The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

There's nothing to stop you re-applying once you are at uni, in much the same way as you can take a gap year and re-apply (i think)... however, trust me... if you have a top place, you don't want to mess them around as a gamble.
Reply 21
It does seem that students who are a little bit older tend to be more focused on their studies, which helps with a law degree, because so much time is (should!) be spent on independent reading, rather than directed classes. It requires good time management skills - sometimes, the reading for a particular seminar might take you a whole day if you do it properly (that includes reading cases in full, as well as any secondary sources in addition to the main textbook), which means you can't do it the morning before and still be fully prepared. Students on 4-year law programmes (with a year abroad, or on placement) tend to be more focused in their final year than students on 3-year programmes (which is a generalisation and there are exceptions both ways, of course - but on balance, this seems to be the case).
That might explain why law tends to be post-grad in the US, for example.
I'm going to cite an example of people being more focused after a year abroad (although this may be because Notts only sends people with fairly good records abroad...): last year there were 6 firsts, 5 of whom were on the year abroad... this says alot I feel for the level of commitment they show, and how much difference an extra year makes. I have been told repeatadly that traditionally students who come back off a year abroad always do better in final year, here's hoping so! This year is certainly working me hard and making me understand stuff more than at home!
^ Or, only the best people get to go on the year abroad and so these people should be expected to do better.

Sorry, devil's advocate moment.
You would think so, but I know numerous people on the year abroad with 2:2s, when they rejected 2:1 people... confusing.

Latest

Trending

Trending