The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No. It is run for profit, hence they promote stories which will sell.
Yes. It's controlled by Jews, as everyone knows, and all the Jews I know are reasonably trustworthy, ergo this is a good thing and all media outlets can be trusted. :p:

... No.
Definitely. If you can't trust the media, what can you trust?

I mean, it's not like TV-stations, newspapers and radio stations are owned by people.
I don't.
Reply 5
Totenkopf
I mean, it's not like TV-stations, newspapers and radio stations are owned by people.

Murdoch's an alien? News to me.
Socrates
Murdoch's an alien? News to me.

Ever heard of sarcasm...? :p:
Reply 7
Hard to pick up online...
Reply 8
Some can be trusted, some cannot.

Although surely we are all more likely to trust a newspaper if it holds with our own individual bias and beliefs?
Reply 9
Most major media outlets can be trusted not to lie, but none can be trusted to present all the news that is really important (instead of leaving some out, or sensationalizing a large part of it) or to properly represent the positions of the people/groups mentioned in the news. Whenever you read a story by a credible paper, you shouldn't be thinking why part X or Y are false, but rather what has been omitted from the story.
Reply 10
Most newspapers are run for influence rather than profit, in fact there are very few directly profitable papers.

The ones that I read however (The Economist and the Financial Times) I do trust. Simply because these are the papers read by the world's decision makers and as such tend to give a fair view and report accurately. The Economist gets on my wick occasionally because it does add spin to its comments, but it's usually done obviously and they don't hide their opinion, which is usually well thought out even if I might disagree with it. On the whole it's a very good publication

Not just me who thinks this about the financial press either, Noam Chomsky rates the FT as the best newspaper in the world for the same reason.
Mikesev
Not just me who thinks this about the financial press either, Noam Chomsky rates the FT as the best newspaper in the world for the same reason.

Dear lord, you think it's a recommendation of impartiality when CHOMSKY rates it?
It's all *******s.

In fact. A few major companies rule the world.
Mikesev
Most newspapers are run for influence rather than profit, in fact there are very few directly profitable papers.

The ones that I read however (The Economist and the Financial Times) I do trust. Simply because these are the papers read by the world's decision makers and as such tend to give a fair view and report accurately. The Economist gets on my wick occasionally because it does add spin to its comments, but it's usually done obviously and they don't hide their opinion, which is usually well thought out even if I might disagree with it. On the whole it's a very good publication

Surely if important people read it then there is even more reason to try and be biased right? It would have to be a lot smarter tho.

No I don't trust the media - I have become more and more cyncial of them over the years.

The only thing I activley use for my source of news now is the BBC Website because its about as good as it gets IMO.
Agent Smith
Yes. It's controlled by Jews, as everyone knows, and all the Jews I know are reasonably trustworthy, ergo this is a good thing and all media outlets can be trusted. :p:

... No.

I don't know any Jews - what does this mean? Better to trust then devil you know than you don't? :wink:
Reply 15
Socrates
No. It is run for profit

The BBC isnt.

The guardian isnt.

Just a couple of examples.
Lawz-
The BBC isnt.

The guardian isnt.

Just a couple of examples.

And I'd describe neither of those (particulary not the Guardian) as neutral or impartial. So apparently it's not money that sets the agenda, it's ideology.
Reply 17
I don't trust the media because the stories can be over-blown or only focused on certain parts/views to be more appealing to people.

The papers can be biased, depending on the political views of the editors.
The reporters themselves have their own opinions on stories and can make them visible too.

It's not that the news is falsely reported, it's just that the people behind publishing it like to include their own opinions, which can change the way people 'take it'.
Reply 18
hustler
To what extent do you trust the things that go on the media? Why?

The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.

http://www.nmauk.co.uk/nma/uploads/2296/Sun---Wotwonit_hires.jpg

It was the Sun wot won it. I find such headlines disgustingly insulting. The newspaper is basicly saying. You're stupid, so stupid we know you won't understand correct grammar so we'll make a jackass of you and you'll still buy our paper!

Do I trust them? No.
Reply 19
Lawz-
The BBC isnt.

The people at the top are eating out of our TV licenses. Same difference.

The guardian isnt.

News to me. Is the Guardian a charity?

Latest

Trending

Trending