a long way away from the city centre - you'd have to get a bus pass to get to uni and taxis back from (and possibly to) nights out.. I think it has quite a good atmosphere there though because it is far out people tend to make their own parties but no one will really want to go there for predrinks... It is close to Weetwood playing fields though so good if you play football/rugby/hockey/etc..

Do you know how popular Henry Price is, am I likely to get it if I put it down?
Has anyone stayed in charles morris? It looks really nice but the rooms look so tiny! I want an en-suite room and the bedroom's in lyddon hall look ideal but Im not sure im willing to risk putting that down and perhaps not getting one of the few en-suite's they have in that accommodation!
Reply 12
Original post by am1997
Do you know how popular Henry Price is, am I likely to get it if I put it down?

I'm not too sure but I don't think it's the most popular.. I do know that when I was looking (4 years ago) James baillie was one of the most popular but that may have changed.
Hi , I would be really grateful, if anyone could tell me, who is living Central Village, if the building works are really noisy? On their website, they have written " not recommend for students wanting a quiet environment " . I like to work in my room rather than the library. I wanted to put Central Village as my first choice so I would be grateful for any feedback.
Thanks.
Original post by Anisha123
Hi , I would be really grateful, if anyone could tell me, who is living Central Village, if the building works are really noisy? On their website, they have written " not recommend for students wanting a quiet environment " . I like to work in my room rather than the library. I wanted to put Central Village as my first choice so I would be grateful for any feedback.
Thanks.

Hey, Did you end up applying for CV?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RumaanahM
Hey, Did you end up applying for CV?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not yet!! hoping for a reply about the noise. There is a visitor day in April but Leeds is over 5 hours away from me!! So, all CV residents please help me!!!
All information would be very gratefully received!!
Original post by am1997
Thanks I'll have a look did you stay there, if so what did you think about it, would you recommend it? :smile:

I did, though just for the one night. The rooms were lovely, they were pretty spacious and there was a LOT of storage space. It seemed like a good location too. The penthouse rooms were amazing, you would be beyond lucky if you were given one of those - they were massive, split across two floors, with a couple of very large windows. The Jack-and-Jill bathrooms did seem a bit weird though, but at least they're in the process of putting electronic locks on them all :smile:
Original post by Anisha123
Not yet!! hoping for a reply about the noise. There is a visitor day in April but Leeds is over 5 hours away from me!! So, all CV residents please help me!!!
All information would be very gratefully received!!

I'm attending the visitors day, I read that the noise level is loud been certain hours, 8-5 if I remember correctly. That shouldn't be much of an issue. What course have you applied for?:smile:
Reply 18
Original post by tasmay
I'm not too sure but I don't think it's the most popular.. I do know that when I was looking (4 years ago) James baillie was one of the most popular but that may have changed.

Ok thanks a lot
Reply 19
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
I did, though just for the one night. The rooms were lovely, they were pretty spacious and there was a LOT of storage space. It seemed like a good location too. The penthouse rooms were amazing, you would be beyond lucky if you were given one of those - they were massive, split across two floors, with a couple of very large windows. The Jack-and-Jill bathrooms did seem a bit weird though, but at least they're in the process of putting electronic locks on them all :smile:

I thought that the joining bathrooms were a bit strange as well but good to hear that they are fitting locks. Thanks a lot for the help I think I'll put id down as my choice now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest