The Student Room Group

Anyone been able to book a DSA Assessents for 2015 entry? -

Hi. Can anyone shed any light on the current situation re DSA's and assessments.

My daughter has been approved by SF and eligibility letter received. In this it said to book needs assessment. However, when we tried to do this we were told by the nearest centre that they are unable to book assessments at this time pending new guidance in relation to proposed changes by govt and s/f. They told me this would be the same across the UK and no-one could book an assessment. We were told the guidance is due out in the next month or so and they would contact us if and when they were able to begin assessments again.

Reading through recent posts on here, it would appear many of you have recently been assessed and are waiting equipment (laptops eg which we were told would no longer be supplied). What is going on? What is the new guidance likely to be, and are we being spun a line from the assessment centre.

Any advice/information much appreciated.
Reply 1
No SFE students are able to be assessed for 2015/16 DSA at the moment as the regulations for 15/16 have not been finalised. Therefore when a student books an assessment of needs they will be told they will be deferred until the regs are available, which will hopefully be before end of March. SFW (Wales) students can be assessed as the Welsh regulations came out this week.

Those who have already been assessed have been for 14/15 applications under the 14/15 regs.
Ok Thanks. Any idea what the changes are likely to be?
Reply 3
DRAFT guidance is here: http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/847636/guidance_document_-_second_draft_for_publication_16.10.2014.doc

Main difference is students will be required to pay the first £200 towards the cost of any computer equipment recommended. The changes to funding printing, accommodation etc have now been deferred to 16/17.
Reply 4
Statement released by DSA-QAG. Please note this ONLY applies to SFE, not Welsh or NHS students:

The Academic Year 2015/16 DSA Policy Guidance chapter has not yet been finalised and published by the government, the Department for Business Innovation and Skills (BIS) and the Student Loans Company (SLC).

We have therefore been advised by BIS, that it will not be possible for Assessment Centres at this stage to carry out study needs assessments for students who will be seeking DSA for the first time from 2015/16 without this finalised guidance. Unfortunately, we do not at this point have a definite date for publication of this guidance.

SFE will continue to instruct students to arrange their study needs assessments, however, it will not be possible for DSA Needs Assessments to be carried out until Assessment Centres receive the finalised guidance and its recommendations.

You can contact an assessment centre immediately, but they will either retain your details in order to offer you an appointment once the guidance has been released, or may be prepared to offer you a provisional appointment. However, you should be aware that this appointment may need to be postponed if the guidance has not been released.

We apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause you, but would stress that this is due to circumstances outside of our control. However, please be assured that there is still sufficient time for your Needs Assessment to take place before the start of your studies.
Oh dear - I know there is still quite a bit of time but was relying on this needs assessment to help discuss and sort out the most appropriate accommodation which needs to be done as quickly as posssible when bookings open which is imminent. Is not financial support but the needs assessment is used by the uni to ensure they allocate the accommodation suited to need based on the dsa report. Without this no guarantee will be made and no preferences considered. This could make a difference between success and failure for my daughter. Any advice appreciated.
Reply 6
Guidance has now been released so students should now be able to book DSA assessments for new applications for the 15/16 academic year. BIS have asked assessment centres to start using the guidance form 7th April, so you may be delayed until then.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Hi

NJones, are you saying that the new rules won't apply to 2015 starters who were assessed before 7th April?
Original post by grey_owl
Hi

NJones, are you saying that the new rules won't apply to 2015 starters who were assessed before 7th April?

Nobody has been assessed before this date;
the assessment centres understood that changes were happening and wouldn't have given you an appointment; they ask for your DSA letter and they want to know the year you are starting.

I had an appointment but because it took longer for the changes to be finalised they contacted me to change it.
Reply 9
OK, thanks for your reply
Hi
I was assessed my 6th form college back in September 2013, and was appointed 25% extra time and use of a computer during my A-Level, I know I qualified for a reader and a scribe. this last year I have been doing a foundation diploma in Art & design and my Art college havn't told us anything about DSA.

My question is will I have to be reassessed for DSA 2015/16?
Please Help!
Yes. You need to apply for DSA through the student finance process and then provide evidence. If you qualify you have a needs assessment. Your university will be provided with a report of recommendations which would give you things like extra time in exams, mentors etc.
talk about trying to save money by picking on us potentially worst off, i know people who wouldnt pay 100 for a diagnosis, so students will be reluctant to pay 200 for a PC i m sure.

Glad as a nhs student next year i missed out on these ridiculous changes.

Quick Reply

Latest