The Student Room Group

Gross misconduct help

I need some help and opinions~

So I've been re-suspended and will be having a disciplinary meeting with the store manager sometime next week.

At first it was a investigation as to whether the allegations made against me we true, and as they are I had a meeting after that which led to me being re-suspended till the next meeting.

What happened was that I reduced item(s) which were not due to be reduced for a family member/friend, and as there were not benefits for anyone else but myself it has been classed as gross misconduct.
In my defence, there were plenty of staff in close proximity at the time who saw me, and could've easily stopped me - as I wasn't attempting to hide the fact I was reducing the item(s) - and I didn't know we weren't allowed to do so.

At the second investigatory meeting, they asked me further questions like "Why did you do it, Have you seen other members of staff doing it" and etc, but I felt compelled to say no as I felt uncomfortable and saw it as whistle-blowing.
During the interview my manager kept on pressing on if I wanted to make any further comments as if she wanted me to say something but I wasn't really catching on.

This is my first job, and the event that happened was an out of character moment, but I am entitled to be accompanied by one or by a member of staff of my choosing.
However I am not in a workers trade union, and have not told anyone of the current situation and don't feel comfortable in dragging someone in when they have no involvement.

Since the next meeting is of a disciplinary nature I read about the actions used to solve gross misconduct and they were dismissal or leniency if the employer feels that dismissal is too harsh etc.

So what would you advice me to do?
I haven't even told my mum since I feel so ashamed of myself.
Let this be a lesson in life.

Not to make you feel bad but you said that a few people could have stopped you but you must understand that just because they didn't stop you does not equal to getting consent.

Work is a funny place with many rules and regulations, as a general rule of thumb learn these when you start the job and if you are unsure you could have asked.

Strange that you never thought of asking to be honest....

Don't get yourself down over it, this is your first job so you are still green.

Take the disciplinary on the chin and learn from it.

Explain your actions and motives to them and hope for the best.
Reply 2
I know, the reason I needed the job in the first place was to help with payments at uni as I wasn't given a lot at all and it's not because my mum earns a huge amount. Since starting uni this year she hasn't been to work due to health reasons.

I only said the truth at the investigatory meetings, I'm not attempting to hide it or gloss it over.
It was a stupid thing to do which I now know.
Reply 3
You have been honest about your dishonesty.

My advice would be:

1. Don't blame anyone else. Take full responsibility for you actions.
2. Explain at the meeting that it was a silly mistake that you didn't think through or that you thought was "against the rules"
3. Reassure them that you now fully understand how serious this is and why they have taken this action.
4. Acknowledge that they may be considering dismissal, but you would love a second chance to show them what a hard worker you can be and an asset to the supermarket.
5. Explain why you want and need the job and how embarrassed you are
6. Re-enforce the message - it was my own fault, I was thoughtless, I am so embarrassed, please give me a second chance and let me prove myself to you.

Quick Reply

Latest