The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

EUSA Presidential Candidate Accused of Racism

Furious students are voicing their concern over one candidate’s bid for EUSA President after the discovery of a “horrendously racist” Facebook comment.

Faatima Ozman wrote “**** you white person” on a fellow student’s Facebook status querying: “Who is the head of the Edinburgh University Offence Brigade? I have some halloween costume ideas I’d like to run by them“.

Faatima later edited the comment to “Sound from a white person!”
And 21-year-old Ines Rattray, wrote the status in October before Halloween, thinks Faatima’s reaction shows she has no place in office: “A person who responds to being offended with swearing and racism has no place being in charge of an organisation notorious for taking offence.

Faatima Ozman is the was BME (Black and Minority Ethnic) Convenor at the time, and is now running for EUSA President.

Law first year Eleanor said of her comment: “It’s horrendously racist behaviour from someone who is running to be EUSA President, especially as the association themselves take such an anti-racist stance.
And English Literature fourth year Mawish said: “Coming from a south Asian background, I value the concerns being raised by Ms. Osman. However, responding with such a derogatory comment seems to defeat everything she says she is fighting for.”

Ines, who is half-Arab, called out Faatima for the comment, commenting with the screenshot shown above, saying: “Your first comment was much funnier (see photo). I love this idea that trying to use someone’s race as an insult is totally okay when they’re white."

Faatima has refused to apologise for her comments.

Source: http://edinburgh.tab.co.uk/2015/03/12/presidential-candidate-no-place-eusa-discovery-racist-remark/

For the record, Faatima went to a private school even though she never shuts up about white male privilege, even when speaking to state schooled students.

It also isn't the first time she's been accused of racism:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending