The Student Room Group

The supposed 'Alpha' and 'Beta' male distinction

Scroll to see replies

Original post by P357
Not necessarily...There's no such thing as "the ultimate" strongest male...They can usually be classified into categories on a full hierarchical spectrum.The idea that the physically more advantaged male would want to breed with all the females isn't solid really-passing on your genes and ensuring off-spring survival wouldn't really be successful if that were the case and really the ultimate point is to ensure the survival of your genetic progeny. Monogamous societies whereby close to ALL men get to breed is a 21st century phenomena(not a good one either). In the older days the percentage had been much closer 40 or 50...

I actually argued that the key factors required to thrive are the ones that can ensure that said male can dominate over other males( epso-facto implying a leader vs follower system) that will ensure he gets to pass on his genes...Most species will have the males competing to dominate one another in order to get that advantage and breed with the best female...

Surely though you'd suppose that men would want the ultimate estrogen-laden female(the caring softer types) and women would want the ultimate testosterone-laden male(the strong aggressive driven ones)....you still haven't answered my question though-do you believe that a girl's sexual desire for her boyfriend will stay the same after she'd seen him get beat up?

Evidence of this?
Reply 61
Original post by Rakas21
Evidence of this?

Read some articles on this ages ago that I can't find right now but here's google XD

"Citing recent DNA research, Dr. Baumeister explained that today's human population is descended from twice as many women as men. Maybe 80 percent of women reproduced, whereas only 40 percent of men did."

​There's definitely a case to be made that wars/harsh conditions/disease/etc ensured that only the strongest got to breed.
Original post by P357
Read some articles on this ages ago that I can't find right now but here's google XD

"Citing recent DNA research, Dr. Baumeister explained that today's human population is descended from twice as many women as men. Maybe 80 percent of women reproduced, whereas only 40 percent of men did."

​There's definitely a case to be made that wars/harsh conditions/disease/etc ensured that only the strongest got to breed.

Sure. Historically I'm sure that was true but probably not for a good millenia since men were either dead, men of commerce or soldiers, the later two in civilizations that did not grant women power would have had no problem.
Reply 63
Original post by Rakas21
Sure. Historically I'm sure that was true but probably not for a good millenia since men were either dead, men of commerce or soldiers, the later two in civilizations that did not grant women power would have had no problem.

well granted,but what was the life expectancy of your average european male(let's say)?Wars and diseases and rampant poverty all taken into account? I suppose it might've been less about the womans wish to choose and more about the fact that many of the "less-able" males simply didn't make it to that stage
Reply 64
Original post by P357
I believe that's called buying yourself the power(i.e. status amongst other men)...Very similar to women undergoing plastic surgery or even attaining advanced makeup skills(think contouring and such).
The basic principle however,is that women prefer the males that dictate over other males(kind of like men prefer beautiful women over ugly ones)....
Surely you don't actually believe that your average "nerdy polite" guy would be able to hold on to his girlfriend(on a basic attraction level at least) should she ever take notice of the fear in his eyes in the event of a confrontation with a stronger bigger non-nerdy male....right?You don't actually think she'll still "want" him after saaaay he got beat up in front of her....right?

So your argument suggests “that women prefer the males that dictate over other males(kind of like men prefer beautiful women over ugly ones)”
But I find it hard to see the similarity between a male dictating another male and a male choosing a beautiful women over an ugly one. I’m not sure the idea of dictating here is clear. Which brings me to question what do you mean by ‘males that dictate over other males’? I can think of a man that has dictated over many males and many females for that matter as well, for instance Hitler was one hell of a dictator, yet the dictator has not passed on his genes.

Also, in regards to your example of the “nerdy polite” guy, it’s possible that in this day and age, the girlfriend of the “nerdy polite” guy will still be with him after being beat up in front of her. There’s good reason to doubt that the girlfriend be running away from the nerdy polite guy because there are girls out there who do not perceive violence as an attractive quality, and that is rightly so.

Original post by P357
Society(/cultural norms) has (/have)nothing to do with biological hard-wiring. Men are hard-wired to prefer beautiful/youthful/etc women...Women are hard-wired to prefer men who can dominate other men(through whatever means necessary)...

I believe that we should be careful in quantifying all men to be hardwired in a certain particular way, likewise with women. Some men prefer older women, and even then, some men prefer men I suppose those men who do prefer men are hardwired that way? How would you then determine the alpha-beta distinction with men that prefer men? I personally think that this distinction cannot be applied here and is not satisfactory.

Original post by P357
To some extent(I suppose as long as said nerdy stemer manages to hold himself from any other kind of confrontation with other males that does not involve him being...you know...his nerdy-self)...

The point of this thread however is that the whole "alpha-beta thing" is actually very well grounded into the actual world...The irony was that you involved yourself into it by arguing that it wasn't legitimate and used the fact that the current social makeup allows *some weaker males to artificially buy themselves the status as proof...You kind of proved it right,to an extent...

The point of this thread was to see if there were any appealing arguments for the alpha-beta distinction, and I don’t think the point of this thread was to show that the alpha-beta thing is actually a real thing, such things could hardly be called a law of nature or have any real substance as belonging to the world.

Original post by P357
Monogamous societies whereby close to ALL men get to breed is a 21st century phenomena(not a good one either). In the older days the percentage had been much closer 40 or 50...

I actually argued that the key factors required to thrive are the ones that can ensure that said male can dominate over other males( epso-facto implying a leader vs follower system) that will ensure he gets to pass on his genes...Most species will have the males competing to dominate one another in order to get that advantage and breed with the best female...

Surely though you'd suppose that men would want the ultimate estrogen-laden female(the caring softer types) and women would want the ultimate testosterone-laden male(the strong aggressive driven ones)....you still haven't answered my question though-do you believe that a girl's sexual desire for her boyfriend will stay the same after she'd seen him get beat up?

Why is it not a good phenomenon that ALL men get to breed?
I’d like to think that all men have the right to breed, but if you were to suggest that it’s not a good idea that all men get to breed and only some should, then you’ll be denying the rights of those men and for what reason?

said male can dominate over other males( epso-facto implying a leader vs follower system) that will ensure he gets to pass on his genes...Most species…”

I think it can be said here that it is not a necessary or even a sufficient condition for a male to ‘dominate’ over other males to ensure that he gets to pass on his genes. Maybe we’re living in a society whereby domination over other males isn’t rewarding, and if it is, the cliché good girl & bad boy come to mind.

“do you believe that a girl's sexual desire for her boyfriend will stay the same after she'd seen him get beat up?”

It’s perfectly conceivable and possible that the girl’s sexual desire will remain the same or fluctuate, as is the nature of sexual desires.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by Sam Walters
This is what I expect from someone with no humility. Have fun in your warped perception perception of the world that you use as a defense for your inadequacies.

In other words. Carry on with societies perception of being "Alpha".

Why would I waste my time developing unnecessary qualities like humility?
Original post by MAINE.
Why would I waste my any of my time developing unnecessary qualities like humility?

Do you want to be truly alpha? Or young societies skewed view of what alpha is, Essentially beta?
Reply 67
Do you want to be truly alpha? Or young societies skewed view of what alpha is, Essentially beta?

oh, because you're obviously the authority on what it means to be alpha :rolleyes:
Original post by I Bleed
So, after browsing through several threads, i've come across a somewhat simplistic method of defining men of either being an 'alpha' or 'beta'.

One of the main points, as it appears, seems to be that an 'alpha' will be confident despite any sort of complexities belonging to the state of the relationship between male and female (the distinction between 'alpha' and beta' doesn't seem to be any clearer as it comes to same-sex relationships). The reverse of that has also been speculated to be a defining feature of 'beta'.

What are your thoughts on this 'alpha' and 'beta' distinction?

Is it coherent and can it adequately satisfy the characteristics of men into two camps?

Or are those who endorse that distinction, male and female, relying on a less sophisticated account of people in regards to romantic relationships?

Its a load of *******s. It doesn't even happen in wolves, let alone humans.
Original post by MAINE.
oh, because you're obviously the authority on what it means to be alpha :rolleyes:

Combat instructor. Doesn't get more classically alpha then that. Not that I would class myself under one of the labels. I am grounded. Much better description.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 70
Combat instructor. Doesn't get more classically alpha then that. Not that I would class myself under one of the labels. I am grounded. Much better description.

good job brah, hope your parents are proud of you
Original post by MAINE.
good job brah, hope your parents are proud of you

You're outclassed here chap. Just take it on the chin. But oh wait, that's not something you can do as it would lower your "value" and make you less "alpha".

Anyway. I'm done with you. You are not worthy of my time.
Not sure where I'd fit in that dichotomy. Im a bit of a lone wolf; I dont make much effort with birds, but am contemplating getting in to crime (a stereotypically alpha male field).
Reply 73
Original post by Juicy J
Alpha males are better looking, richer, taller, more muscular, more confident, can easily talk to girls and seduce them, they get sex very easily and never have trouble finding a girl.

Beta males are shorter, less attractive, (skinny /or fat), poorer, they're shy, can't talk to girls, they're afraid of girls and they don't get sex and they end up becoming frustrated and alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What advice would you give a 'beta male' like me?:frown:
Original post by ubi1
What advice would you give a 'beta male' like me?:frown:

hi

a beta male needs to become rich, get handsome and become tall and become muscular. thats how you do it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending