University of East Anglia
Keele University
Lancaster University
University of Leicester
Loughborough University
University of Reading
University of Surrey
University of Sussex

Don't deny it. These 12 universities are better than some Russell Group universities. Some Russell Group universities would be worth replacing by some of these universities or these 12 should all join to form a group that can compete with the Russell Group.
(edited 9 years ago)
I would say only a few of these can be considered that much better than some RG's. Only St Andrews would truly be better than many RG unis. But if you are talking about research, there is a reason RG unis are RG unis, its because they are big unis with a lot of research funding.

People are way too obsessed with not being in the RG. RG is just used on TSR as a way of saying "good unis" without literally listing them all out.
Original post by Okorange
I would say only a few of these can be considered that much better than some RG's. Only St Andrews would truly be better than many RG unis. But if you are talking about research, there is a reason RG unis are RG unis, its because they are big unis with a lot of research funding.

People are way too obsessed with not being in the RG. RG is just used on TSR as a way of saying "good unis" without literally listing them all out.

But some of them do beat some RGs in terms of teaching quality and employability. Bath and Surrey for Instance. Do you think Reading is better than some of the RGs?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Raymat
But some of them do beat some RGs in terms of teaching quality and employability. Bath and Surrey for Instance. Do think Reading is better than some of the RGs?

Bath and Surrey are probably better than some, but does it matter? I wouldn't really say Reading is better than some RGs, maybe for some subjects but I would probably go to a RG over Reading.
Reply 4
Russell group is about being research heavy/having a lot of research funding and nothing else. Teaching quality etc. doesn't even come into it. The amount of people who are obsessed with RG is ridiculous, especially ones who study subjects that aren't even research oriented, they fail to realise there is NO POINT in caring.

Posted from TSR Mobile
People seem to think RG and less so on UK websites, but still the Ivy League are to do with how good they are. They're not - RG is a group of large research intensive universities, and thats it. The recently disbanded 1994 group was the same, a pressure group designed to protect the interests of smaller research based institutions.

The ivy league is essentially a group of universities who are keen on sport and athletics tournaments.

But still; TSR is a small representation of the student population. Outside of the TSR people care a lot less.
Reply 6
Original post by Raymat
University of St Andrews
University of Aberdeen
University of Bath
University of Dundee
Keele University
Lancaster University
University of Leicester
Loughborough University
University of Reading
University of Surrey
University of Sussex

Don't deny it. These 12 universities are better than some Russell Group universities. Some Russell Group universities would be worth replacing by some of these universities or these 12 should all join to form a group that can compete with the Russell Group.

Most were, they were in the 1994 Group. Even those that weren't, such as Aberdeen, are still affiliated to other groups - The wonderfully named "University of the Arctic" for example.

Your assertion that they are "better" than some RG universities is also without foundation.
Reply 7
This is definitely true. I doubt in the real world RG or that group even matter, as for many courses those universities come out very close to the top compared to some RG's.

The only difference is the funding, nothing more. To me it doesn't matter, because there is no distinction in my head - they are all just good universities for me. A good university is what you make it, on your personal needs and wants, not a list someone has compiled.
Reply 8
Original post by Raymat
University of St Andrews
University of Aberdeen
University of Bath
University of Dundee
Keele University
Lancaster University
University of Leicester
Loughborough University
University of Reading
University of Surrey
University of Sussex

*University of Kent :wink:

Completely agree with OP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending