The Student Room Group

Sir Terry Pratchett has died aged 66

Fantasy author Terry Pratchett has died aged 66 after a long battle with Alzheimer's disease."

The world has lost one of its brightest, sharpest minds," said Transworld Publishers' Larry Finlay.

Sir Terry, best known for the Discworld series, wrote more than 70 books over his lengthy career. He was first diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2007, but continued writing, completing his final book last summer.

The author died at home, surrounded by his family.

Mr Finlay said he was "deeply saddened" by the news of Sir Terry's death. "In over 70 books, Terry enriched the planet like few before him. As all who read him know, Discworld was his vehicle to satirize this world: He did so brilliantly, with great skill, enormous humour and constant invention. "Terry faced his Alzheimer's disease (an 'embuggerance', as he called it) publicly and bravely. Over the last few years, it was his writing that sustained him. His legacy will endure for decades to come. "My sympathies go out to Terry's wife Lyn, their daughter Rhianna, to his close friend Rob Wilkins, and to all closest to him."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31858156

Really sad to hear as his books are some of my favourites :frown: 66 is also quite a young ages all things considered, but then it just makes you realise how terrible something like Alzheimer's Disease is.

https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/576036888190038016
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You're kidding me :frown: and despite all that was going on, that's still such a young age. This will hit my family hard I think as we're all fans of his books.
Reply 2
An absolute legend.
Rip
So sad :frown: He was incredible and I (and my whole family) were fans. RIP Sir Terry!

Favourite books- Thud or Nightwatch
(edited 9 years ago)

Glad to hear he died at home with his family - I hope it was a good one.

What was everyone's favourite book/character? It'd be a nice tribute if we could get people talking about how great his books were.

Sir Pterry
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it’s called Life.
(edited 9 years ago)
**** :frown:
Original post by PQ

Glad to hear he died at home with his family - I hope it was a good one.

What was everyone's favourite book/character? It'd be a nice tribute if we could get people talking about how great his books were.

Death

:cry:
So sad.

No more Discworld.

Rest in peace
I'm very saddened.
Original post by AmyPilot
So sad.

No more *new* Discworld.

Rest in peace

with some luck we might get some new TV/radio adaptations

I didn't know he was actually that close to death rest in peace sir.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Death

:cry:

I think Hogfather is one of my absolute favourite books - the scene in the grotto makes me howl with laughter
R.I.P.
Original post by PQ
I think Hogfather is one of my absolute favourite books - the scene in the grotto makes me howl with laughter

I think Hogfather and NightWatch are my two favorites.

“All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"

MY POINT EXACTLY.”

That had a profound effect on me when I was a young teenager :moon:

A lot of my world view has probably been influenced by Discworld books :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Now you must walk the desert but you will not be alone. All of those you made laugh will be by your side.
Favorite character Sam Vimes

Following his unwanted rise to power is still fantastic to read.

'kick ya in the fork'
Favorite 'scene'

the witches and the running of the bulls
THE DEATH OF THE WARRIOR OR THE OLD MAN OR THE LITTLE CHILD, THIS I UNDERSTAND, AND I TAKE AWAY THE PAIN AND END THE SUFFERING. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS DEATH-OF-THE-MIND. - Death (The Colour of Magic)

One of my all time favourite authors, this is truly a sad day.
Reply 19
Danm. Didn't think he was gonna die for a few years. Ahhh **** happens

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending