The Student Room Group

Are there any girls that aren't gold diggers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doctor_Einstein
But suppose two men, A and B, are identical in every way, except man A is a millionaire and man B is earning below average wage. Is it still just a coin flip to you whether you pick man A or man B, or are you now preferring man A.

For most men this extra info won't really be relevant, but I suspect most women want to sponge of their man at least a little bit and will thus lean towards man A.

That hypothetical scenario is completely pointless though, that situation of two men exactly the same apart from money would never happen in real life so it proves nothing.

I personally don't think I'd want to be a millionaire, way more money than I need.
Original post by Big man tings
Who's whinging this is an on-line forum so I have the legitimate right to post my view, secondly I don't need the opinion of another random user on how to pick up girls Thank you.:hand:

Your thread is one big self pitying legitimate random mysogynistic whinge.This is a first world country and I nor any other female or male tolerates mysogynists.
Original post by kumon
In my previous thread I talked about why people break up and also on other threads, people said girls found a rich man more attractive and dumped their life long partner.

Are there any loyal girls on here or elsewhere that don't jump onto the next guy as soon as they see money? I need to have my faith in humanity restored.

Edit: I mean girls that have jobs, but also latch onto rich men.

I'm only 19 but I don't care for my boyfriends income. It just so happens that he's in university at the moment so he's not going to be financially well off but I have absolutely no problem with that!

For me personally, I prefer the thought of me going out and making my own living. Hence why I'm going to university in September to get a degree and hopefully somewhere down the line, land myself a well paid job :smile:

I spend money on my boyfriend whenever I can, I've bought him shoes for the sake of it, I've bought him games for his playstation, I've bought him clothes. I really enjoy spending my money on the person who I love most! We're pretty equal in that respect with our relationship because he likes to pay for things when we're out, so I repay him by buying him things without him knowing :smile:
High heels? Don't wear them.
Make-up? Don't wear it.
Handbags? Have none, have no need for one.

Not that there is anything wrong with women who like their shoes, make-up and handbags.

My boyfriend isn't wealthy. That makes no difference to me, though. He makes me happy. We've been together for several years, we have a great relationship, we're planning on getting married, and I want to spend the rest of my life with him.

And no, I haven't settled. He is, in my opinion, the greatest guy on Earth. Yes, I am biased, but so what? :biggrin:
Original post by kumon
In my previous thread I talked about why people break up and also on other threads, people said girls found a rich man more attractive and dumped their life long partner.

Are there any loyal girls on here or elsewhere that don't jump onto the next guy as soon as they see money? I need to have my faith in humanity restored.

Definitely, i know plenty myself.
But suppose two men, A and B, are identical in every way, except man A is a millionaire and man B is earning below average wage. Is it still just a coin flip to you whether you pick man A or man B, or are you now preferring man A.

For most men this extra info won't really be relevant, but I suspect most women want to sponge of their man at least a little bit and will thus lean towards man A.

But people are never identical in every way, so that doesn't translate to dating reality.
Original post by skd1996
Are there any guys on the TSR that don't generalise women?

Part of me thinks that the thread starters are deliberately choosing the thread titles for rhetorical effect, and maybe the reassurance that someone might agree with them...
Reply 67
Original post by jordanhenderson.
I'm only 19 but I don't care for my boyfriends income. It just so happens that he's in university at the moment so he's not going to be financially well off but I have absolutely no problem with that!

For me personally, I prefer the thought of me going out and making my own living. Hence why I'm going to university in September to get a degree and hopefully somewhere down the line, land myself a well paid job :smile:

I spend money on my boyfriend whenever I can, I've bought him shoes for the sake of it, I've bought him games for his playstation, I've bought him clothes. I really enjoy spending my money on the person who I love most! We're pretty equal in that respect with our relationship because he likes to pay for things when we're out, so I repay him by buying him things without him knowing :smile:

Original post by Kittiara
High heels? Don't wear them.
Make-up? Don't wear it.
Handbags? Have none, have no need for one.

Not that there is anything wrong with women who like their shoes, make-up and handbags.

My boyfriend isn't wealthy. That makes no difference to me, though. He makes me happy. We've been together for several years, we have a great relationship, we're planning on getting married, and I want to spend the rest of my life with him.

And no, I haven't settled. He is, in my opinion, the greatest guy on Earth. Yes, I am biased, but so what? :biggrin:

You sound like good women, my faith has been restored. But would you leave him if he got into mortgage repayment problems? :s-smilie: That's a huge worry based on relationships made from money :s-smilie:
If I had the choice of staying at home and sponging off my man, or it the other way round- the latter would win every time.

However what's actually wrong with being a gold digger? There are plenty of men out there who don't mind (and even in some cases- prefer) their s/o to not work. They like the fact they are depended on and provide a luxury lifestyle to their loved one. There are also thousands of sugar daddy/sugar mommy relationships that people CHOOSE to enter into because that's what interests them- that is there choice.

Throughout history women have been told their role is to stay in the home and the husbands role is to provide. Families would push their daughters towards marrying someone well-off as this would provide a 'better' lifestyle. And so what? If that's what they want to do and no one is being hurt then fine.

There are plenty of women and men that just date for looks and sexual appeal. There are also plenty of relationships that are based on money- men also sponge off women too suprisingly!

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's wrong. Adults make their own decisions, date a gold digger or be a gold digger- doesn't mean they aren't a good person.
Reply 69
Original post by kumon

There's a difference between being a gold digger and wanting a man that can provide in a genuine relationship
Original post by Octopus_Garden
But people are never identical in every way, so that doesn't translate to dating reality.

In practice this never occurs, however what the thought experiment will illustrate is how males and females view wealth differently when analyzing the attractiveness of the opposite sex. The way we model the world is never the way the world actually works, but we can learn a lot by analyzing simplified models (which is what is done in all areas of science). I admit however this can be hard to get one's head around if they have never studied any sciences at a high level before.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mkap
There's a difference between being a gold digger and wanting a man that can provide in a genuine relationship

But it is interesting that it is usually the women who want a man to provide, rather than a man wanting a woman to provide isn't it?
Original post by skd1996
If I had the choice of staying at home and sponging off my man, or it the other way round- the latter would win every time.

However what's actually wrong with being a gold digger? There are plenty of men out there who don't mind (and even in some cases- prefer) their s/o to not work. They like the fact they are depended on and provide a luxury lifestyle to their loved one. There are also thousands of sugar daddy/sugar mommy relationships that people CHOOSE to enter into because that's what interests them- that is there choice.

Throughout history women have been told their role is to stay in the home and the husbands role is to provide. Families would push their daughters towards marrying someone well-off as this would provide a 'better' lifestyle. And so what? If that's what they want to do and no one is being hurt then fine.

There are plenty of women and men that just date for looks and sexual appeal. There are also plenty of relationships that are based on money- men also sponge off women too suprisingly!

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's wrong. Adults make their own decisions, date a gold digger or be a gold digger- doesn't mean they aren't a good person.

It is not wrong to be a gold digger, but it is wrong if a gold digger pretends to love someone for who they are rather than the person's possessions.

If a gold digger is open about the fact that she loves the man's excess possessions, and the man accepts the woman, then the relationship isn't based on deception and all is well.

But if a gold digger tricks a man into a relationship in order to gain access to his wealth then the man is being exploited and this is wrong.

The OP acknowledge this and said that he would much rather a woman be open and honest about her love of men who are wealthy.
In practice this never occurs, however what the thought experiment will illustrate is how males and females view wealth differently when analyzing the attractiveness of the opposite sex. The way we model the world is never the way the world actually works, but we can learn a lot by analyzing simplified models (which is what is done in all areas of science). I admit however this can be hard to get ones head around if they have never studied any sciences at a high level before.
:confused: Science? Is that a new high quality brand of shampoo? Tell me moar!

*cuddles kittens and starts an English Literature degree*
Original post by SophieSmall
That hypothetical scenario is completely pointless though, that situation of two men exactly the same apart from money would never happen in real life so it proves nothing.

I personally don't think I'd want to be a millionaire, way more money than I need.

While this thought experiment can never happen in reality, it can nevertheless illustrate a certain point. The point is that money is a factor that influences how attractive a man is to a woman. It can also show that money is less of a factor in determining the attractiveness of a woman to a man.
Original post by kumon
You sound like good women, my faith has been restored. But would you leave him if he got into mortgage repayment problems? :s-smilie: That's a huge worry based on relationships made from money :s-smilie:

We don't even have a mortgage at the moment - just renting. Might never have the money to buy a house. However, should we be in a position when we can, and then have a monetary setback, then we'd get through it together. Life will always have its ups and downs, and if you're with someone, you enjoy the ups and tackle the downs as a team.
Me.

I made really good friends with the son of a multibillionaire at uni and he liked me and very little experience with girls. If I was a gold digger it would have been so easy for me to get with him. But he wasn't my type, and personality is much more important.

I've been with my bf for 4 years so far and I wouldn't mind in the slightest if he said 'I've lost all my money'. I'd just work extra hard to try and make up for the lack of income whilst he looked for another job :smile:
Original post by Octopus_Garden
:confused: Science? Is that a new high quality brand of shampoo? Tell me moar!

*cuddles kittens and starts an English Literature degree*

I'm glad you asked. Science is about understanding how the world works, often by breaking it down into understandable components, using thought experiments and real experiments to determine the principles that govern our universe.

One of the fascinating things about discovery in science, is often you must consider the most absurd unrealistic scenarios (such as Einstein thinking about travelling along a light beam) in order to discover the fundamental mechanics of our real world.

Not everyone is destined to study science to a high level, but I think everyone would be wise to respect this noble pursuit.
I'm glad you asked. Science is about understanding how the world works, often by breaking it down into understandable components, using thought experiments and real experiments to determine the principles that govern our universe.

One of the fascinating things about discovery in science, is often you must consider the most absurd unrealistic scenarios (such as Einstein thinking about travelling along a light beam) in order to discover the fundamental mechanics of our real world.

Not everyone is destined to study science to a high level, but I think everyone would be wise to respect this noble pursuit.
Yeah, you've got serious potential for a career as a writer for Usborne discover science books. Have you got together with an illustrator yet? :wink:
Reply 79
But it is interesting that it is usually the women who want a man to provide, rather than a man wanting a woman to provide isn't it?

I do psychology Alevel I can i'll give you a reason why if you want lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending