The Student Room Group

QTS Skills Test 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rosie.manning
Hi Layla,

I passed mine today! The first ever practice test I did I was getting 18%. By the time it came to the test I was getting 75%.

I would say the things that helped me the most were:
- Knowing my times tables
- Learning methods for quick division/multiplication
- Learning how to read different charts and graphs
- Knowing what mode/median/range means
- Completing practice tests

I bought two books which I found helpful, although this may be too late for you. However, I bought a subscription to Numeracy Ready which provides 20 practice papers plus assistance with things you don't understand. I have 6 papers left which can be used on my account which are of no wish to me. You are more than welcome have my account details if you wish. Just let me know.

Good luck with your revision, you will be fine!

Rosie :smile:

Hey, rosie.

I failed my maths by 2 marks today, the questions did not mirror the one's on DFE website or the Patmore books.

If it's possible could I have access to those papers please?

Regards.
Original post by sanz ali
Hey, rosie.

I failed my maths by 2 marks today, the questions did not mirror the one's on DFE website or the Patmore books.

If it's possible could I have access to those papers please?

Regards.

Hi, I failed my numeracy by 2 marks on Saturday it was my 2nd attempt, I failed my first one by 1 mark :frown: the exam on Saturday was so hard nothing like any practice one, I have 3 books on numeracy skills tests and it was harder then any practice questions in those!

I feel so deflated and don't see how I will pass the 3rd one with nerves and pressure! I've tried to sign up to numeracy ready I get through to pay with paypal then it just tells me to sign in again!
Danielle
Reply 82
I passed mine, first time, back in January.

Yay!
hey, this really worries me as everyone told me that the practice tests are harder than the real
Original post by DanielleDurose
Hi, I failed my numeracy by 2 marks on Saturday it was my 2nd attempt, I failed my first one by 1 mark :frown: the exam on Saturday was so hard nothing like any practice one, I have 3 books on numeracy skills tests and it was harder then any practice questions in those!

I feel so deflated and don't see how I will pass the 3rd one with nerves and pressure! I've tried to sign up to numeracy ready I get through to pay with paypal then it just tells me to sign in again!
Danielle

hey, this really worries me as everyone told me that the practice tests are harder than the real
Original post by DanielleDurose

Danielle

Hey Hun, don't give up! I've failed both attempts by 1 mark both times! Just try not to get too disheartened, I know it's easier said than done but you just gotta keep trying! 😊 I don't like numeracy ready as it doesn't seem to help all that much! I would recommend GA Numerical- they've helped so much! Chin up! We'll be fine xx
Original post by lindsey101
Hey Hun, don't give up! I've failed both attempts by 1 mark both times! Just try not to get too disheartened, I know it's easier said than done but you just gotta keep trying! 😊 I don't like numeracy ready as it doesn't seem to help all that much! I would recommend GA Numerical- they've helped so much! Chin up! We'll be fine xx

Yes, stay positive. Do you know which part you fail on, does it tell you?
Original post by funkygloss
Yes, stay positive. Do you know which part you fail on, does it tell you?

Yes, if you do fail, which I'm sure you won't, it will give you the categories you need more work on out of the three (mental arithmetic, written arithmetic and written data). I know it sucks but I would try and get as many of the mental arithmetic questions right as possible! That's been my downfall both times, but I've seriously brushed up on my mental arithmetic and am feeling much better going into it than I previously did.
Reply 88

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have to admit I didn't do too much work towards it and considering I haven't done Maths in two years I was shocked to have passed.

The first maths questions are very quick and I think I only managed about half marks on them. Fortunately, the second part is a lot more easier, just take your time.
Hey! I do English Literature for A2 and somehow failed the literacy one, which caused me much confusion. After doing some practises online, i was still failing... turns out i had been pressing 'next' on the grammar section (where you add in the punctuation and what not)... good job there is no test for common sense or i would have failed every time.
The only advise i can give for this it to know the structure of the test by doing as many prices one's as you can, so you know exactly what you are doing and don't miss out anything important.
As for the maths, again, the practise's helped me to stimulate my brain slightly after not doing maths for so long, however they give you a piece of paper to scribble things down on- USE THIS! I'm not even joking, without this, i would have failed.
Also, although you may want to go through and double check your answers, I found on a few occasions i had written my answer in the box and went to check my sum over again, only for the question to end and move onto the next one, so my answer was' submitted and it went down as unanswered. The time taken to double check cost me the question, so always submit your answer before double-checking to make sure you answer at least every question.
Hope this helps. Good Luck!
Hi, what exactly do you all do to revise apart from doing the practise tests? Do you create similar questions yourself or do you just read over the methods for each wuestions.

I just don't know what to do for the best!
Original post by Jadey1987
Hi, what exactly do you all do to revise apart from doing the practise tests? Do you create similar questions yourself or do you just read over the methods for each wuestions.

I just don't know what to do for the best!

Numeracy - Buy Numeracy Ready it takes the stress of everything i bought it did 1 solid days revision and passed

Literacy i failed first time by 1 mark :frown: my re take in next week and i picked up a book from amazon to get me going!
(edited 8 years ago)
failed my second attempt of numeracy by 1 mark. what the furk. so annoyed. again none of the stuff on the practice tests showed up!!!! :angry::angry:
failed my second attempt of numeracy by 1 mark. what the furk. so annoyed. again none of the stuff on the practice tests showed up!!!! :angry::angry:

dont be disheartened i failed first time.

Buy numeracy ready it is so good its amazing,

Numeracy is easier out of the two skills test as there is one answer!

Honestly dont worry

Buy Numeracy Ready and work through it .

Chin up x
Original post by hiijabii
dont be disheartened i failed first time.

Buy numeracy ready it is so good its amazing,

Numeracy is easier out of the two skills test as there is one answer!

Honestly dont worry

Buy Numeracy Ready and work through it .

Chin up x

i was thinking of buying it, is it just like the real thing as in the test? do you have any papers left i could try please?

its the most frustrating when its only one mark. what kind of things were on there?
learn how to * fractions. (mental arithmetic).

In the second part, you'll get familiar and very unfamiliar graphs which you have to use logic to.

they also chuck in a basic question but will add something silly to it to throw you off.

Is numeracy ready worth it??????
learn how to * fractions. (mental arithmetic).

In the second part, you'll get familiar and very unfamiliar graphs which you have to use logic to.

they also chuck in a basic question but will add something silly to it to throw you off.

Is numeracy ready worth it??????

divide fractions? yeah i think they just put in unfamiliar questions. not sure yet as im hesistant to try it. have you rebooked your test yet?
i was thinking of buying it, is it just like the real thing as in the test? do you have any papers left i could try please?

Hey,

it is exactly like the real exam, with video tutorials and written help

I have given my username out to my colleagues so theirs no exams left!

Invest in it!

I passed my Literacy today at 5pm in my 2nd attempt!

The relief is amazing!
divide fractions? yeah i think they just put in unfamiliar questions. not sure yet as im hesistant to try it. have you rebooked your test yet?

Numeracy Ready is 100% worth it, its how i passed...

Numeracy test has

FDP - converting between them

24 hour clock and telling the differnce in time

Converting currency using proportion

Pie Charts, Bar Graphs and Cumulative Graphs and Scatter Diagrams for sure.

i found it really handy to write my 6-12 times tables before the test as lots of the fractions questions were mutlitples of 8 and 9

The questions are tricky but numeracy ready really helps

Today was the English

The punctuation needed brackets lots of semi colons colons and commas and lots of capitals letters for names

The comprehension was easy it was on Cyber Bullying and its effects and the point of it was the fact that cyber bullying was worse than actual bullying....

The spellings were annoying i can remember the following..

Governmental
nauseous
implemented
success
sustained
parallel
Omitted

apologies i cant remember the rest

Good Luck if i can pass anyone can !!

i turned up to my first ever literacy exam and was told it was numeracy and literacy was the following week - this is how challenged i am!!

:wink:

x

Quick Reply

Latest