The Student Room Group

Do you consider Egyptians as Middle easterners or Africans ?

and if there are some in tsr do you consider yourselves africans or not ? and Why ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good question. I would generally say Africans but I'm not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Middle Eastern because of the language and culture
Reply 3
Middle Eastern but I don't know why exactly. [Egypt is in North Africa]

Posted from TSR Mobile
Middle East, since Arabs refer to Egypt as "The Mother of the World".
Of course they are Africans!!!!

Middle East is a different geographic region.

Also.. there are other African countries with similar religion/culture to the Arabic. But calling Egiptians of Arabs is kind of a racial prejudice indeed... People consider that Africans are just black people! That is just wrong guys.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
They are Africans because they are natives of Africa.
Reply 7
If you want to denominate Egyptians simply by the continent they live on, then of course they are African. However ethnically they are Semitic and should be refereed to as Arabic.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
They obviously aren't Africans. Saying "they live in Africa" is silly, noone considers white South Africans to be Africans for example (try applying for US scholarships aimed at "African Americans" if you are white and see what happens)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by jokes2
they are not natives of africa...

Are Tunisians, Libyans, Moroccans, and Algerians also Arabic then? They speak Arabic, but they are very much African.
Reply 10
Original post by ATW1
They are Africans because they are natives of Africa.

They are not natives of Africa on a larger scale, because their predecessors were not.
Reply 11
Original post by ATW1
Are Tunisians, Libyans, Moroccans, and Algerians also Arabic then? They speak Arabic, but they are very much African.

They are ethnically Arabic. Ever heard of the Arabic conquest ? Call them African_Arabic if you wish.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by jokes2
They are ethnically Arabic. Ever heard of the Arabic conquest ?

The question wasn't about ethnicity. It was simply 'Do you consider Egyptians as Africans'. They are Africans, end of story.
Reply 13
Original post by ATW1
The question wasn't about ethnicity. It was simply 'Do you consider Egyptians as Africans'. They are Africans, end of story.

Well there is a difference between African and Native African. Think about Native Americans or for example, a 10th generation Asian American is still Asian.
Reply 14
Actually the question should be whether you consider Egyptians to be African or Asian.
From my experience, people from the top of Africa, namely Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt, etc. don't like being called "African". Again, this is just from talking to friends.
Egypt, Algeria, Libya, Tunisia etc, are in the continent of Africa, therefore I consider them Africans.
I just consider them Egyptian lol. Egyptians have a pretty distinct look.

But Egypt is in Africa so they're african as well obvs.
Both. The Middle Eastern cultural region stretches much further than the Middle Eastern geographic area.
Reply 19
Original post by Arbolus
Both. The Middle Eastern cultural region stretches much further than the Middle Eastern geographic area.

this

Quick Reply

Latest