The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham for sociology and anthropology or Leeds for international relations?

Which is best for a career in law
The difficulty of posting on a forum like this is that people only have their own narrow viewpoint and it's difficult for us to know one way or the other what the whole picture is. I can speak on Anth/Soc at Durham, given that is my course, but cannot speak at all on the IR AT Leeds, of course, and equally my knowledge of law conversion courses is limited.

Having said that, Anth/Soc gives you a pretty decent grounding in a number of skills that would be useful for Law. It's heavily essay-based, often uses assignments based on group work (depending on which modules you choose), critical analysis skills, both theoretical and applied knowledge in both parts of the course and, above all, a completely different perspective on humanity as a whole - you stop taking things for granted (this I've found mostly with anthropology in my experience) and learn to look at the bigger picture of things. You have the option to take a language course as well, if that would be helpful for you. So you have a lot of opportunity to gain/develop skills that would be beneficial. That is the best I can say from my own experience, but if you have any further questions on the course itself, let me know :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest