The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

2015 mmu accommodation

Scroll to see replies

I honestly have no idea where to start with accommodation you know. Have no clue what I'm even looking for!! All I know is that I deffos wanna live with people and not be on my own hahah. Plus, I dunno if you drive but I don't know if it'll be worth me bringing my car because I dunno how close everything is? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Original post by Zara_hejazi
I honestly have no idea where to start with accommodation you know. Have no clue what I'm even looking for!! All I know is that I deffos wanna live with people and not be on my own hahah. Plus, I dunno if you drive but I don't know if it'll be worth me bringing my car because I dunno how close everything is? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very limited parking so might be best to leave the car at home - the uni is very close to the city centre bus routes train stations etc. As I said before daisy bank and Wilmslow park excluded all halls are very close. All uni accommodation is shared so to speak - you get your own room usually within a flat of between 4-10 who you share a kitchen n living area and showers n loos if it isn't en suite.

What will you be studying?
Reply 22
What made you want to come to Manchester? Don't worry about halls, they all seem to be close to everything so just go for the one that looks the nicest and most social! Have a look on their website at some of the photos and that. I drive too yes but I don't think im gonna bring my car, when I went on the open day we walked to everything and the furtherest place away is like only a 15 minute walk so I don't think it would be worth it! Also you will limit yourself on accomdation as only like 2 have secure car parks, then that's extra money to park your car there, all adds up doesn't it :frown: x
Aww really? There's no point me bringing it if there's no where to park. I'm studying Social Care, I know birley fields is really close to the campus but it seems rather pricey?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was never my plan to come to Manchester to be honest, dunno if I should be saying that? Hahaha. But my original plans kinda got messed up and manchester was my plan B just because I've heard good things about it and there seems to be loads going on. Yeah that's made my feel a bit better now that I have some knowledge on parking. Petrol, parking and stuffs gunna be so expensive so it's probably a no-go😂x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aww really? There's no point me bringing it if there's no where to park. I'm studying Social Care, I know birley fields is really close to the campus but it seems rather pricey?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Birley Fields accommodation is right on the Birley campus but that makes it further away from the main bars etc which are closer to All Saints. Either way anything close to All Saints is at most a 10 minute (slow) walk.

Birley is brand new that's why its the most expensive.
Which halls would you recommend that are averaged price, good for social aspects (not too party-ish) and is close-by?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which halls would you recommend that are averaged price, good for social aspects (not too party-ish) and is close-by?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cavendish are the most basic
Cambridge is supposedly a party atmosphere
Briarfields/Oxford/Victoria are all very close to each other
Medlock is a private hall that MMU reserve rooms in
Birley is close for lectures and shiny and new

I don't love in uni halls (I am in private halls) so have no personal experience but several of my coursemates live in various ones.

Obviously everyones experience is different - it all depends if you get one with your flatmates - suppose larger flats give you a greater opportunity to find someone you like.
So is cavendish also shared because when I looked at them it said individual whereas others said 4-5 rooms? So I'm slightly confused!

But thank you so much for your help, got much more of an understanding of the halls now 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Someone posted a description of Cavendish somewhere else on an accommodation thread - think you get an individual room along a long corridor and you share a small kitchen and toilet facilities on each floor rather than rooms being arranged in a small "flat" style
Ahh okay! Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh okay! Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are welcome! Good luck
Reply 32
Hopefully you feel better now after getting more info on accommodation? I was thinking cavendish as it's the cheapest and sounds livelyish haha! X
Yeah much! By the looks of it, that's the block I'm gunna look into too. Same reasons as you really, I'd rather save 20 pounds a week ahaha. I'll have a look into it over the next few days and will hopefully have an idea by 7th April! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Yeah deffo sounds like the best option doesnt it! Do you know when we can actually apply for them? is it the 7th? x
Yeah starts from 7th April! We don't need a deposit do we? Think it's just £100 that we get given back if I remember rightly? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
ooh okay thats not too far away! Im not too sure about the deposit but sounds about right yes, i musnt have been paying attention when they told us about this on the open day, oppss hahah! x
I think I'm right but don't quote me on it 😊x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
https://www.facebook.com/groups/782652498474397/

Just found this facebook page that you could join too, its everyone thats going man met next year, discussions on accommodation and courses and that :smile: x
Ooo okay thank you! I've been trying to search for something like that on here but even better on facebook 😊 X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending