The Student Room Group

Foundation year for medicine?

I am currently in sixth form studying English Lit, English Language, Media and Geography, but recently have been thinking about a career in medicine, and obviously I didn't think it through and I am not taking any of the right A-levels. Is a foundation year good? I didn't really like science in GCSE, but was pretty good at it (I got two A's and a B), but would really love to become a doctor, but is it worth it?
What's making you want to be a doctor? If you haven't done any yet, then it is really worth you getting some work experience shadowing a doctor, so that you can get a better idea of what the role actually involves. When you say that you didn't like science, again what do you mean by that? You do realise that the medicine degree contains a lot os science, particularly in the first couple of preclinical years - and presumably, the foundation year will cover much of the A-level science.

Personally, I think being a doctor is worth it, I love my job. The hours are long and I work a lot of unsociable hours (nights / weekends). There is a lot of moving around as a junior doctor - changing hospitals every 4-6 months, sometimes having to change region. Postgraduate exams to do. But I get a lot of job satisfaction, my job is interesting and varied.
Reply 2
IF you want to be a doctor then there isn't anything in the world that will stop you. It is a lifestyle choice not a career choice and if you abandon it when your young you may wonder when you older.. what if..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending