The Student Room Group

How many MSc applications to make? (OU student rather unsure of my chances)

Hi,
I'm currently an OU student (Mathematics and Statistics) due to finish this summer, I'm looking at (mainly) MSc courses in Statistics.

I should graduate with a 2:1 I'm currently studying one level 2 module and two level 3 modules. As long as I get at least a 'grade 2' in one of the level three modules and grade 3 for the other modules I'll get a 2:1.. I think I should be able to get at least a grade 2, possibly distinction in each of the modules, giving me a 'good' 2:1. Studying with a stressful job hasn't been easy, have had a few incidents with illness - surgery just before exams at one point threw a spanner in the works and I ended up with a grade 4 for a 60 credit level 2 module I'd been averaging a distinction for in the coursework(TMAs) - still despite a few hiccups with some modules I've got a distinction for one stats module and a grade 2 pass for another one and should get a 2:1 overall... looking at MSc courses it seems pretty much most just require a 2:1? Though presumably there is more to it than this, when the likes of Warwick, UCL etc.. require a 2:1 are they looking more for people who are very very close to getting a 1st? Nottingham on the other hand seems to accept a 2:2 and seems to have a good Stats department.

Anyway apologies for the waffle - if anyone can comment/answer any of the below questions I'd much appreciate it. I will contact some tutors in the next few days too to seek advice.

How do traditional red brick universities view OU students?

The OU has a slightly different grading system for modules - I've had a not so good results in a couple and good results in a couple of others - overall I should achieve a 2:1 but I am slightly concerned about the not so good module results - are universities OK with having some poor grades for some modules or do they prefer a more consistent set of grades?

Is it still worth applying for the more competitive courses - the course at Warwick does look good as does the Computational Statistics and Machine Learning course at UCL (I'm currently completing a Machine Learning related online course too in addition to the OU study and have just started to look at some of the beginner problems on kaggle.org).

If I were to apply to a couple of the (likely) competitive/oversubscribed courses I'd likely also want to apply to a couple with less competition/lower entry requirements - how many MSc courses is it normal to apply for - I mean technically I could apply for any number but realistically I've got to ask tutors if they'd be happy to provide a reference for each and I doubt they'd be too happy to be bombarded with requests... would 5 or 6 be pushing it a bit too much?

The other issue is that as an OU student the courses are self contained, the learning materials are very good, I don't have lectures and the tutorials are optional sessions which I'm mostly not able to make it to thanks to having rather long hours in my day job(financial software). I've got a current course where I've been able to attend a couple of tutorials and a residential course I attended - so hopefully the tutors from those will be able to provide a reference but otherwise I'd be potentially asking people who I've only ever corresponded with via e-mail and assignments sent to them in the post! If a lot of weight is placed on references am I at a bit of a disadvantage here as a mostly distance learning student?

Anyway, apologies again for the waffle and if you are able to comment on any of the above it would be much appreciated.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest