The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Changing your degree programme at LSE...

Hey guys!

I'm kind of in the worst possible situation right now, you could possibly imagine...
I received an offer from LSE for their Management program (undergraduate). At first I was super happy, the LSE is my absolut dream school and I'm dying to go there for years. But in the last couple of days, things have changed...
I contacted some alumni and what they basically told me, is that the course is VERY VERY HEAVY on Maths and immensely theoretical. After that, I did some more research and unfortunately what they told me was absolutely correct: The course is, if you want to call it like that, more a Mangement + Economics course. I'm doing ok at maths here in Germany, but were learning COMPLETELY different stuff than students who take the A-Level Math in the UK. I obviously know that there is some maths and statistics involved in studying something within the business or management area, but after talking to some alumni I sadly came to the conclusion that this course is nothing like what I was looking for... Long story short: Is it possible to change your degree program after being accepted? Does ANYONE here has experience with this? I did some research and the International Relations program seems to be a much better choice for me right now. Is it somehow possible to switch from Management to IR?

If not: Do you think it is worth it to decline my offer and re-apply for IR in January?

To everyone out there who asks himself the question: "Well, why don't you go to one of your other UCAS choices?" -> I got into KCL for their Business Management program (which is much more like what I expect a business / management program to be), but the offer they made is ridiculously high (way higher than LSE) so I'm definitely not gonna make it :-( And my other options are unis I don't really want to go to....

BY THE WAY: I'm from Germany, which basically means that going to the UK to study is a HUGE investment for me and I'm not willing to spend that crazy amount of money for a course that is not very appealing and suiting for me...

Anyone who can help me or has / had experiences with the same problem?! Please!
Reply 1
Original post by MaxiGassauer
Hey guys!

I'm kind of in the worst possible situation right now, you could possibly imagine...
I received an offer from LSE for their Management program (undergraduate). At first I was super happy, the LSE is my absolut dream school and I'm dying to go there for years. But in the last couple of days, things have changed...
I contacted some alumni and what they basically told me, is that the course is VERY VERY HEAVY on Maths and immensely theoretical. After that, I did some more research and unfortunately what they told me was absolutely correct: The course is, if you want to call it like that, more a Mangement + Economics course. I'm doing ok at maths here in Germany, but were learning COMPLETELY different stuff than students who take the A-Level Math in the UK. I obviously know that there is some maths and statistics involved in studying something within the business or management area, but after talking to some alumni I sadly came to the conclusion that this course is nothing like what I was looking for... Long story short: Is it possible to change your degree program after being accepted? Does ANYONE here has experience with this? I did some research and the International Relations program seems to be a much better choice for me right now. Is it somehow possible to switch from Management to IR?

If not: Do you think it is worth it to decline my offer and re-apply for IR in January?

To everyone out there who asks himself the question: "Well, why don't you go to one of your other UCAS choices?" -> I got into KCL for their Business Management program (which is much more like what I expect a business / management program to be), but the offer they made is ridiculously high (way higher than LSE) so I'm definitely not gonna make it :-( And my other options are unis I don't really want to go to....

BY THE WAY: I'm from Germany, which basically means that going to the UK to study is a HUGE investment for me and I'm not willing to spend that crazy amount of money for a course that is not very appealing and suiting for me...

Anyone who can help me or has / had experiences with the same problem?! Please!

I think you should get into that course and try to change it when you're already in the school. It's true you have absolutely no guarantee to change your course but I think it's still more likely than to change it now to IR.

Good luck with that! I'm myself waiting for an offer (I hope..) for the Bsc Management, therefore if you want to decline it, be aware that it might change my life and i would be really greatful if you do so hahah :tongue:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Hi,

Yes it is possible to switch from BSc Management to something like IR once you arrive at the LSE. At the start of the year? It's unlikely. But if you do well on your first year there have been cases of people switching from quant courses to more qualitative courses (But restarting their first year due to the difference in the nature of the two degree courses). The latter case requires a good performance in your final year examinations I believe.

To be honest BSc Management isn't that mathematical (at least in my opinion). Many of my friends who are doing Management aren't math lovers or insanely good at maths but they can cope really well with the course.
http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degreeProgrammes2015/management/N200_BSc_Man.aspx

There is only one compulsory maths course and one compulsory statistics course.

The rest is not maths heavy at all, just simple economics models and finance modules.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending