The Student Room Group

RAF medical

(edited 6 years ago)
Hi there,

I had to do the hearing test THREE Times. My left ear was fine, but my right ear I didn't hear all the beeps because he was doing his flipping paperwork on my right side. I stopped the test and told him to stop it, which he didn't appreciate but did so. The second time my left ear failed (He then figured the button was broken!) So we tried a third time and I passed. I don't like Capita, and I don't trust them. I'd speak to your AFCO and let them know that he was unprofessional in being even slightly noisy during, it is supposed to be in a sound proof room.

What I suggest is make sure you're as calm as possible before the test, speak to the doctor straight off and explain to him what happened last time round and that you'd like to do the blood pressure first (or first and last, or last, once you've passed everything else!!!)

Whilst doing the hearing test, if there is ANY noise in the room, stop the test, and request it to be quite. The hearing test is HARD, and shouldn't be made harder by external factors. I used some ear drops the week before the test to make sure I had no ear wax in my ears. Also, avoid listening to headphones or loud music in the days leading up to it. Give yourself the best chance possible.

Good luck, I'm sure it'll all be fine. I hated the medical as it's the only stage you can't really prepare for!!!
Reply 2
(edited 6 years ago)
Depends on Capita I will assume. I deffo think you'll have to do the hearing test again and the blood pressure at the very least.
Reply 4
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by indieboy747
Hm. I passed everything but my blood pressure was high as I've said. I had to go to my GP and do a 24-hour blood pressure monitor to clear up the issue. I was under the impression that I have to go back to the Capita doctor as a formality. He certainly gave me that impression himself anyway. Thanks for your reply. I know now that it wasn't just me. I felt it was unprofessional the way he dealt with me but I didn't want to go running to my AFCO disparaging the doc. Doesn't look good does it.

Hmm, I thought you'd already been asked to go back to Capita!! If not then actually...you might not have too!!!

Yeah, I don't like Capita, and wish the RAF wouldn't use them in all honesty, But to have a RAF doctor everywhere would cost too much.

I wish at least the fitness test would be at the AFCO, not hard to put a treadmill there. Would save a lot of effort. I'm still waiting on my results reaching the AFCO!!!
Reply 6
Capita arent the best, back in 2010 you could do it with a local Doctor close to your AFCO, but since theyve got this civvi company its gone down hill. If i were yous i would make sure you are happy before you even start the test.
Reply 7
I had the exact same issue with Capita, there were bloody building works being done upstairs. To be honest, I worked out that the beeps were coming in a rhythmic pattern, and just clicked away. Passed with the highest grade hearing.

I had to do the 24hr and the ECG as well, both of which were clear. It's a complete waste of everyone involved's time. But I guess, if we want the job we'll suffer.

I had all the tests done and then went back and got failed on something completely different, so fingers crossed that doesn't happen to you guys
Reply 8
I recently had passed me medical with Capita I also had the hearing test which was in Southport and in all honesty the sound control was awful!! I could practically hear the guy in the room next to me in the toilet!! My issue at the moment is I passed my BP whilst on my medical turned up for the fitness only to find out I had to have my BP taken again (anyone going for their fitness soon DON'T TAKE PRE WORKOUT) I had a bp of 156 systolic. Turns out at the fitness you get 3 opportunities to get your BP below 130/140 systolic before they even let you on the treadmill. I had my BP taken the first time and he then decided it was a good idea to let me know I only had to attempts and that this would class as a fail.

I went back for the 2nd attempt after staying off caffiene for 2 weeks and controlling my diet but some of you may of heard of ''White Coat Syndrome'' welll it's very real haha!!

As soon as someone puts that cuff on me bang!!! i hit 147 systolic and that classed as a fail, with each fail it got higher :-/

I've now been invited back to Capita for a limited medical, I'm not exactly sure what this means i'll be honest. It's to discuss my BP (i've bought my own BP machine since and I rarely go over 120 when i'm in a normal environment) has anyone had the limited medical?

Is this the part where I have the 24hr BP monitor?

Cheers
Reply 9
Original post by test1989
I recently had passed me medical with Capita I also had the hearing test which was in Southport and in all honesty the sound control was awful!! I could practically hear the guy in the room next to me in the toilet!! My issue at the moment is I passed my BP whilst on my medical turned up for the fitness only to find out I had to have my BP taken again (anyone going for their fitness soon DON'T TAKE PRE WORKOUT) I had a bp of 156 systolic. Turns out at the fitness you get 3 opportunities to get your BP below 130/140 systolic before they even let you on the treadmill. I had my BP taken the first time and he then decided it was a good idea to let me know I only had to attempts and that this would class as a fail.

I went back for the 2nd attempt after staying off caffiene for 2 weeks and controlling my diet but some of you may of heard of ''White Coat Syndrome'' welll it's very real haha!!

As soon as someone puts that cuff on me bang!!! i hit 147 systolic and that classed as a fail, with each fail it got higher :-/

I've now been invited back to Capita for a limited medical, I'm not exactly sure what this means i'll be honest. It's to discuss my BP (i've bought my own BP machine since and I rarely go over 120 when i'm in a normal environment) has anyone had the limited medical?

Cheers

Hi
In January I had limited medical for my medical history and my doctor had filled the form in and sent it back. They just went through the information and checked my weight and waist measurement because I was still on the heavy side.

In May I had low iron levels, again my doctor filled in the form and I sent it with a change of circumstances form that I had to fill in and then capita. I was booked in for a appointment and I went into see the capita gp and discussed the form and I think I was in there maybe 10 mins. Once the gp had discussed my form, checked my weight and waist measurement and I was in the healthy section and out of there.

Basically they will just discuss your problem, it shouldn't take too long. I drove an hour each way for my appointment and the appointment was maybe 10 mins. hope this helps.
Nicki x
Reply 10
Cheers Nicki, I just hope I get to do my fitness again really. High BP basically means they won't let me in :-( my limited is on Saturday so i'll update with how it goes.

Cheers

T
Reply 11
Cheers Nicki, I just hope I get to do my fitness again really. High BP basically means they won't let me in :-( my limited is on Saturday so i'll update with how it goes.

Cheers

T

Hi T

No problem, fingers crossed it all goes well for you.

Any help I can give you just shout.
Nicki x
Hi on a not totally unrelated matter, when I was 16/17 i went through a phase of passing out which has now been clear for a few years and the doctor says there is no problem any more. I understand that no one here will have a cast iron answer but some guidence as what to expect would be appreciated.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
Thanks mate, that's taken a lot of the stress off!! So frustrating that it is down to the individual though.

Thanks for replying!!! :-)
Reply 15

Cheers

Sounds like a lot of people get the same thing from the Crapita doctors! I had my medical back in January, same thing my BP.... which she took just after having me do push ups and squats. I had to go away and get a 24hr BP monitor from my doctor, although my doctor wouldn't give me one as when she measured my BP she said it wasn't high enough.
Phoned up Crapita and told them what my doctor had said, but they insisted I would need a monitor. In the end I had to pay out and go private just to get it sorted. Finally I was invited back for a limited medical in May, when I asked what it would involve, they said that they would just talk to me about the results from the 24hr monitor. As with probably most of you guys, I was having to travel a distance to go to these clinics, (Manchester to Liverpool) so I asked if it would be a paper review and that they could just sign it without me there, which finally they did.

My BP was high again before my fitness, but the chap just ignored it and started the test anyway.
Now I've got my prtc date and potential start date.

It all gets sorted in the end ;-)

Quick Reply

Latest