The Student Room Group

A good balanced diet without "losing the fun" on a budget

Hi there. I'm just wondering about any good diets to have on a weekly plan without substituting anything for lettuce, for example? I exercise pretty regularly and for reasonable amounts of time but I am tempted to keep on eating fast food and grab the biscuit box or get a cheeky twix out of the fridge etc. and it's driving me nuts here! I'm budgeting myself £10 a week for food so I'm finding it difficult to find anything. Can anyone help me?
Original post by reapingunicorn32
Hi there. I'm just wondering about any good diets to have on a weekly plan without substituting anything for lettuce, for example? I exercise pretty regularly and for reasonable amounts of time but I am tempted to keep on eating fast food and grab the biscuit box or get a cheeky twix out of the fridge etc. and it's driving me nuts here! I'm budgeting myself £10 a week for food so I'm finding it difficult to find anything. Can anyone help me?

You have somewhat unrealistic expectations - a "good", healthy diet with the odd treat all for less than £10 a week. To give you some perspective, I had similar aims but used to budget £20-30 a week for food (and that was several years ago ignoring the influence of inflation).

Now sure you can eat for £10 or less a week but you would have to adopt a largely vegetarian diet based on cereals, beans and pulses, all of which can be bought dried in bulk very cheaply, and browse the bargain bins at supermarkets on a daily basis. You would also have to give up pretty much all processed food, meat and alcohol.

You're effectively budgeting less than 50p a meal. Buying just one Twix would mean going without a meal. Equally enjoying just one pint with your mates would blow your entire food and drinks budget for 1-2 days.
Reply 2
£10 a week is a lot of value oats and bread. I'm all for eating cheaper but that's not much money, £20 is more realistic

I think the trick is to prepare. Plan your week's food, do one shop, cook big batches, stick to it. You'll blow the budget by buying lunch on the go. Decide what ingredients aren't worth the price. Cook everything properly from scratch.
Reply 3
10 pound a week on food isn't going to be a good balanced diet. Why such a low budget might I ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest