The Student Room Group

UCL vs LSE philosophy and economics 2015

I know there was a thread about this in 2008, but figured that might be out of date by now.

I'm holding unconditional offers from both courses, any info useful!
In terms of the reputation of the departments/uni's there's really not enough difference for you to make a decision solely on that. (Maybe doing at econ at LSE is more enticing?) I would recommend visiting both and seeing which you prefer in terms of atmosphere and facilities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ooftar
In terms of the reputation of the departments/uni's there's really not enough difference for you to make a decision solely on that. (Maybe doing at econ at LSE is more enticing?) I would recommend visiting both and seeing which you prefer in terms of atmosphere and facilities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'm booked on the various department open days.

From what I've gleaned from the websites the economics courses are pretty similar, although of course there's the prestige attached to LSE. It's the philosophy side of things where they significantly differ, LSE's looks like it offers less choice than UCL's, not saying that's a bad thing just a factor to consider
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
I've got offers from both as well, I think I'm going to choose LSE though
I'm in the exact same position! I'm going to visit both, but I'm 85% sure I'm going to pick LSE!
I'd say both are equally prestigious, but in my experience LSE is a tad more hostile than UCL, which in comparison is a more fun and friendlier environment (with more approachable lecturers). Plus, as a Londoner I prefer UCL's location as it's a bit less cramped and touristy. But if you like the hustle and bustle of Covent Garden, I'd say LSE has a preferable location for most.
Reply 6
Just out of interest, as I plan to apply for this course next year, those with offers what did you get at AS and A2?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
AS level
A Maths
A Further Maths
A Physics
A Latin
A Greek
Alevels
A* Maths
A* Further Maths
A Greek
B Physics

Also went to uni for a year, and working for 8 months this year, actually debating whether to keep the job or not at the moment...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Philandecon
AS level
A Maths
A Further Maths
A Physics
A Latin
A Greek
Alevels
A* Maths
A* Further Maths
A Greek
B Physics

Also went to uni for a year, and working for 8 months this year, actually debating whether to keep the job or not at the moment...

Nice, Do you think it's worth me applying Phil&econ if I'm predicted A*AA in maths Econ Philosophy and a C in as geography but only got 2As and 8Bs at gcse?
Reply 9
Original post by ARSHKFW
Nice, Do you think it's worth me applying Phil&econ if I'm predicted A*AA in maths Econ Philosophy and a C in as geography but only got 2As and 8Bs at gcse?

The application depends on so much more than just GCSEs - relevant experience, a passion for the subject, a strong personal statement, and As Levels are all big factors as well. If you like the university and course then apply, just be sensible with your choices, so have some backups you really like too
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't know whether you've ever studied any philosophy before but with a subject like that which is quite abstract, trust me its good to have choice on the modules you take!
How many degrees you have?
Just curious. Are you American or British?

If American, how are you paying for your LLB?
If British, how did you pay for your PPP degree?
What do you want to work as?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending