The Student Room Group

Will I get in??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jakepds
Thats great, thanks for the help. When you say taking a break from A Levels, you are aware that I will only be half go the way through the course, don't worry; I'm not questioning your intelligence?

I will try to nail the essays, how long are they and how many have to be done for each university.

What is common application, how does it work?

Will I have to learn any new material for the subject tests over summer, or will I just have to practise the techniques?

1; Yup but AS' are not anything to laugh at (Although when you get to A2 you'll look back and laugh at ever finding it difficult from my experience, even though there doesn't feel like a huge difficulty increase)
2; Depends on the schools; they all have their own requirements. My worst were Stanford, Yale and Princeton. Yale wanted a big essay about "something you haven't already told us" or something and Princeton had an awful one with prompts. It's totally school-specific. Some don't have any. They vary from 100 words to like 1000 and schools have zero to loads.
3; Common App is similar to UCAS, just means you can apply to loads of unis without having to write your name, extracurriculars, address, and other redundant information thousands of times.
4; There'll be a bit in Math II and Physics you'll need to learn a lot of new topics but not to a very deep level; just deep enough to have a vague working knowledge and be able to remember and apply all equations (That's the worst bit IMO). Definitely get a test prep book for each SAT II you sit!
Reply 41
Original post by anunoriginaluser
1; Yup but AS' are not anything to laugh at (Although when you get to A2 you'll look back and laugh at ever finding it difficult from my experience, even though there doesn't feel like a huge difficulty increase)
2; Depends on the schools; they all have their own requirements. My worst were Stanford, Yale and Princeton. Yale wanted a big essay about "something you haven't already told us" or something and Princeton had an awful one with prompts. It's totally school-specific. Some don't have any. They vary from 100 words to like 1000 and schools have zero to loads.
3; Common App is similar to UCAS, just means you can apply to loads of unis without having to write your name, extracurriculars, address, and other redundant information thousands of times.
4; There'll be a bit in Math II and Physics you'll need to learn a lot of new topics but not to a very deep level; just deep enough to have a vague working knowledge and be able to remember and apply all equations (That's the worst bit IMO). Definitely get a test prep book for each SAT II you sit!

Okay, that makes sense. I probably asked you already, where are you going for college, was it Cornell?
How long can a 1000 word essay really take? Are they hard or can you get by just knocking them up quickly?
Are your essays attached to common app, or is it just test scores and financial need?
How about Math I, will AS knowledge get me through that or will I need a greater understanding?
Should I get tutoring for either the reasoning SAT or the subject tests, or do services like Khan Academy work as well?
Reply 42
Original post by NYU2012
NYU, undergrad
Durham, Law degree
UChicago (pending) Masters

Columbia is indeed in NYC.

I am beginning to form a bit of a list of ones I could see myself going to, to major in Economics, they are as follows:

Harvard
MIT
Princeton
UChicago
UPenn
Yale
Columbia
Brown
Cornell
Duke

Should I consider any others, is this a good start?
Original post by jakepds
Okay, that makes sense. I probably asked you already, where are you going for college, was it Cornell?
How long can a 1000 word essay really take? Are they hard or can you get by just knocking them up quickly?
Are your essays attached to common app, or is it just test scores and financial need?
How about Math I, will AS knowledge get me through that or will I need a greater understanding?
Should I get tutoring for either the reasoning SAT or the subject tests, or do services like Khan Academy work as well?

I'm still waiting for my decisions but I think I have an offer from Cornell (Although whether they give enough aid is another story)

They're very thought provoking and the admissions tutors will know if you put mental thought into them or if you just 'knocked them up quickly.' I would google supplement essays for the colleges you are interested in for a real look at them.

Common App handles it all really, score sending and financial reporting are done seperately though (Through CollegeBoard/ACT and the CSS Profile respectively, usually. Some colleges will want paper forms scanned/faxed/mailed for financial aid though)

I would advise doing Math II since you're doing maths and further maths. They might wonder why you only did Math I, otherwise.

Tutoring is definitely not essential. Again, test prep books are pretty much the best thing you can get. Stuff like Khan Academy and tutoring will go a long way to help clarifying any topics you're having issues in though, but test prep books, if you get a decent one, will cover everything you need to know thoroughly and clearly.

Original post by jakepds
I am beginning to form a bit of a list of ones I could see myself going to, to major in Economics, they are as follows:

Harvard
MIT
Princeton
UChicago
UPenn
Yale
Columbia
Brown
Cornell
Duke

Should I consider any others, is this a good start?

If you're set on the US definitely add some less selective colleges. If you're just aiming to go somewhere very good though that should be fine with the UK as a backup :smile:
Reply 44
I'm still waiting for my decisions but I think I have an offer from Cornell (Although whether they give enough aid is another story)

They're very thought provoking and the admissions tutors will know if you put mental thought into them or if you just 'knocked them up quickly.' I would google supplement essays for the colleges you are interested in for a real look at them.

Common App handles it all really, score sending and financial reporting are done seperately though (Through CollegeBoard/ACT and the CSS Profile respectively, usually. Some colleges will want paper forms scanned/faxed/mailed for financial aid though)

I would advise doing Math II since you're doing maths and further maths. They might wonder why you only did Math I, otherwise.

Tutoring is definitely not essential. Again, test prep books are pretty much the best thing you can get. Stuff like Khan Academy and tutoring will go a long way to help clarifying any topics you're having issues in though, but test prep books, if you get a decent one, will cover everything you need to know thoroughly and clearly.

If you're set on the US definitely add some less selective colleges. If you're just aiming to go somewhere very good though that should be fine with the UK as a backup :smile:

I am only doing Maths, no further maths. My four are Maths, Physics, Economics and geography.
I think that the UK will be my backup, Cornell is the least selective out of these right?
I am going to take my SAT for the first time in around a year, and then will do the subject tests in year 13 when I have had the summer to do the work.
How often would you expect to come home? I think that once or twice a year would be good. And also would you expect to stay in the US after your course is over?
Reply 45

Another thing I wondered was how the whole Major system works.

1. Di I have to apply for a certain major on my application or do I choose it once I'm there.
2. Do different majors have tougher requirements.
3. I've heard that the first year is a foundation year, what does this cover?
4. What are minors, I understand that they are bits that go on the side of your degree, but how many do you do? Do they have to have a direct link to your course. And are they classed as a part of your degree, or just an extra?

Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated!
Original post by NYU2012
No, the SAT and usually SAT II subject tests are for undergraduate admissions.

Graduate testing, just an fyi, is, depending on your subject choice, the GRE, MCAT or LSAT.

You forgot the GMAT for business schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NYU2012
NYU, undergrad
Durham, Law degree
UChicago (pending) Masters

Columbia is indeed in NYC.

How much dollar do you have? That's roughly 9 years of uni, don't you want to pursue a career??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jakepds
I am only doing Maths, no further maths. My four are Maths, Physics, Economics and geography.
I think that the UK will be my backup, Cornell is the least selective out of these right?
I am going to take my SAT for the first time in around a year, and then will do the subject tests in year 13 when I have had the summer to do the work.
How often would you expect to come home? I think that once or twice a year would be good. And also would you expect to stay in the US after your course is over?

Ah, okay. Test prep books will still get you through it fine though :smile:

Most likely, but 'least selective' is subjective and when your list is full of elite schools it doesn't mean a whole lot.

I think most unis either give you aid for one return flight a year (Presumably Aug - Julyish) or none and expect you to fund it yourself. Things like this are very institution specific.

I wouldn't expect to stay in the US after a course is over. Getting green cards to immigrate or other visas isn't the easiest thing in the world from what I've heard though I'd imagine having a degree from a top US university would assist somewhat in getting e.g. a company to sponsor you.

Original post by jakepds
Another thing I wondered was how the whole Major system works.

1. Di I have to apply for a certain major on my application or do I choose it once I'm there.
2. Do different majors have tougher requirements.
3. I've heard that the first year is a foundation year, what does this cover?
4. What are minors, I understand that they are bits that go on the side of your degree, but how many do you do? Do they have to have a direct link to your course. And are they classed as a part of your degree, or just an extra?

Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated!

This stuff is again very institution specific -- You need to do your own research in that respect.

GENERALLY, though,
1. They'll want you to list one or a few potential majors but won't expect you to stick to it.
2. Depends on the institution but I think in many each department will choose their own major requirements? If so, it'll vary, yes.
3. Most places you just choose to take courses. It's not like over here where we've got very structured courses. You'd probably be given a long list of courses and be faced with the decision of choosing some.
4. Generally unis allow you to do e.g. a major, a major and a minor, a double major or even in some cases I've heard of a double major and a minor or a triple major.

Essentially, to my understanding, a minor is like a baby major - it shows that you took a lot of courses relating to the subject and passed them but not as many as you would need to do to get a major in it.

They don't usually have to be related but it might make it easier to get one if they are. :smile:

You really need to do some independent research though -- This stuff varies across institution so we can't give any definitive answers.

Most likely, but 'least selective' is subjective and when your list is full of elite schools it doesn't mean a whole lot.

I think most unis either give you aid for one return flight a year (Presumably Aug - Julyish) or none and expect you to fund it yourself. Things like this are very institution specific.

I wouldn't expect to stay in the US after a course is over. Getting green cards to immigrate or other visas isn't the easiest thing in the world from what I've heard though I'd imagine having a degree from a top US university would assist somewhat in getting e.g. a company to sponsor you.

This stuff is again very institution specific -- You need to do your own research in that respect.

GENERALLY, though,
1. They'll want you to list one or a few potential majors but won't expect you to stick to it.
2. Depends on the institution but I think in many each department will choose their own major requirements? If so, it'll vary, yes.
3. Most places you just choose to take courses. It's not like over here where we've got very structured courses. You'd probably be given a long list of courses and be faced with the decision of choosing some.
4. Generally unis allow you to do e.g. a major, a major and a minor, a double major or even in some cases I've heard of a double major and a minor or a triple major.

Essentially, to my understanding, a minor is like a baby major - it shows that you took a lot of courses relating to the subject and passed them but not as many as you would need to do to get a major in it.

They don't usually have to be related but it might make it easier to get one if they are. :smile:

You really need to do some independent research though -- This stuff varies across institution so we can't give any definitive answers.

Actually, international students are entitled to OPT which grants them a year in the states after their degree (provided they have a job or are starting a business). Graduates of STEM degrees can get this extended to up to 29 months. Afterwards, the company can choose to sponsor you for an H1B. 6 years into that you'd eligible to apply for a Green Card (permanent residency).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Actually, international students are entitled to OPT which grants them a year in the states after their degree (provided they have a job or are starting a business). Graduates of STEM degrees can get this extended to up to 29 months. Afterwards, the company can choose to sponsor you for an H1B. 6 years into that you'd eligible to apply for a Green Card (permanent residency).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh really? :O I wasn't aware of that; thanks! :smile:

Any idea what kind of rate employers sponsor graduates though? I've tried to find similar statistics in the past but either my searching skills are awful (very possible!) or it's not very well documented.
Reply 51

GENERALLY, though,

Do you mean that the tests prep books will get me through the subject tests?
The whole Major/Minor thing appeals to me, it allows you to broaden your knowledge so much, I just have to get in now!:eek:

Not really sure about my chances, but hey, if you don't apply you will never get it :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by NYU2012
Yes, this is a good start, but you could end up with rejections from all of them. All of these are in the US top 15 and there's no guarantee of an admissions to any of them. Either you need to select some schools lower ranked as well, or apply to UK schools through UCAS as well.

I'm aware of how these are all top schools, however my worry is that if I go to a less know school in the USA, then it will both be more expensive than a UK degree and also less known, because even if I ended up going to, say Manchester, the entry grades are lower for economics but it is still a well known university in the UK, whereas if I go to a less known uni in the USA then employers will not have heard of it.
Are there any famous universities in the USA that are easier to get into?
Reply 53
Original post by NYU2012
UK employers will be aware of the top US universities, easily those that ranked within the top 35.

Of course, as you move down in ranking, need-based financial aid decreases, though merit scholarships begin to appear. For example, with good scores and a generally strong application, you could get a full-ride or near full-ride to NYU. And, NYU has no problem with name recognition, being moved up to #20 in the Times World Reputation Rankings.

This is a good resource: http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities?int=994d08

With universities ranked #21-#35 carry a decent amount of international reputation, with the larger research universities obviously being more well known, but most universities in the top 50 will have some name recognition.

However, with UK tuition as low as it is, I would highly recommend attending a UK university over a US university unless the US university is much more prestigious.

I thought that NYU gave out very little aid? And I feel that going to the US would be both an adventure and a way of widening my possibilities. If I don't get into the USA for undergraduate study, then my aim would be to do some postgraduate study there.
Original post by NYU2012
UK employers will be aware of the top US universities, easily those that ranked within the top 35.

Of course, as you move down in ranking, need-based financial aid decreases, though merit scholarships begin to appear. For example, with good scores and a generally strong application, you could get a full-ride or near full-ride to NYU. And, NYU has no problem with name recognition, being moved up to #20 in the Times World Reputation Rankings.

This is a good resource: http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities?int=994d08

With universities ranked #21-#35 carry a decent amount of international reputation, with the larger research universities obviously being more well known, but most universities in the top 50 will have some name recognition.

However, with UK tuition as low as it is, I would highly recommend attending a UK university over a US university unless the US university is much more prestigious.

And also http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-liberal-arts-colleges ! :smile:
Original post by NYU2012
LACs won't have the same international name recognition that research universities will though - something an international student who plans on returning to the UK needs to be aware of.

I'm sure the employers will know at least Amherst, Williams and a few others if they know many of the research universities beyond the top 10-15, though?
Original post by NYU2012
It largely depends on the employer. UK employers will potentially have never come across anyone from outside the top three LACs (Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore). Durham, a relatively large university, is virtually unknown to Americans. What makes you think a UK employer would know of Haverford?

If they're recruiting ex-US undegraduates commonly and they've heard of the top 30 or so research universities I'd expect they'd also know of at least the top 5 or so LACs
Reply 57
What are the benefits of going to an LAC over a normal college?
Original post by jakepds
What are the benefits of going to an LAC over a normal college?

More focused on undergraduates , more personal time spent with your lecturers, a tight-knit community where you'll be able to recognize and mesh with most of your fellow classmates. Etc. Etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Original post by Princepieman
More focused on undergraduates , more personal time spent with your lecturers, a tight-knit community where you'll be able to recognize and mesh with most of your fellow classmates. Etc. Etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand that this would be beneficial because of the quality of the education, but if you got an offer from the best Liberal Arts College, or the best college in the USA, which one would you choose and why?
Also what is the application process for an LAC, and are they as hard to get into as the best colleges?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending