The Student Room Group

How hard is the maths in BEng Chemical Engineering?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jakes12345
To answer the thread poster's message (I'm a final year ChemE, taking a break from my chemical plant design course)

The math by itself isn't an absolute disaster compared to what math majors do; in fact, we are limited to ODEs and PDEs more often than not, because chemical engineers, like many other engineers, are concerned with 'rates' (rates of fluid movement, rates of mass transfer, rates of reaction), which are more often than not in ODE/PDE form.

In introductory courses, the math that you see in MechE will be roughly similar to that in ChemE, because both of them focus on transport phenomena (movement of fluids through pipes/surfaces) as a foundation. After that, ChemE can arguably take on more math, because chemical engineers are much more theoretical engineers than MechEs; we design the chemical plants (that is, use equations to specify how big the tanks should be, how much chemicals I should be feeding into my reactors/separators), whereas MechEs have more hands-on work.

That being said, the most difficult part about engineering in general isn't the math. It is the applied thinking that you need. Every problem is something you have to simplify first, then synthesize the equations, and solve them. This calls for memorization skills (to know which assumptions to apply), mathematical skills (to solve the equations), and lastly, the applied thinking skills to even start piecing the problem together to tackle it. That's why people deem Engineering one of the hardest majors to take in university, because hard sciences such as Biology tend to be skewed towards memorization, whereas social sciences are highly-ambiguous.

But the logical thinking skills you acquire after 4 years (it will be beaten into you, don't worry), will make you highly-employable and sought after as an engineer, regardless of what engineering you choose. ChemEs are perceived to earn more because they have a gateway into the Oil and Gas industries.

Choose wisely, and enjoy your university life.

Thank you! This was a very informative reply! :smile:

So as you've almost completed the degree, how did you find enjoying university whilst studying BEng Chemical Engineering? Do you feel you still had enough free time to enjoy it over the 3 years? Or did you find yourself missing out on social events often?
Original post by jakes12345
x

:hi: Can I ask if there's a lot of physics in Chemical Engineering? Would you say taking A-Level Physics is a must for it? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by karmacrunch
:hi: Can I ask if there's a lot of physics in Chemical Engineering? Would you say taking A-Level Physics is a must for it? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

any kind of engineering will have physics in it! Especially chem eng where you will be dealing with transport phenomena. As to how much, not so sure but from what i've seen it seems to be a good mix of physics and chemistry.
Original post by a10
any kind of engineering will have physics in it! Especially chem eng where you will be dealing with transport phenomena. As to how much, not so sure but from what i've seen it seems to be a good mix of physics and chemistry.

I assumed so but I'm just thinking about what I might want to do in the future. :tongue: If I did pick ChemEng (in about 2 years time though) I'd probably end up taking Physics over Biology as an A-Level. (:
Thank you! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by harry218
Hey,

I have an offer to study mechanical engineering next year, however I'm beginning to worry whether ill cope with the maths, as usually most candidates are on A* equiv in maths and I am struggling, aiming for a B grade.

I called up the uni to see if I can switch courses to something else however I am only limited to switching to another engineering course such as chemical.

I was wondering how hard the maths is? and whether the maths in chemical is less intense than mechanical

Thanks

I got a C in a level maths but got a first in my maths uni exam.

Like me, there's people who know the content but just get unlucky on the a level exam day.
Hey,

I'm currently a 2nd year ChemEng (MEng), and I think 'maths' connotes different things in different contexts:

I was always told I was good at maths, however that was only in primary school (where I was placed with the year above) at which point I seemed to turn off (and have scraped by ever since).

I have found that 'being good in maths' simply isn't a thing. You will get theoretical maths and derivations or you will get an equation on a data sheet.

It boils down to you learning when and where to use an equation, now is that being good at maths? I know deriving equations can sometimes be helpful, but a lot of the time I have found (and been told) that you don't need to know why an equation works. You want to build a pendulum? Why do you need to know the derivation of a spring equation? You don't. Does that mean you're bad at maths? I don't think so. If you can pass these exams without knowing where every equation comes from does that make you good at maths? Again, I don't think so.

So effectively, I don't think being 'good at maths' is possible. However, I do think that with practice you can answer anything through the use of interpretation, recollection and application. I don't think there are any skills you can learn that are specific to maths apart from the obvious mental quantity manipulation, which can easily be learned. Although, this may only be for academia.

PS There were people on my course last year who came in with college qualifications and had never done 'hardcore maths' as they put it. A lot of people had done further maths, but I don't think it's necessary (I still got a 1st :biggrin:) This reply looks awful because I'm feeling another 6 weeks of constant stress clamping my eyelids shut :smile:

Quick Reply