The Student Room Group

Do you have, or plan on getting, a smartwatch?

Poll

Do you have, or plan on getting, a smartwatch ?

With the Apple Watch fast approaching and more and more smartwatches from other brands hitting the market each month, I thought it would be interesting to see how much interest there is on TSR around the wearable industry :smile: Do you already own one, and what do you think of it? Are you planning to get one soon, or do you not care about them in the slightest?

For me the big sticking point is battery life- even back in the Stone Age of watches that only told the time it would be having to regularly remove a watch for work or play sport that would make me stop wearing watches, having to take it off every night to charge is a sure fire way to make me quickly get fed up with a smartwatch. Throw the battery life of a Pebble into a Moto 360 or Huawei Watch and I'd strongly consider picking one up.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Talk about antiquated. I'm surprised these devices still sell.
Not unless I get a freebie from work. I like having a normal watch tbh and my pocket is hardly an excessive distance for my hand to travel to access my phone.
Reply 3
I think there will be generally less interest on TSR because people on here tend to be more critical. The general population on the other hand.. If Apple brought out iFeces the public would still gobble it up.
Reply 4
I think they look really cool personally. Haven't got around to getting one yet though because of their price and because they're so new... Going to give it a few years and see what happens with their development

Would definitely consider the Apple Watch (or iWatch, whatever they called it) but being an Android person is of little use to me
I'm not looking to buy one anytime soon until theres actually more useful apps on them, I have had the original samsung gear and the samsung gear 2 both were waste of money as they have very limited functions so not worth the high price tag ( nevertheless they still look cool and they actually bring a lot of attention ;p).
However because a lot of companies are making smart watches now like apple,lg,sony , motorola , samsung, huawei and asus .... they should be more choice in apps in another year or 2, so I'm not writing them off totally yet
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
The route smart watches are taking might be a dead end as battery technology isn't really good enough to support the functionality. The 1 day battery life is a seriouse problem in a watch, watch owners are used to replacing the battery once every few years or never(in the case of citizen eco-drive, automatics)

I think the colour pebble with its 1week battery looks more promising as a mainstream smart watch. I can see smart watches eventually replacing quartz watches - people will wear smart watches for the extra functionality and phone integration but will still want a traditional jewellery watch.

I have a Pebble and would buy an Apple watch if I had an IPhone.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm not too sure personally, I can see the perks, even if they are somewhat dubious imo, but given I already have a nice watch that will almost certainly last decades, and given that there will probably be some other wearable tech come along that works better with a conventional watch I probably won't. However, I can think of some circumstances in which I would, for example if I would be spending long times where I would rather not wear my current watch for one reason for another, particularly if in those circumstances it would also be beneficial to have a smart watch.
I'm of the opinion that smartwatches aren't that great. Smartphones have replaced the need to have a common watch at all pretty much. I see a potential market for health and fitness sure but outside of that, they cross over too much with smartphones. Add to that the poor battery they entail and the appeal wares off very quickly. If I am going to buy a watch, it would be an expensive one from a major brand. Android Wear is not that great and Apple Watch just feels like an extension of the iPhone and nothing else.
Reply 9
At least with an iPhone people don't know you're a douche before you get it out your pocket.

With an iWatch people can see you're a dick just by looking at your wrist.
Reply 10
Recharging mine once a day just isn't that big an issue, to be honest. I take it off when I go to bed, and drop it into a charging cradle. I don't think it's as important as is being made out.
I have absolutely no interest in them at this time.
The point of a watch is being able to know the time and, on digital watches, a stopwatch and date is also preferable. I don't need a watch that pretty much requires a phone to be within 1m of it for some "features" such as weather, phone calls and notifications. I can look at my phone for the same experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SkyJP
The point of a watch is being able to know the time and, on digital watches, a stopwatch and date is also preferable. I don't need a watch that pretty much requires a phone to be within 1m of it for some "features" such as weather, phone calls and notifications. I can look at my phone for the same experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Clearly you've never seen a decent analogue watch if you think all they do is tell the time :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by SkyJP
The point of a watch is being able to know the time and, on digital watches, a stopwatch and date is also preferable. I don't need a watch that pretty much requires a phone to be within 1m of it

"The point of the phone is to call other people and, sometimes, send and receive texts. I don't need a 'smartphone' when I spend my whole day around computers anyway".
Original post by estel
"The point of the phone is to call other people and, sometimes, send and receive texts. I don't need a 'smartphone' when I spend my whole day around computers anyway".

I actually subscribe to that sentiment more or less.
Reply 16
I don't plan on going anywhere near a smartwatch. Whilst I like my analogue watch, and indeed digital watch. I don't see the need for the smartwatch when most features mean you'll have the phone within reach anyway and also have yet another gadget to charge every night.
If they can do things like contactless payment, and maybe eventually replace keys or something like that I'd be interested. Standard things like reading an email are a bit of a joke on a watch, it will still be easier to get your phone out and read it on a decent sized screen.
Reply 18
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I actually subscribe to that sentiment more or less.

Well, to each their own. But the uses of a smartphone have definitely evolved way beyond older cellphones in the last decade; the telephony and texting is almost a secondary feature for many users. It's only a quirk of history that they're called phones at all. Maybe we should all be using our PDAs?

Original post by jameswhughes
If they can do things like contactless payment, and maybe eventually replace keys or something like that I'd be interested. Standard things like reading an email are a bit of a joke on a watch, it will still be easier to get your phone out and read it on a decent sized screen.

At the moment they're notification machines, not full email reading things. Example usecase: your phone is upstairs charging whilst you're in the kitchen preparing some food. The watch vibrates: is it that important work email that you've been waiting for all morning, or an even more important Tinder match? You glance down briefly at your wrist to see what it is: no, it's just some crap from your landlord - you can get straight back to preparing lunch, it's not worth interrupting your time for that.
Original post by estel

Most people don't spend their whole day around computers though. But they do carry their phones with them pretty much wherever they go.

Smartphone functions are useful for when you're away from your desk and probably don't have your computer to hand, or if your task is so small that it's not worth waiting for your computer to boot up. Whereas most smartwatch functions only work if you have your phone near you and switched on as well.

At the moment they're notification machines, not full email reading things. Example usecase: your phone is upstairs charging whilst you're in the kitchen preparing some food. The watch vibrates: is it that important work email that you've been waiting for all morning, or an even more important Tinder match? You glance down briefly at your wrist to see what it is: no, it's just some crap from your landlord - you can get straight back to preparing lunch, it's not worth interrupting your time for that.

Personally I wouldn't be too convinced by this. It suggests that the benefit of the watch is that it's on you at all times so you can check it whenever you want, but your phone might not be, because you need to leave it to charge sometimes. The problem is that the watch needs to be left to charge just as often, so it isn't really on you at all times.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending