The Student Room Group
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London

Accommodation 2015 / 2016

Hey,
I'm gonna be starting at Goldsmiths in September as a Media and Communicatons student (fingers crossed I get the grades!)
I was just wondering if anyone was considering living in private accommodation during first year?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Dont do it, its expensive as hell and I have friends who are paying £300 a week for private accommodation. Unless you have to ofc, but I'd go into halls. Also Med&Comms student here, PM me if you wanna know anything.
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London
Reply 2
Thanks so much for letting me know! I may have to consider a shared house or something because I'd have to stay in London during the holidays so I can work (the company I work for are only offering me a permanemt transfer, not a student alteration). Do you know if I can stay in halls during the holidays at all?
That's so great, I'll let you know if I have any questions! :smile:
Reply 3
Yeah you can rent halls over summer, I dont know when you have to ask them about it, but I know they do it. There is also this: https://www.facebook.com/groups/357722774305614/?fref=ts
group on facebook that advertise rooms in house shares also, if you wanted to do that. However halls are the best for making friends and having a great time while studying ofc. Get an ensuite if you can if in Halls, either in Loring or Chesterman since its right next to uni (which means you can get up super late for lectures)
Reply 4
Fantastic, thanks so much for all your help! I'm definitely gonna stick to halls!
Reply 5
Also try and get top floor if you can. I know its a ball ache to walk upstairs but I live below a ****ing troll who stomps their feet all day everyday and it literally has drove me insane since September.
Original post by wofih
Dont do it, its expensive as hell and I have friends who are paying £300 a week for private accommodation. Unless you have to ofc, but I'd go into halls. Also Med&Comms student here, PM me if you wanna know anything.

I am considering universities and I was accepted in Goldsmiths Media & Communications..May I pm you to ask a few things?:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Doppelgangermuse
I am considering universities and I was accepted in Goldsmiths Media & Communications..May I pm you to ask a few things?:smile:

sure thing :smile:
Go with halls. I encourage everyone to do it. Two of my past flatmates moved out into private and both came very close to dropping out because it put them in horrible situations. I'm not saying that would happen to you, but it's such a risk. I've seen friends get so depressed from living in less than ideal places. Whether it's the people or the place... at least in halls you can do room swaps, get maintenance problems fixed right away... For as long as you're able to, I'd go with halls. I'm in Loring at the moment. I've also lived in Surrey Annexe where I met some great people. I'd say overall Loring wins hands down for me though. It's all ensuite rooms, right outside the train station, right next to Sainsburys and Iceland, right next to everything... 2 minutes from uni through the shortcuts, which is a winning factor for me on my lazy days. Last week I had a 9.30 lecture and literally woke up 10 minutes before. Don't underestimate that! :smile: Although the people this year have been kind of dull... my other experiences in Loring were great. The students are really friendly and really look out for you. Best of luck.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Thanks for letting me know, I really appreciate it! I'm defo getting halls now.
Original post by sineadward95
Thanks for letting me know, I really appreciate it! I'm defo getting halls now.

Glad you decided on halls. One other thing, if you are a London student, you will most likely only get halls in your second semester like I did this year. I was lucky to get it earlier one year but usually it's not like that. If you are a London student, apply the moment applications open - like, in that minute, literally. I applied a few hours after the deadline opened last year because they opened early and I'm sure it affected my place on the London list. If you aren't a London student, congratulations, I am sure you will get it right away. I've only known one girl who lived in Swindon had to travel for first semester but that was nearly 2 years ago. Good luck! x

Quick Reply