The Student Room Group

UCS or LSBU?!

Hi :smile: I'm new here. I'm waiting to receive an offer from UWE Bristol, but if I don't get an unconditional offer I am going to put down either UCS or LSBU in Extra. I don't know much about these universities as I don't live in the UK yet(I'm moving here in the summer). I just wanted you're guys honest opinions about these two universities and which one is better to study diagnostic radiography. I've heard really good reviews and some bad reviews about LSBU, so I have mixed thoughts about it. I really like it as it is in the heart of London and I need to know if it is really considered a crap university or not? Thanx in advance :smile:
Original post by AyeshaSultana
Hi :smile: I'm new here. I'm waiting to receive an offer from UWE Bristol, but if I don't get an unconditional offer I am going to put down either UCS or LSBU in Extra. I don't know much about these universities as I don't live in the UK yet(I'm moving here in the summer). I just wanted you're guys honest opinions about these two universities and which one is better to study diagnostic radiography. I've heard really good reviews and some bad reviews about LSBU, so I have mixed thoughts about it. I really like it as it is in the heart of London and I need to know if it is really considered a crap university or not? Thanx in advance :smile:

Are you eligible for an NHS course if you don't even live in the UK? Don't you have to be resident for three years before the first day of the academic year?
Original post by FeelingDepressed
Are you eligible for an NHS course if you don't even live in the UK? Don't you have to be resident for three years before the first day of the academic year?

Yes! I am eligible :smile: my father and some of my other family are residents in the Uk anyways but I don't think being a resident is an issue as a lot of other people from my school have also applied for the UK.
Original post by AyeshaSultana
Yes! I am eligible :smile: my father and some of my other family are residents in the Uk anyways but I don't think being a resident is an issue as a lot of other people from my school have also applied for the UK.

Yes it is an issue, it is irrelevant if your father is in the UK, when you complete your NHS bursary (for fees and funding) and also student maintenance forms you have to categorically confirm where you have been resident for the last three years. Lying on the forms is fraud and there is a big long disclaimer you have to sign up to with regard to this.

In any case, your school history would give it away.

Your fellow students may have applied for non NHS courses and as such being an EU or international student they can pay for their tuition like UK residents and be accepted in the same way.

You cannot apply for and be accepted for an NHS course if you are not resident in the UK for the three years prior to the first day of the new term.

I would suggest you look into this further before you count your chickens. If I am wrong happy to be directed to where on the NHS/Uni site for radiography it says you are eligible.

edited to add: APOLOGIES if you are Channel Islands or Isle of Man - I realise this is a whole different ball game
(edited 9 years ago)

Your fellow students may have applied for non NHS courses and as such being an EU or international student they can pay for their tuition like UK residents and be accepted in the same way.

Forgot to mention... I'm an EU student.
[QUOTE="AyeshaSultana;54274367"]

Forgot to mention... I'm an EU student.

ahh right, get you. So you may qualify for fees but not maintenance or something like that.
Reply 6
I dont think which university you train at matters. Once you have your qualification, you can take it and work anywhere. Ive yet to meet an employer who cares about where you trained, or even which classification of degree you got

it all comes down to what you plan to do outside of study. If you want a variety of entertainment on yr doorstep, then it has to be the cities. UCS is in ipswich, which is a very small town, however one of its placement sites is addenbrookes, which is known for its research, so you may see things there, you wont get in the london hospitals.

another thing to look at is the cost of living in each place. I would assume its cheaper to live at UCs than LSBU? Check out student survey too for more info. According to UCS prospectus, It is currently 3rd for diagnostic, whereas LSBU doesnt make any mention of its ranking.

tbh if you have the chance id at least visit them. They are only about 90mins apart by train. So could do both in one day?

Quick Reply

Latest