The Student Room Group

Wanting to change course

My friend is starting uni in September hopefully but is starting to regret his choice of course. He said he is going to see how it goes but is wondering if he doesn't like it can he apply to a different uni for a different course through ucas on his own or not? He wants to know if he would have to finish his year at uni and if he will still get student finance for the full length of his new course?
He would likely be able to change courses at the uni, he'll have 2-4 weeks to change depending on the uni. After that he would need to either finish the year and his admission to the new course within the uni would be based upon his results, or drop out and reapply. He will get the length of his course plus 1 year of student finance so yes he would be funded for the full length of the course.
Reply 2
When you say you have 2-4 weeks to change course are you able to change between say English - Law as I would like to do this but obviously entries for this year have gone and I have an unconditional place. Does it depend on UCAS points etc if you can change. I would like to change within the same uni and do not want to take a year out.

Can't find any info on this anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nerual26
When you say you have 2-4 weeks to change course are you able to change between say English - Law as I would like to do this but obviously entries for this year have gone and I have an unconditional place. Does it depend on UCAS points etc if you can change. I would like to change within the same uni and do not want to take a year out.

Can't find any info on this anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will likely have to meet the standard admissions criteria for the new subject. So for transferring to Law this could also mean you may need to have an LNAT score. You should contact the uni though to check what they would require.
Reply 4
Original post by Helloworld_95
You will likely have to meet the standard admissions criteria for the new subject. So for transferring to Law this could also mean you may need to have an LNAT score. You should contact the uni though to check what they would require.

That's the problem I have, due to personal reasons I didnt do too well at A Levels and so did not meet the criteria for English although I still got offered a place, and also will therefore not meet the entry requirements for law this year. I had a gap year but I had glandular fever for 6 months so was unable to go to college to redo my exams like I planned to. I havent had much luck! My grades really arent a reflection of my ability! If I email them and enquire will it reflect badly on me and not show a dedication to my course if they don't allow it? What is an LNAT score? Sorry none of my family have gone to uni and my college was pretty bad at advising us. Thanks for your time.
Original post by nerual26
That's the problem I have, due to personal reasons I didnt do too well at A Levels and so did not meet the criteria for English although I still got offered a place, and also will therefore not meet the entry requirements for law this year. I had a gap year but I had glandular fever for 6 months so was unable to go to college to redo my exams like I planned to. I havent had much luck! My grades really arent a reflection of my ability! If I email them and enquire will it reflect badly on me and not show a dedication to my course if they don't allow it? What is an LNAT score? Sorry none of my family have gone to uni and my college was pretty bad at advising us. Thanks for your time.

As I said, it's likely but they may take into account the reasons they gave you the conditional offer for English when considering you for law. The LNAT is an admissions test for entry to law courses, although this isn't required by every law school, in fact very few ask for it.
Reply 6
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking if I enquire now if I do have to do that test then least it won't hold up the transfer if I am able to do that. Its a relief to have an unconditional offer which is why I was reluctant to give it up with no guarantee. Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending