The Student Room Group

Which uni for English Lit/Lit with Creative Writing?

I'm applying for 2016 entry and my college are advising us to start deciding what university you'd like. I love English Lit and Creative Writing so that will be my degree (more so English Lit because Creative Writing is an optional module). I'm from Lancashire (North West) but I do NOT want to go to a north west uni. I'd like to go to a university in Scotland or in the South. I'm no Oxbridge candidate nor am I intelligent enough for any Russell Group, I'm a BBB student, maybe ABB at a push. Any uni recommendations? Thank you :smile:
You're good enough Russell Group. Queen Mary in London has a very good faculty for English and with BBB for AS you can easily get offer from them.
Reply 2
QMUL is a very good university but they don't offer any creative writing modules, only film studies and script writing which you can take up optionally from the film course in years 2 and 3. I'm a little stuck myself. Had my heart set on qmul and found out I wouldn't be doing any creative writing modules!
Reply 3
Bournemouth has a range of English courses on offer, and the entry requirements are BBB
Reply 4
Original post by lisgo
QMUL is a very good university but they don't offer any creative writing modules, only film studies and script writing which you can take up optionally from the film course in years 2 and 3. I'm a little stuck myself. Had my heart set on qmul and found out I wouldn't be doing any creative writing modules!

Oh my god I didnt know that! QMUL looked amazing! But one of my friends applied there and, even though he got an offer, his interviewer was so rude, he looked down on him for being from the north and compared him to a child! Maybe for the best then! im not sure if you're looking for a degree in Creative Writing or a just a module, but Royal Holloway is 15th in the UK for English, ABB requirements and offers either single honours English or English and Creative Writing :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by livshaw2408
Oh my god I didnt know that! QMUL looked amazing! But one of my friends applied there and, even though he got an offer, his interviewer was so rude, he looked down on him for being from the north and compared him to a child! Maybe for the best then! im not sure if you're looking for a degree in Creative Writing or a just a module, but Royal Holloway is 15th in the UK for English, ABB requirements and offers either single honours English or English and Creative Writing :smile:

Funnily enough I actually also applied to Royal Holloway, I'm in the process of firming my choices. The course looks perfect but it's in the middle of no where!
My friend had an interview at qmul and he's from Sunderland (can't get a lot more northern than that), he said it went really well and really liked his interviewer so maybe it was a one off? I've heard really good things other than that

Totally stressing now tho :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by lisgo
Funnily enough I actually also applied to Royal Holloway, I'm in the process of firming my choices. The course looks perfect but it's in the middle of no where!
My friend had an interview at qmul and he's from Sunderland (can't get a lot more northern than that), he said it went really well and really liked his interviewer so maybe it was a one off? I've heard really good things other than that

Totally stressing now tho :frown:

Where else did you apply? Yeah my friend was applying for Medicine not English at QMUL so maybe that's why haha! Isnt Royal Holloway not too far from London (to be honest, I'm classing anything under 5 hours, my drive distance from London, close haha)
Reply 7
I've applied to Manchester and Edinburgh (Edinburgh is a no for me though, not even sure why I applied haha) so now I'm shifting towards Manchester because of its nice creative writing modules, and a bonus I'd be near my boyfriend...trying not to consider that though when picking unis. RH's about 40 minutes on the train so would be really expensive to go there for a night out as the taxi home would cost tons, I've seen they have a fortnightly service that takes students on a night out there and back for like 20 quid though but I don't know too much about it. But there is nothing in the immediate area only pubs, not even much for shopping centres etc :frown:

I did call qmul about their modules and the person I was speaking to said they offer creative writing on some of the other courses on the linguistics and english/drama department etc which you can take up in 2nd and 3rd year but I couldn't find anything other than script writing and film. Might give them a ring back and ask why they lied to me...haha
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by lisgo
I've applied to Manchester and Edinburgh (Edinburgh is a no for me though, not even sure why I applied haha) so now I'm shifting towards Manchester because of its nice creative writing modules, and a bonus I'd be near my boyfriend...trying not to consider that though when picking unis. RH's about 40 minutes on the train so would be really expensive to go there for a night out as the taxi home would cost tons, I've seen they have a fortnightly service that takes students on a night out there and back for like 20 quid though but I don't know too much about it. But there is nothing in the immediate area only pubs, not even much for shopping centres etc :frown:

I did call qmul about their modules and the person I was speaking to said they offer creative writing on some of the other courses on the linguistics and english/drama department etc which you can take up in 2nd and 3rd year but I couldn't find anything other than script writing and film. Might give them a ring back and ask why they lied to me...haha

I know a few people who do/did English at Manchester uni and said its good, and the accommodation is beautiful! I take it that's your firm choice then? Yeah I thought most English courses, especially Lit courses, would offer a Creative Writing module, just checked on their list and there's just nothing there. Makes me think that maybe Russell Groups aren't that good with the courses after all, definitely makes me consider other places like Essex, Coventry and Leicester.
Reply 9
I'm still completely confused haha! Manchester is so low on the league tables for some reason? My mind keeps changing, one second I'm convinced I'm still going to go to QM but then I change my mind again. I'm wondering how vital it is really to study creative writing within my course, when the reality is I'm studying an English Lit degree at a prestigious London uni, and would probably go on to do my MA in publishing or something.
Anywaaaay I'm going to see if I make a decision in the next couple of weeks.
Russell Group unis seem overhyped, RH isn't a Russell Group as far as I know and it's equally as good as others
Original post by livshaw2408
I'm applying for 2016 entry and my college are advising us to start deciding what university you'd like. I love English Lit and Creative Writing so that will be my degree (more so English Lit because Creative Writing is an optional module). I'm from Lancashire (North West) but I do NOT want to go to a north west uni. I'd like to go to a university in Scotland or in the South. I'm no Oxbridge candidate nor am I intelligent enough for any Russell Group, I'm a BBB student, maybe ABB at a push. Any uni recommendations? Thank you :smile:

Hello!

I study English Literature and History of Art and would definitely recommend it. Have you looked at the University of Reading at all? There are modules in Creative Writing, but if in your first year you decide you want to pursue it further, you can take a Creative Writing pathway which places more emphasis on your own creations. Your dissertation could be your own creative work. That being said, there are many different modules that you can choose from at Reading, especially in third year where there are over 40 modules to take your pick from!

Feel free to ask any questions,
Pip, third year English Literature and History of Art :smile:
Someone I know has an offer for something similar at the University of Leicester :smile:
Reply 12
I've not gone yet, but I applied for Winchester and Plymouth for English Lit with Creative Writing, Winchester asked BBB and Plymouth BBC, always safe to have back up options! Fingers crossed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending