The Student Room Group

University College Utrecht

Howdy!
Is anyone here applying to UCU? My school didn't even mention studying abroad as an option, so I had to research this place all by myself. I was just wondering if anyone else out there is doing the same...
I feel all alone!!
:sw: Flairy :sw:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Did you apply there by now?
I was thinking of starting a bachelors degree there (rather than study abroad)
but I haven't heard anyones opinion on it, except my family's who think studying in the Netherlands is one of the most stupid ideas I ever had :biggrin:
Reply 2
In the Netherlands, they are blamed for being elitist but they are actually quite good. Here you can see where the graduates of Roosevelt Academy (a sister institution) went to:

http://www.roac.nl/roac/?p=news&i=84

I will probably apply to RA, as I like the environment more.
Reply 3
Vehendi
In the Netherlands, they are blamed for being elitist but they are actually quite good. Here you can see where the graduates of Roosevelt Academy (a sister institution) went to:

http://www.roac.nl/roac/?p=news&i=84

I will probably apply to RA, as I like the environment more.

Wow, it's great to see someone is applying to the Roosevelt Academy, as I live in Middelburg myself. Feel free to ask me any questions about the city itself or whatever you'd like to know.
I was just going to reply and say you better hurry with your application because it is due December 15th for EU and then realised that the first post is from 2006 :biggrin::s-smilie:
essygal1990
I was just going to reply and say you better hurry with your application because it is due December 15th for EU and then realised that the first post is from 2006 :biggrin::s-smilie:

Predicted grades don't mean anything, believe me!
captain kirk
Predicted grades don't mean anything, believe me!

Sorry?!?! :s-smilie:
Reply 7
I just applied to UCU. :smile:
NickkO
I just applied to UCU. :smile:

I have also applied to UCU :smile:. I PMed you :biggrin:
mbrakel
Another UCU applicant here. Went to visit there a few weeks ago... It is quite a nice place!

Are you doing the IB? :smile:
mbrakel
Nope. Just regular Dutch education.. (VWO). You're from Finland right? How did you come across UCU?

I am currently living in Finland, after living in Holland, Yemen and Thailand. I am Dutch en ik spreek Nederlands :biggrin:. Wil je heel graag naar UCU gaan, is het je eerste keuze?

I just asked whether you do IB because I am a little lost on how difficult it is to get into UCU. Are you applying to universities in the UK also?

Tell me all :biggrin: :biggrin:

Oh and was the housing nice at UCU? :smile:
Oh no I am well aware that the IB is considered as highly as the VWO. I am just a little uncertain, as they do not provide a specific minimum requirement (besides "goed"). At LSE for example they state that the minimum is 37 points. Would you mind telling me what grades you are predicted? (I understand if you would prefer not to :smile: ).

Yes, I am also applying to LSE :smile: I did not apply for Oxbridge because I plan to do my masters there instead, and wasn't aware of the early deadline. Considering it took me roughly 13 drafts to write my PS, it would not have been any good so early on.
You see it is rather hard to change my average into a VWO equivalent. I have approximated it to be 9.4-9.7 but I am still uncertain. I just hope 40/42 is good enough!

Yes, it is rather a pain for international students but understandable, you can't beat the system :smile:

My first choice university is LSE, I am really hoping that they will accept me. But I am not sure if my grades are good enough :frown:. What is your first choice university?
AHHH THIS THREAT IS SO EXCITING.
are you all not dutch?
I'm applying there too :biggrin: (Roosevelt, UCU and UCM)
mbrakel
They don't specify a specific minimum requirement, because there really is none. The Dutch still have some problems with selection in Higher Education. Officially, there is no selection (!) as you can always go to the University of Utrecht of which UCU is a part. The designers of UCU have been very creative :wink:.

You are indeed expected to get good grades, but the letter of motivation and all that is considered more important. I would say that a 7 average in VWO or its IB equalivent should do the trick.

As far as my own grades go, I hold no formal, school prediction. However, I think I should be able to pull of an 8 average after the central exams in May...

What is your first choice uni?

From what I heard, UCU wants about 32 IB points, UCM 28 and Roosevelt told me they want 24 although they seem more academic so I don't really trust that...
margsch
From what I heard, UCU wants about 32 IB points, UCM 28 and Roosevelt told me they want 24 although they seem more academic so I don't really trust that...

This isn't specifically directed at you, but I find it quite irritating when applicants/persons say something which is far from the truth. If you "do not really trust that", why do you share it? I fail to see the intent. However, since you decided to share it, who is the source? I am sorry if this came over rather harsh.

Anyways, mbrakel it does seem rather off! :biggrin: I applied for Management at LSE :smile:. All we can do is hope, but hopefully we will not have to wait till the 30th of March!

I wonder when we will hear if we are invited for the interview. In the email I received from them they said "sometime in January".
essygal1990
This isn't specifically directed at you, but I find it quite irritating when applicants/persons say something which is far from the truth. If you "do not really trust that", why do you share it? I fail to see the intent. However, since you decided to share it, who is the source? I am sorry if this came over rather harsh.

The source, essygal1990, is the woman who picked up the phone who first asked me what a pass was in IB, after having me explain what the IB itself was, and then told me that that 'should' be okay.

If you want to trust this, please do so. But don't tell me what I can or cannot share. I was obviously just wondering to see how many points others think necessary to get in, because the source did not seem very trustworthy, rather than wanting to be called irritating by you. Waar was dat nou weer voor nodig??
margsch
The source, essygal1990, is the woman who picked up the phone who first asked me what a pass was in IB, after having me explain what the IB itself was, and then told me that that 'should' be okay.

If you want to trust this, please do so. But don't tell me what I can or cannot share. I was obviously just wondering to see how many points others think necessary to get in, because the source did not seem very trustworthy, rather than wanting to be called irritating by you. Waar was dat nou weer voor nodig??

I clearly indicated that my statement - or rather insult in your eyes - was impersonal, yet this failed to come across. Rather funny, however, as I was merely told by UCU that they cannot indicate a specific amount of IB points as they consider the application on a whole and would like to give each applicant an equal chance.

As I already indicated I find this information rather subjective. Similarily, the fact that offense was taken portrays more of your character than mine.
essygal1990
I clearly indicated that my statement - or rather insult in your eyes - was impersonal, yet this failed to come across. Rather funny, however, as I was merely told by UCU that they cannot indicate a specific amount of IB points as they consider the application on a whole and would like to give each applicant an equal chance.

As I already indicated I find this information rather subjective. Similarily, the fact that offense was taken portrays more of your character than mine.

There is no doubt about that. All this is subjective, because there is no definite amount of points on the website, and when I email/call, get my academic advisor to email/call, I get a different amount of points required each time.
Well then luckily we have reached a common conclusion :smile:

Good luck with your application, and I hope you are invited for an interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending