The Student Room Group

Why Do People Hate BMW Drivers?

I had my BMW for a while now, and before I bought it, I was hearing things like BMW drivers are p****, idiots etc. I thought it was a just a generalist untrue statement like when people say for example black guys are criminals, yes there are a lot of black criminals but there are also many successful and law abiding, for example some of the students in my uni are black and are wonderful people.

Firstly I should explain why I chose BMW. They have 50-50 weight distribution, unlike Audi for example, while mid/rear weight is perfect like Ferrari's, BMW's 50-50 is pretty amazing for a front engine'd car. Its rear wheel drive, which is perfect for handling, legal street racing and legal drifting. The car is so planted. BMWs also are generally high revving and deliver power higher in the rev range, which makes the car perform exceptionally at high revs and high speeds. Its also very practical.

I constantly notice people not letting me out, trying to not let me in when I join motorways, just general all around disrespect.

I searched google and found shocking things, for e.g.

Best Answer: i drive 40, 000 miles a year . out of all the tossers i see out on the road that carve up other drivers ,speed , tailgate , never say thank you , and always on the mobile in there hand its bmw 3 series drivers. . point to other motorist is not a jealous think about there car , have a decent company car and my own car is a 9.3 convertible .

they are just plain *** holes on the road . mind most are now trading in for a4 Audi's .

not 6 thumbs down ,must be bmw votes . also just a note got run off the road today . bmw 3 series driver . on the phone ovetaking did not see me .apparanty it was my fault for driving correctly and waiting in the correct box to turn right on a junction . hope he gets a 12 month ban

But recently I realised the actual problem, its not BMW drivers, its everyone else who are the crap drives on the road.

On motorways, its a very simple concept and rule, keep left unless overtaking. You get these idiots sitting in middle and the far right (my) lane, NOT overtaking. It absolutely infuriates when I have to wait behind a car when there is no traffic in front of him and he is not overtaking. Why is this happening?

I dont want to patronise anyone here but the concept of traffic and flow is not just theorised with cars but with everything, electricity, water, pedestrians - the traffic at the front must be moving a fast constant speed in order to free up traffic in the middle section. Why don't these idiot lane hoggers realise this?

On my commute to uni I regularly meet these idiots occupying the wrong lane at the wrong speed for large amounts of time. At times I need to undertake to get past them, but if theres no space on the left, I go closer to them to put pressure on them, flash them, horn at them - a lot of the times they move out the way, but a lot of times they start swearing at me and try to start fights. I dont understand if they wern't driving crap and wrongly holding traffic up on the right most lane, they would'nt get that sort of treatment from me.

And jealousy has nothing to do with it. BMW is an average or round about average car (well definitely the lower models), Audi's cost almost the same as BMWs now, and there are car ranges far more expensive than BMW like Porshce for example.

But throughout my driving experience in motorways, I have noticed one thing - when you are behind a BMW driver and you are coming faster than him, most BM drivers kindly move out of the way, so I have found the BMW drivers are actually the best on the road because they actually understand how a motorway is supposed to work.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by konvictz0007
I had my BMW for a while now, and before I bought it, I was hearing things like BMW drivers are p****, idiots etc. I thought it was a just a generalist untrue statement like when people say for example black guys are criminals, yes there are a lot of black criminals but there are also many successful and law abiding, for example some of the students in my uni are black and are wonderful people.

Firstly I should explain why I chose BMW. They have 50-50 weight distribution, unlike Audi for example, while mid/rear weight is perfect like Ferrari's, BMW's 50-50 is pretty amazing for a front engine'd car. Its rear wheel drive, which is perfect for handling, legal street racing and legal drifting. The car is so planted. BMWs also are generally high revving and deliver power higher in the rev range, which makes the car perform exceptionally at high revs and high speeds. Its also very practical.

I constantly notice people not letting me out, trying to not let me in when I join motorways, just general all around disrespect.

But recently I realised the actual problem, its not BMW drivers, its everyone else who are the crap drives on the road.

On motorways, its a very simple concept and rule, keep left unless overtaking. You get these idiots sitting in middle and the far right (my) lane, NOT overtaking. It absolutely infuriates when I have to wait behind a car when there is no traffic in front of him and he is not overtaking. Why is this happening?

I dont want to patronise anyone here but the concept of traffic and flow is not just theorised with cars but with everything, electricity, water, pedestrians - the traffic at the front must be moving a fast constant speed in order to free up traffic in the middle section. Why don't these idiot lane hoggers realise this?

On my commute to uni I regularly meet these idiots occupying the wrong lane at the wrong speed for large amounts of time. At times I need to undertake to get past them, but if theres no space on the left, I go closer to them to put pressure on them, flash them, horn at them - a lot of the times they move out the way, but a lot of times they start swearing at me and try to start fights. I dont understand if they wern't driving crap and wrongly holding traffic up on the right most lane, they would'nt get that sort of treatment from me.

And jealousy has nothing to do with it. BMW is an average or round about average car (well definitely the lower models), Audi's cost almost the same as BMWs now, and there are car ranges far more expensive than BMW like Porshce for example.

But throughout my driving experience in motorways, I have noticed one thing - when you are behind a BMW driver and you are coming faster than him, most BM drivers kindly move out of the way, so I have found the BMW drivers are actually the best on the road because they actually understand how a motorway is supposed to work.

Well, I will be a BMW driver in a matter of weeks (got a new M6 Gran Coupe on order :biggrin:) and I think it's ok to show a real sense of urgency on the road if you've got a car with some genuine power. However, those who do that in a 320d or something seem quite strange to me. This may well explain why some BMW drivers are frowned upon, since it would appear that they're punching well above their weight.
Original post by konvictz0007

I contribute to the reason for this reputation. I have no patience for incompetence. If someone's hogging a lane for no reason, I'm going to undertake. If someone's just milling about at the speed limit, I'm going to overtake. If someone cuts me off, I'll get in a position to test their brakes. My BMW just makes all the above very easy.

I speed, I tailgate, I go ape**** at people for tiny mistakes. I know I'm an ass but people need to learn to drive - especially lane discipline on the motorway.

And before someone says I'm the reason for high premiums for young people - I've never made a claim or had one made against me, any effect I have on the premium is most likely positive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
cos people r jealous they cant afford the models at the top end of the bmw range. bmw stands for black, mean and wealthy

Posted from TSR Mobile
You get idiot drivers for every brand of cars.

I had a Hyundai driver flagging me off when I turned left at a roundabout while he went straight in because I had been going the speed limit for the duration he was following me.

I also have had a vauxhall driver stay on the other side of mid way points for pedestrians (really can't recall the name, dare say you know what I mean) as I was slowing down coming into a 30 limit, he must have been going at least 70, just as well it was 6:30am and traffic was light and no pedestrians around.

The other night I was going 60mph in a 60 limit and a BMW driver blasted past me, probably going about 80.

It's not just BMW drivers people hate, people hate drivers who have no respect for other drivers on the road, I always think if you have to be somewhere for x time, leave earlier not leave later and speed and use it as an excuse.
Original post by live_a_life
I contribute to the reason for this reputation. I have no patience for incompetence. If someone's hogging a lane for no reason, I'm going to undertake. If someone's just milling about at the speed limit, I'm going to overtake. If someone cuts me off, I'll get in a position to test their brakes. My BMW just makes all the above very easy.

I speed, I tailgate, I go ape**** at people for tiny mistakes. I know I'm an ass but people need to learn to drive - especially lane discipline on the motorway.

And before someone says I'm the reason for high premiums for young people - I've never made a claim or had one made against me, any effect I have on the premium is most likely positive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just because you haven't had to claim or had a claim made against you doesn't stop you from sounding an absolute nightmare on the roads. Just out of interest why do you think speed limits are there?

Keep doing that, and one day you're going to get thumped.
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Keep doing that, and one day you're going to get thumped.

People have tried but I've been fortunate enough to destroy every one that's asked me to pull over. I'm not boasting, I've just been fortunate :smile: since my ego won't stop me from fighting someone who could easily own me.

I never understand people who ask others to pull over for a fight when they don't even know how to fight themselves. I certainly wouldn't if I didn't have my 10+ years experience in martial arts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Robbo-92
Just because you haven't had to claim or had a claim made against you doesn't stop you from sounding an absolute nightmare on the roads. Just out of interest why do you think speed limits are there?

A nightmare? Really? Because it's such a delight to deal with lane hoggers every day.

I don't really care why they're there, I honestly ignore them when they're 50 or over. What I care about it why that ****head is in front of me when he has space to the left.

I've got into arguments like this too many times on TSR...

Posted from TSR Mobile
A nightmare? Really? Because it's such a delight to deal with lane hoggers every day.

I don't really care why they're there, I honestly ignore them when they're 50 or over. What I care about it why that ****head is in front of me when he has space to the left.

I've got into arguments like this too many times on TSR...

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's fully down to lane discipline which I agree with you on, people should drive in the left hand lane (as I dare say you do as well :tongue:) unless overtaking.

But I was calling you a nightmare because you seem to enjoy tail gating and speeding, both of which I detest.
That's fully down to lane discipline which I agree with you on, people should drive in the left hand lane (as I dare say you do as well :tongue:) unless overtaking.

But I was calling you a nightmare because you seem to enjoy tail gating and speeding, both of which I detest.

Tailgating is really stupid but once again, that's done to lane hoggers. I either undertake them, or tailgate them depending on my mood.

I can't defend the speeding at all - I do enjoy it.
Tailgating is really stupid but once again, that's done to lane hoggers. I either undertake them, or tailgate them depending on my mood.

I can't defend the speeding at all - I do enjoy it.

Then get yourself to a track day, there you can speed in a much more controlled environment alongside fellow drivers who enjoy speed, this way you won't annoy any other motorists who obey every rule of the road :tongue:
Then get yourself to a track day, there you can speed in a much more controlled environment alongside fellow drivers who enjoy speed, this way you won't annoy any other motorists who obey every rule of the road :tongue:

Don't know if a track day will get this habit out of me. I need to get caught ffs.
Don't know if a track day will get this habit out of me. I need to get caught ffs.

Well if you keep speeding you'll get caught sooner or later, pointless waiting till you get caught speeding to stop speeding though
Reply 14

Your post history says you drive a 320d, hardly a beast.
Original post by Tbx
Your post history says you drive a 320d, hardly a beast.

I know, but what's that got to do with speeding?
Reply 16
I know, but what's that got to do with speeding?

Not exactly hard to handle, I mean unless your doing 70+ in 30s etc.

I had an attitude like you in the past, but sooner or later you'll get caught out.
Original post by Tbx
Not exactly hard to handle, I mean unless your doing 70+ in 30s etc.

I had an attitude like you in the past, but sooner or later you'll get caught out.

Who said it was remotely hard to handle? A reason why I speed so much is because it's so easy to handle :smile: I've said nothing to suggest the contrary.

Been driving like this for almost 4.5 years, never even been pulled over. Sooner's looking like later.

Oh yeah, I know 4+years pales in comparison to how long others have been driving on UK public roads, but I'm only 21.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Interesting thread. BMW's are quality!!

I'm not from the UK originally and posted a thread here a while back, wondering why are so many people hogging the lanes in the UK. It is very irritating! But I understood that the reason is they don't actually teach motorway driving in driving school for your licence here?

I drive a 330ci M-sport. Never noticed people being disrespectful though, except online.
If you've been driving like that for 4.5 years you've been lucky, for actual on road driving I feel getting up to the desired speed is more enjoyable than all out speed. As i said before, speed should be used on a track :smile:

Latest