The Student Room Group

Cambridge: Changing Course

So I've recently been offered a place at Cambridge to study Economics, but I'm now having doubts about what course I really want to do. To be honest, I only chose econ at the start of the year because I thought it would help my career options the most (and I do like it quite a lot), but I've realised the subject I'm most passionate about is Physics. I've looked up the Natsci course for Cambridge, and there are a lot of courses that really interest me throughout the 4 years.

I know that this is quite a leap and may be impossible, but does anyone know if a course switch from econ to physics is possible provided I achieve the necessary grades? Thanks.
Original post by Renascence
So I've recently been offered a place at Cambridge to study Economics, but I'm now having doubts about what course I really want to do. To be honest, I only chose econ at the start of the year because I thought it would help my career options the most (and I do like it quite a lot), but I've realised the subject I'm most passionate about is Physics. I've looked up the Natsci course for Cambridge, and there are a lot of courses that really interest me throughout the 4 years.

I know that this is quite a leap and may be impossible, but does anyone know if a course switch from econ to physics is possible provided I achieve the necessary grades? Thanks.

Yes you can:

Cam.ac.uk

Due to course scope and flexibility, most students stay on the same degree course. However, it is possible to change course after one or two years.

Most changes are within the sciences or within the arts, but students can switch between broad areas as well. Not everything is possible but there’s a surprising degree of flexibility and, as such, a wide range of subject combinations are available.

To be able to change course, you need the agreement of your College that any change is in your educational interests, and that you have the necessary background in the subject to which you wish to change. If you think you may wish to change course, we encourage you to contact a College admissions office for advice. You should also consider if/how changing course may affect any financial support arrangements.

Source: http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/structure
Reply 2
Original post by Renascence

When did you get the offer? odd you haven't posted before....
NatSci is a 3 year course. Economics has a large proportion of maths, its not much like school Economics.

Your main problem is not having any Chemistry which does restrict your NatSci options but then not having done STEP is required for the Maths & Physics course. The standard NatSci offer is A*A*A with the A*s in either the FM, maths or Physics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending