The Student Room Group

Lab degree!

What is considered a 'lab degree'?

I am a mature student and want to study a science but want to use it for a job later, such as research or even nhs labs.

Would the main one be biomedical science?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1

An accredited biomedical science degree with a placement year would be the one for working as a registered biomedical scientist in an NHS lab or the NHS scientist training programme.

If you want to do life science based research, a biomedical science degree that isn't accredited would probably be your best bet as this would entail much more flexibility with regards to your options.

An accredited degree has to meet certain standards by the IBMS (Institute for Biomedical Science) in terms of course content in order to make the graduate eligible to register as a biomedical scientist after their degree (and a period of training). This means there are only limited, if any, optional modules one can take with this type of degree - it's the one I'm on as I am hoping to work in an NHS lab as long as I can secure my placement for next year!
Anything that involves working in a lab! This includes biomed, biological sciences, biochem, mol biol, etc
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
Anything that involves working in a lab! This includes biomed, biological sciences, biochem, mol biol, etc

Thank you. After a lot more researching I've found out about the biomedical science degree at my local uni which is accredited. I've been offered a place on there Human Bio degree which cover the same modules as the Biomedical students. I can then switch over to Biomedical science after level 1.

I'm' so excited.
Biomedical science

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending