The Student Room Group

The supposed 'Alpha' and 'Beta' male distinction

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Borgia
Well, this friend of mine is rather shy and never had many female friends. He has since blossomed into a polite young man and when you add a Cambridge degree and doctors salary, he will not have much problem finding a decent looking woman.

The other guy is very confident. Always has been always will be. Doesn't change the fact that he will have to check his bank balance to see if he can take a girl to Frankie and Bennys

I believe that's called buying yourself the power(i.e. status amongst other men)...Very similar to women undergoing plastic surgery or even attaining advanced makeup skills(think contouring and such).
The basic principle however,is that women prefer the males that dictate over other males(kind of like men prefer beautiful women over ugly ones)....
Surely you don't actually believe that your average "nerdy polite" guy would be able to hold on to his girlfriend(on a basic attraction level at least) should she ever take notice of the fear in his eyes in the event of a confrontation with a stronger bigger non-nerdy male....right?You don't actually think she'll still "want" him after saaaay he got beat up in front of her....right?
Original post by MAINE.

edit: how the f do we embed photos now?

Ive stated them quite clearly when I quoted you previously. Scroll up have a read. Actually have some grounding about yourself and absorb the information. It will do you good as choosing to reply with sarcastic comments demonstrates your character.

Weak. Unable to communicate ones views due to a lack of grounding.
Reply 42
Original post by P357
I believe that's called buying yourself the power(i.e. status amongst other men)...Very similar to women undergoing plastic surgery or even attaining advanced makeup skills(think contouring and such).
The basic principle however,is that women prefer the males that dictate over other males(kind of like men prefer beautiful women over ugly ones)....
Surely you don't actually believe that your average "nerdy polite" guy would be able to hold on to his girlfriend(on a basic attraction level at least) should she ever take notice of the fear in his eyes in the event of a confrontation with a stronger bigger non-nerdy male....right?You don't actually think she'll still "want" him after saaaay he got beat up in front of her....right?

We don't live in that sort of society though. Violence isn't a very useful currency
Reply 43
Original post by Borgia
We don't live in that sort of society though. Violence isn't a very useful currency

Society(/cultural norms) has (/have)nothing to do with biological hard-wiring. Men are hard-wired to prefer beautiful/youthful/etc women...Women are hard-wired to prefer men who can dominate other men(through whatever means necessary)...
From what I've seen the people that use "alpha" and "beta" like this have no clue what they actually mean. Typically alpha is being portrayed as someone whose confident with women (although seems to mainly come across as a douchebag) but an Alpha male is someone who can get other males to do what he wants. In other animals the alpha gets greater access to females because he's keeping the other males away, not because he's won the female over.

In the same fasion were Beta is portrayed as week or submissive, is shy or atleast not in your face with regard to women. Beta males in the animal kingdom are typically making a concerted effort to be alpha males as they're just one rung down in the heirarchy (and usually have a significant chance of being successful).
Reply 45
Original post by P357
Society(/cultural norms) has (/have)nothing to do with biological hard-wiring. Men are hard-wired to prefer beautiful/youthful/etc women...Women are hard-wired to prefer men who can dominate other men(through whatever means necessary)...

Yes and finances are the means of domination.
i wasn't aware that anybody used the terms in a non ironic way.
Original post by AlexJWise
If somebody isn't as confident as another person, does that make them inferior?

well
yes

confidence is a positive trait.
in on riku dupe thread?
Reply 49
Original post by Borgia
Yes and finances are the means of domination.

To some extent(I suppose as long as said nerdy stemer manages to hold himself from any other kind of confrontation with other males that does not involve him being...you know...his nerdy-self)...

The point of this thread however is that the whole "alpha-beta thing" is actually very well grounded into the actual world...The irony was that you involved yourself into it by arguing that it wasn't legitimate and used the fact that the current social makeup allows *some weaker males to artificially buy themselves the status as proof...You kind of proved it right,to an extent...
Original post by Reue
What happens when a short person is also rich and confident?

Or a good looking muscular guy is unconfident and can't talk to girls? :rolleyes:

I was talking in general. If a guy is short, then he needs to be very, VERY rich in order to compensate for his lack of height. He can easily buy women, but only if he is rich.

Good looking muscular guy would have some degree of success with girls because girls do go for looks and muscles, but he would struggle a little bit because he can't talk to girls like you mentioned. But if he was quite rich, it would be very easy for him again to buy women. You see what I mean? It's about taking everything into account, somethings can make up for a lack of other traits or abilities. Main thing is money, because all women can be bought, all women have a price. Some girls are worth a few drinks at a bar, others are worth an expensive car, and some others will only settle for a man who can provide them with a house, car, and financial security for the rest of their lives.
Reply 51
Original post by Juicy J
because all women can be bought, all women have a price. Some girls are worth a few drinks at a bar, others are worth an expensive car, and some others will only settle for a man who can provide them with a house, car, and financial security for the rest of their lives.

I suspect you're going for the wrong type of woman then my friend.
Reply 52
Original post by P357
The point of this thread however is that the whole "alpha-beta thing" is actually very well grounded into the actual world...The irony was that you involved yourself into it by arguing that it wasn't legitimate and used the fact that the current social makeup allows *some weaker males to artificially buy themselves the status as proof...You kind of proved it right,to an extent...

Sorry, but that's not the point of this thread.
Reply 53
Original post by I Bleed
Sorry, but that's not the point of this thread.

Well you did ask if the "alpha-beta" whatever thing is coherent as a theory and applicable to a wider range of men...no?
I specifically replied for the sake of the "there's no such thing as alpha-beta it's personality that matters"-gang
Reply 54
Original post by P357
To some extent(I suppose as long as said nerdy stemer manages to hold himself from any other kind of confrontation with other males that does not involve him being...you know...his nerdy-self)...

It doesn't. Alpha and Beta only functions in an environment when the strongest male gets all the females, which in a monogamous society isn't the case.

You are also wrong in thinking that physical strength and size are the key factors required to thrive, and that modern society is some sort of blip in the course of natural selection. They aren't. It is and always has been adaptability and ruthlessness. Every single species that has survived thus far has had to out think and out adapt the others. Why do you think that the human race, which itself is physically very frail, is the most successful predator on the planet?

Ability to adapt to any given scenario is the key to success in EVERYTHING.
Original post by I Bleed
So, after browsing through several threads, i've come across a somewhat simplistic method of defining men of either being an 'alpha' or 'beta'.

One of the main points, as it appears, seems to be that an 'alpha' will be confident despite any sort of complexities belonging to the state of the relationship between male and female (the distinction between 'alpha' and beta' doesn't seem to be any clearer as it comes to same-sex relationships). The reverse of that has also been speculated to be a defining feature of 'beta'.

What are your thoughts on this 'alpha' and 'beta' distinction?

Is it coherent and can it adequately satisfy the characteristics of men into two camps?

Or are those who endorse that distinction, male and female, relying on a less sophisticated account of people in regards to romantic relationships?

In terms of the alpha-beta distinction then actually i do tend to think that you could broadly split people into two camps (though of course there are plenty in both groups who are nice people and plenty who are cocks) however i find on TSR that the distinction is often most used in the fitness forum where they apply somewhat shallow traits to it in painting all 'lifters' as alpha when the reality is that there are a multitude of meatheads who are complete sheep, insecure and in terms of leadership, i'd not follow them across the road let alone in general. This means that often the definition is flawed.
Reply 56
Original post by Sam Walters
Ive stated them quite clearly when I quoted you previously. Scroll up have a read. Actually have some grounding about yourself and absorb the information. It will do you good as choosing to reply with sarcastic comments demonstrates your character.

Weak. Unable to communicate ones views due to a lack of grounding.

:lol:

I wasnt asking what it means...I was wondering why you were spuouting such utter drivel
Original post by Juicy J
Alpha males are better looking, richer, taller, more muscular, more confident, can easily talk to girls and seduce them, they get sex very easily and never have trouble finding a girl.

Beta males are shorter, less attractive, (skinny /or fat), poorer, they're shy, can't talk to girls, they're afraid of girls and they don't get sex and they end up becoming frustrated and alone.

Damn, does making up definitions to words to suit your own ideals make you think you're smarter?
Original post by MAINE.
:lol:

I wasnt asking what it means...I was wondering why you were spuouting such utter drivel

This is what I expect from someone with no humility. Have fun in your warped perception perception of the world that you use as a defense for your inadequacies.

In other words. Carry on with societies perception of being "Alpha".
Reply 59
Original post by Borgia
It doesn't. Alpha and Beta only functions in an environment when the strongest male gets all the females, which in a monogamous society isn't the case.

You are also wrong in thinking that physical strength and size are the key factors required to thrive, and that modern society is some sort of blip in the course of natural selection. They aren't. It is and always has been adaptability and ruthlessness. Every single species that has survived thus far has had to out think and out adapt the others. Why do you think that the human race, which itself is physically very frail, is the most successful predator on the planet?

Ability to adapt to any given scenario is the key to success in EVERYTHING.

Not necessarily...There's no such thing as "the ultimate" strongest male...They can usually be classified into categories on a full hierarchical spectrum.The idea that the physically more advantaged male would want to breed with all the females isn't solid really-passing on your genes and ensuring off-spring survival wouldn't really be successful if that were the case and really the ultimate point is to ensure the survival of your genetic progeny. Monogamous societies whereby close to ALL men get to breed is a 21st century phenomena(not a good one either). In the older days the percentage had been much closer 40 or 50...

I actually argued that the key factors required to thrive are the ones that can ensure that said male can dominate over other males( epso-facto implying a leader vs follower system) that will ensure he gets to pass on his genes...Most species will have the males competing to dominate one another in order to get that advantage and breed with the best female...

Surely though you'd suppose that men would want the ultimate estrogen-laden female(the caring softer types) and women would want the ultimate testosterone-laden male(the strong aggressive driven ones)....you still haven't answered my question though-do you believe that a girl's sexual desire for her boyfriend will stay the same after she'd seen him get beat up?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending